Which Meridian hardware is worth buying now?

Since I am not a computer expert but have reasonable knowledge i do not want to spend 2000€ for equipment that may not work for me and that I cannot properly set up. There are some vendors that build very expensive stuff with Roon on it and sell it for 9000€. Meridian stuff is also overprized and somewhat outdated but since the company is in England and has a representative here who can repair the machines it just a little more reliable
But I am hopefull that in a year we all may know more about MQA and there will be components that work with it at a more reasonable price.

[quote=“Paul_Fisch, post:21, topic:10743”]
There are some vendors that build very expensive stuff with Roon on it and sell it for 9000€.
[/quote]Hi,
I’m interested in knowing what companies are doing this and what products they are selling, are you able to share their detail?

But there are also others in Germany. I would have to look, I got an offer for more than 9000 €, but I apparently deleted this email…No, I did not, see below.

It was this company…
http://www.hgfa.de/Quellgeraete.php

and the server is called Anima and I can forward you their offer with a picture.
This is from their offer without SSD And Roon license.:

Der Preis beträgt 8000,- Euro für den ANIMA, dazu kommt noch die gewünschte SSD Speicherkapazität (je nach Preis bei Bestellung, rechnen Sie aktuell mit ca. 600-700 Euro pro 2 TB, 300 Euro pro 1 TB). Wir kaufen die SSD leider auch nicht günstiger als die aktuellen Amazon Preise und verrechnen nur einen kleinen Aufpreis für den Einbau / Test. Die Roon Lizenz ist im Preis nicht enthalten.

I can forward you their email if you want, send me a message.
Paul

Hi Paul
Quick questions

1. do you have a computer that you can install Roon onto for two weeks??

2. When you originally ripped your CD’s, you likely created a folder of FLAC files for each album prior to importing these into Sooloos… I assume you still have those files stored somewhere??

Yes if you want a truely turnkey RoonServer and don’t want to mess with your own computer you are probably best waiting for a while. It seems like quite a few will be coming but not many are available right now.

8000,- Euro for a PC! That is crazy, even with the best components assembled by tibetan monks.
And then they want extra money for SSD and the Roon Licence. I have no words!
But the saddest part of this is: they have costumers that fall for this
I don’t think, such a thing is possible outside the audiophiile believe system

This thing weighs about 20 kg. It is for “high enders”.

I don’t buy my hardware by weight :slight_smile:
And I’m glad that I’m not one of these highlanders and can buy my excellent hardware for a decent price

At least this company could have the integrity to include a Roon lifetime licence for this price.

I think if it were Italian virgins as previously discussed, this would represent a reasonable price.

1 Like

Yes, but one has to stay fair. There are probably more things included, a DAC, perhaps CD player. Burnaster is offering the 151 with two RAID spinning 2.5" hard disk, one SSD for the core, excellent DAC, operated by tablett (no Roon) for more than 15.000 €. Compared to the 151, this is great offer.

I agree with that!

I think the ironic thing about these €8k and €15k PC’s to run Roon, is that most companies and Roon themselves think that ‘Galvanic Isolation’ is the best way to reduce / eliminate EMI / RFI from the DAC

And thus you would never want your DAC connected directly to a computer with spinning magnetic hard drives, which of course create high levels of EMI

And thus that using single purpose Endpoints, usually LAN based to reduce EMI ingress into the DAC, is the best way forward for optimum sound quality

1 Like

No problem. For 30.000 Euro I will build you a 50kg PC. And it includes a DVD player instead of a CD player! Didn’t that sound fantastic, an even better offer.

Ok, I have to stop here. Sorry for my sarcasm, but I can’t believe how easy it is to get an obscene amount of money from audiophiles.

How much does the Meridian 818v3 cost in Europe?
I have read about MQA. As I understand this is very promising but something which will be more or less a streaming system for which one needs to pay about 20.€ per month like pay TV. Is that right? On this basis it is difficult to envisage that this will prevail…

Duncan’s Meridian Audio Pricelist overview

or in Euro’s (Viertron’s pricelist for NL)

Buy ex-dem from a UK dealer.

We don’t know what the computer is. My QNAP TVS-1271 was quite expensive too and then you need a case around it, a UPS, hard disks, 10 gigabit Ethernet cards. Still doesn’t quite add up to 8k euros, but getting somewhat close’ish.

As a lifelong Meridian fan and owner, I’m going to be controversial. If you have an analogue speaker set up, I wonder if it’s worth buying Meridian at all these days. They have some great products, but if you are not locked into DSP loudspeakers, there are a lot of options elsewhere; not with Sooloos mind, but with Roon as your streaming platform.

What bitrates did your music have to need 10 gigabit ethernet?
Even 100 mbit is enough to stream 7.1 surround in 24Bit 392kHZ uncompressed.
So, for what do you need 100x more? Streaming to 400 parallel stereo endpoints with highest possible highres or stream to 6.000 stereo endpoints at the same time in uncompressed CD quality?

That’s what I’m talking about. It’s no problem to push the price to an insane height by using components with questionable advantage for the clients purpose.

So get a high quality 1 gigabit ethernet card for 10% of the 10 gigabit price and you already have a safety range of 10-100 times more than necessary for your usage.