Which HQP Filter are you using?

I’ve been listening to classical. I’m finding closed-form-fast and DSD5v2 for Redbook to DSD 128 to be very spacious and resolving, without overtaxing the CPU and introducing harshness into the high frequencies.

After playing around for 12 plus hours with that 30 minute time limit, I bought a license and currently up sampling only to 192 pcm since dac is not dsd capable. I am finding minringFIR with NS4 dither to be sounding just wonderful. Listening primarily to blues, jazz and rock. Not sure why I don’t find the poly-sinc filters to my taste/liking.

I have after a few days with HQplayer found that it still sounds best without additional software upsampling and filtering to my DAC. Strangely, even with this, the HQplayer sounds better than playing just through ROON. Not sure why since they should be both streaming bit perfect???

In terms of upsampling, I find DSD better than higher rates of PCM. However both sounds more muddled than just native through to the DAC for me. I also loose a bit of the 3 dimensionality of individual instruments when upsampled.

I use a Chord DAVE streamed from a MAC mini. Perhaps the MAC mini is overwhelmed. Its a dual core i5. But looking at the activity monitor it shows up to only 20% of core being used.

Hello
I just installed HQP. Why the windows settings is so small? (almost unreadable). My screen resolution is high and probably there is a scaling problem, but don’t matter what I do, the settings size does not change. I have a Surface book with a screen resolution of 3000 x 2000

I also find the sync filters annoying as user above.
My three best PCM combinations:

FIR + Gauss1
Sync + Gauss1
Polynomial-1 + Gauss1

Protip: ignore the recommendations in the manual, they lead you to technical correctness over what actually sounds good.

So if you see a “not recommend” do try it.
Begs the question why it would be there in the first place? Like some sort of filter museum.

2 Likes

Great suggestion! FIR / NS4 really make Roon-HQPlayer sing in my setup. Thank you…:grinning:

Thank you Andy for suggestion. It sounds absolutely amazing on my setup. Redbook to DSD 128 with closed-form-fast and DSD5v2.

1 Like

Just started using HQPlayer and I’m really liking ploy-sinc-ext for upsampling pcm to pcm.

Note, some choices of over sampling algorithms will cause the resulting stream (of converted 24/96 and 24/192 pcm) to be unusable by the PS Audio DirectStream Dac (and probably others). If you hit this problem, don’t panic just revert to settings that do work. Another important tip: when you change any choices in HQPlayer and minimize it to return to the desktop, restart the Roon Server software by double clicking the icon before trying out your changes.

Here are the settings that I have settled on at this time, after a fair amount of trial and error.

First, on the main page there is a line of four settings without labels (but if you hover your pointer over them the labels appear). They are Oversampling, Modulator, Sampling Rate, Sample Format/Type. Don’t worry about the first three as you will address them in the Settings window, but the Sample/Format/Type should be set to SDM (DSD). This will tell HQPlayer to convert all of your PCM format music to DSD format.
Under the File tab there is a Settings selection – here are my current choices: SDM Pack: DoP, Buffer: Default, DAC Bits: 32, (ignore the PCM Defaults as you are outputting SDM); In the SDM Defaults box – Oversampling: Poly-Sinc-shrt-mp, Modulator: ASDM7, Bit Rate Limit: 44.1×128, vol max: -3db, multicore DSP: check.
Under the File tab there is a DSDiff/DSF Settings selection – here are my current choices: Direct SDM: check, Conversion Type: Poly-short-lin, Noise Filter: low, Integrator: IIR.

Good luck and please share.

Over the last few days I’ve been listening to the poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s filter using AMSDM7 512+fs modulator, upsampling to DSD 512 and native DSD to the mR and then into the NOS Holo Audio Spring.

This is my new favourite setting. Gobs of soundstage and space, clear sparkling highs without sibilance and revived lower end impact and weight. Jussi has noted the xtr filters are down .1 dB at 21.5 kHz.

Roll on the SonicOrbiter 2.5 upgrade, which fixes the Linux native DSD pop (this was a coding error in ALSA that sent PCM silence signal instead of DSD silence at commencement of Play; fixed in kernel 4.10). I use Add Next or Add to Queue to avoid it or mute the preamp.

Using an i7-7700 (23-30% CPU) and a GTX970 (0-59% GPU) with Multicore and CUDA enabled. Also convolving a wav room correction file in HQP. Unoptimized Windows 10.

@MusicEar, Guy have you heard the Spring with these settings ?

1 Like

@andybob

How are you monitoring the GPU load?

CAM

Works pretty well for the price (free) except the controls are non-responsive over RD on my iPad if it auto starts. Closing it with Task Manager and restarting it the controls are ok.

Sorry for the stupid question but are the new mqa filters in HQPlayer related to Meridians MQA Format, and if yes, what’s the relevance?

Jussi is no fan of MQA. I believe he created the filters to bandaid some of the problems with unprocessed MQA files.

2 Likes

Yes, those filters are multi-use. When used for undecoded MQA files, it removes some of the unwanted noise added by the MQA coding. When used for decoded MQA streams in HQPlayer Embedded (coming from Tidal application, Audirvana, etc) it works as “MQA style but better” slow-roll-off very short upsampling filter. And in other cases it is suitable for use with hires content if such short slow-roll-off filters are desired.

When MQA encoded files are played directly by HQPlayer, there’s also additional MQA noise removal process employed.

3 Likes

Attempting to bring an old thread back to life :grin:

I’ve mostly been enjoying poly-sinc-short-lp-2s (DSD512) with my planar magnetic MrSpeakers Aeon Closed cans, for a few months now but these last few weeks Ive been enjoying poly-sinc-ext2 (DSD512).

From the manual, poly-sinc-ext2:

Linear phase polyphase sinc filter with sharp cut-off and high stop-band attenuation for extended frequency response while completely cutting off by Nyquist frequency (non-halfband). Processing is two stages with minimum factor of 16 before applying special second stage. If difference between source and output rates is less than 32x, operates as a single stage with only the first stage.

Anyone else given poly-sinc-ext2 an extended audition?

Hi Sean, i’m using poly-sinc-ext2 (ASDM7 / DSD256) daily and like it.
Good SQ to my taste (deep, good bass and still “precise”) , not too “heavy” on CPU.

1 Like

I’ve been using poly-sinc ext2 for a few weeks now with DSD7 256+ fs. Upsampling to DSD 512. I’m liking it a lot. Extended highs and good transients with linear phase. What’s not to like ?

1 Like

Good transients with linear phase - so you’re in the Rob Watts camp, not the @jussi_laako camp ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Although you did say good transients - not best or better… hehe

Just poking fun of course. Don’t mean to re-ignite a religious war :grin:

I’m loving ext2 a lot also.

1 Like

I probably upset both of them because I usually feel linear phase is a bit shy with transients. But ext2 has good natural sounding transients to my ear.

1 Like