Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Changing the PCM Conversion to poly-ext2 didn’t change it? I cannot notice any difference in startup time between 4.4.0 and 4.5.0 on my two iMacs. Takes couple of seconds to start. Let’s see if there are other reports about a slow start and something in common in these cases.

One start problem so far was due to intermittent internet problem/lag of macOS talking to Apple servers to verify signature/notarization. But it would happen earlier than in your case. But some internet access problem is still one possibility though.

Ok, so I downloaded the 4.5.0 version on a different iMac and the problem persists. The app freezes at start. I’ve done this test in order to verify that the problem is not related to my license/settings on the main Mac. The main Mac runs Catalina and this second one runs Mojave. Both of the Macs are iMacs.

Could other Mac users please report on this matter? Thanks.

No. This doesn’t change anything.

Running 4.5.0 on Macbook Pro early 2013. Catalina.
pcm,sinc-m,384,ns9. Fed by roon on Antipodes EX over ethernet. Plays to naa on pi 4 to hugo tt. 4 sec start delay. Very solid. Sounds great.

The playback is no issue for me either. Just starting the app. Could you quit the app and start it again? Thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood. Starting the app 6 seconds until it was ready to play.

1 Like

That’s the way it used to work for me too (prior to the current version). Thanks for taking the time to test it.

1 Like

I’ve solved the problem by clearing the data using the option in the Help menu. Now the app starts normally.

1 Like

Upadate to 4.5.0 on windows 10, freeze on splash screen, 100% cpu usage
Starts after few minutes.
Help/clear data helps, thanks Sebastian.

1 Like

But HQPlayer does not update automatically?
In my case not.
Tks Giovanni.

No, on purpose it doesn’t… You need to update manually when you want to update.

Hi,I update manually today, and finally I was able to use Dop up to 64 in my system
and before it was not possible with the same settings …?
now the cpu does a great job, but I’m not sure it makes much sense to stream from qobuz for example 24/96, convert it to dsd 64 via Dop and pass it to the dac which converts it back to pcm.
I saw that a lot of people use it, maybe it makes sense with a 512 DSD, but at 64 it makes sense?
Tks 1000 Giovanni

You didn’t mention your DAC. No, it doesn’t make sense with a DAC that will convert it down to PCM. Instead for those DACs send as high rate PCM as possible.

May dac is N dac by Naim ,only pcm 24/768 and Dop 64/128.
Giovanni.
Instead for those DACs send as high rate PCM as possible ;What difference can a high vs normal up sampling pcm make?
Is not better to manage the original signal?
Giovanni.

I believe this is the one that uses TI’s PCM1704 R2R ladder chips which is pure native PCM DAC.

Point of upsampling is to more accurately reconstruct the original signal that the sampled digital data represents. Especially CD resolution data requires quite a bit of mathematical operations to get accurately reconstructed. The data on CD is not the original signal, but representation of it. From that representation, it needs to be mathematically reconstructed into the smooth analog waveform it represents.

In this DAC you still always have the Naim’s digital filter running in the built-in DSP that you cannot bypass. But you can try to help it with HQPlayer by providing as high as possible sampling rate. The actual conversion will always run at 705.6k or 768k sampling rate there, depending on rate family of the source.

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: HQP and Chord Qutest

1.536 PCM @32 bits is close to 50Mbps indeed so 100Mbps switch is not recommended. I had one before and had problems to stream the same rate as yours (8x384kHz@32bits).

So ,in my case, has no sens to upsampling c.d. 16/44.1 or qobuz 24/96 to 192 via HQPlayer, because the naim N dac do it self the upsampling at 705.6k or 768k internaly ?
Giovanni.

Lots of DACs do internal up-sampling, but have limited power to do that so they use simple filters. Using HQPlayer you can replace the DACs up-sampling with something better.

1 Like

It does make sense. Your DAC just then takes it from 192k to 768k. First step is the most critical anyway.

1 Like