Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Is it just me or does the new sinc-L filter kicks ass?

A post was split to a new topic: HQ Player and Aurender Conductor

Only been able to give a quick listen but it sounded great.

Going to have to wait for embedded to try Sinc-Lā€¦then a week before Antipodes to apply it

1 Like

@Progisus Have you tried Sinc-L with Chord , is the delay similar or more than Sinc-M?

To 705.6/768k output delay is double of sinc-M.

1 Like

Thanks @jussi_laako I look forward to trying it once it is available on HQP embedded

1 Like

I have to wait for embedded as my desktop is to an RME. Funny, Iā€™ve never been bothered with the delay. I usually listen to whole albums which donā€™t change sample rate. Itā€™s the Prog thing - concept albums.

I am also a album listener and when Roon radio kicks in it does not pause between tracks, but I often pause and start playback. i have to do this when I am comparing headphones or switching between test tracks. The delay is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker but I understand why it is needed. We canā€™t have a 1 M linear filter and expect no delay, part of it is the filter itself and part of it is the buffering needed for a smooth software playback.

The other HQP filters I have tried that have far lesser delay do no sound as good with DAVE, so I guess I canā€™t have it both ways. I am quite keen in knowing if Sinc-L improves over Sinc-M even if it means double the delay.

I tryed Sinc-L filter a couple of dayā€¦and I have to say I donā€™t like it so much, I prefer to stay, poly sinc long lp.
Iā€™ll give it another chance next.
Witch kind of noise shape did you suggest for pcm ?
Giovanni.
P.S: all my file are upsampling to 24/192.

Iā€™ve tried quite a few combos, and at present Iā€™m using Sinc-s NS5 up sampling to 352.8/384. Iā€™ve just upgraded my psu to my switch to a FARAD Super 3 and the whole combo seems to work beautifully.

Yes itā€™s not really for here to discuss but donā€™t underestimate the importance of having a very good power supply. Made a significant difference

@jussi_laako Please add sinc-l to embedded. Iā€™m really enjoying it on the ADI-2 from my MBPro but would love to have it on the Antipodes. Love all the choices HQPlayer gives one!

As usual, it will eventually be in all three v4 products, but they have their own release cycles depending on other product specific details (and my time). So, yes, next release will have it.

2 Likes

Jussi,

I was told my Lyngdorf mp-50 uses an ASRC to up/downsample all inputs to 96kHz because the Lyngdorf performs room correction convolution at such frequency. This is despite its USB DAC input can take up to 192KHz PCM. Therefore, I have ā€œSample rate (/Limit)ā€ set at 96k. (In fact, I prefer 96K sound, much more relaxed than 192K sound).

I really love the sound of Sinc-L. However, no matter what ā€œAdaptive Out Rateā€ I try, for 44.1 (or its multiple) materials, it produces either no sound or 88.2 KHz (I use TDPF for dither) only. I get no sound at all for 48K (or its multiple) materials.

Question: Is there a setting I can use to force Sinc-L to process all materials to 96K? If not, whatā€™s the closest filter setting? (I have both Roon Core and HQPLayer on the same machine with Intel i9900-K with 16GB of RAM, no graphics card.)

Thanks!

No, since sinc-L allows only integer conversion ratios. There is not really similar alternatives that can do 44.1k-family to 96k. But your closest alternatives that can are poly-sinc-xtr and poly-sinc-ext2. Not much in common with either though.

Ok, understood. Thank you.

If I want to use Sinc-L even for 48 (or its multiple, particularly 192K, or DSD) materials, why donā€™t I have sound?

Most DACs donā€™t support DSD at multiples of 48k. But it should certainly work from 48k-base PCM sources to 48k-base PCM output as long as output rate > source rate.

1 Like

Sinc-M is hard to beat; nice intimate forward presentation with sweet non harsh highs. I found sinc-L a little edgy and glaring up top.

ext2 easily the best ! :grin:

2 Likes

Good description. Iā€™ve only listened on my RME and rather like the presentation. Iā€™m looking forward to trying with my Chord TT which could use a little more edge up top. What is your dac?