Who has tried WiFi 6

Brandon while I understand that it can work for some of us, the reason Roon do not recommend it is that WiFi is not duplex, and that if something else is talking then it gets in the way of Roon and it is sensitive to interference, and that causes the blips and skips that many users complain about.

So while I am happy to make the statement Roon can work on WiFi, there are many on the forums who believe it should work on all WiFi and that is not the case .
What I am guessing Kevin is saying is that we don’t start promoting it as working for all, because it simply does not.

I am on record in this thread as saying I have used WiFi and it works, as are you and Frank, but that will not be the case for many users, so we have to be careful of our statements.
I understand that we are not far apart at all, but I have chatted with many users on these forums who just want it to work, and that is why Roon do the guides, anything else is just a bonus.

2 Likes

That’s a perfectly measured response. I can totally get on board with that.

It’s fine to say, hey if you have properly working modern wifi, it can work fine depending on your needs. But just reading these forums without prior experience, I would expect Roon to hardly be compatible at all with WIFI - that it will be unusable. Specifically, the comment I responded to said “However, I do not recommend using WiFi for Roon, at all. When you have walls, or need the signal to go through another floor, it’ll be bad.” This is no more helpful than saying “Roon will run on any wifi!”.

It’s just as important IMO to not send the message that WIFI won’t work. Also a lot of people’s setups are hybrid (part wired / part wifi).

1 Like

I thought we were fairly close in mindset, and some here stick to close to the Roon recommendations. But the reason is that they pick up a lot of the thread’s and therefore would prefer thing’s stick to recommendations so issues are well understood.

The only reason for adding the updates was that Frank wants to leave this thread for others to pick up and learn from in the future and hopefully we have done that between us all.

1 Like

Almost everyone on this thread, and Michael and Brandon in particular, are doing what should always be done: You’re having a rational conversation and hashing out the differences in your opinions. Not surprisingly, you’re not all that far apart in your perspectives. I respect and appreciate this tremendously!

BTW, playing Stevie Ray Vaughn, “Couldn’t Stand the Weather - The Legacy Issue” upsampling to 88.2Ghz. Playing without a hiccup and sounding spectacular! Thanks again everyone for the help and guidance.

2 Likes

Hey Frank,

Glad you enjoyed the post. I despise ATT, Pac Bell et all as all of the large company’s customer service sucks…they just don’t give a damn. Sonic, although false advertising all over their vans (their painted Van Ad) says you can get Optical service at 1Gig for $40/month…turns out NO ONE can actual get 1 Gig service at that price…but their service is excellent! All you need is a great wireless Router to spread it around the house!

Cheers!

1 Like