Which SSD For Synology NAS for better Roon performance

I’d love to know the answer for Johnny_Ooooops question around DS918+ too.

Also, is there any benefit to running Synology 918 package vs Docker container?

No need for an adaptor to install a 2.5” SSD in one of the drive bays, the Synology HDD trays have mounting holes. I have set up one bay on my 1520+ to host a backup core to my i7 NUC and it runs very well, but Roon does eat a lot of RAM, so the 8gb on board the 1520+ is helpful there.

Note: the lower HDD clip is set aside when you fit an SSD, it will only click in with regular HDDs

That’s really helpful. But what does it buy you in terms of performance? Speed of remote experience? Thanks.

I don’t have much comparison experience with other Synology Roon configurations. I briefly ran the Roon database off a regular HDD volume, just to see if Roon would run on my 1520+. I have a small library, do not use DSP effects and stream to only one endpoint at a time. I use an iPad as my control point. With the HDD installation the remote experience was OK but not exactly zippy. Since I had a spare SSD and a spare bay I decided to give that a go, and the responsiveness is fine, and I can’t tell the difference vs using my ROCK NUC as a core. However, around the time I installed the SSD drive, I also installed a small M.2 PCIe cache as the 1520+ has slots for that. So I can’t advise on extent to which each component is contributing to overall responsiveness.

If your funds allow picking up an SSD as a punt then I’d say why not give it a go. I tend to put my new Samsung’s in a Windows machine first so that Samsung Magician can update the drive’s firmware, as I don’t think that can be done via the Synology.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.