Why are the Roon yearly subscription costs high?

I am good with paying for all I get from Roon and the community around it. No software is perfect and Roon does a very good responding to user issues and greater design problems.

I don’t really use JRiver since Roon, but I’m still on v20 and see no reason to upgrade.
JRiver upgrades don’t mean much. Check what the new features are, and if you don’t need them/want them don’t upgrade. You don’t have to upgrade your SW will still work.

I btw, think Roon is worth it. It improves my listening experience in lots of ways, and makes my life easier. I use it constantly, so it seems like a small price to pay.

I can see that for some people it isn’t worth it, but to each his/her own.

1 Like

I suspect V20 database and V28 are a bit different

Admittedly the changes and new stuff is mostly video.

I am not sure where @AceRimmer gets numbers from , maybe master license, but I pay $20 a year for the upgrade. There was one year where there were 2 upgrades in quick succession but it’s normally annual

Happy JRiver user , have been since V16 :heartbeat:

The first time it was upgrade time they wanted $49.95, I still have the email receipt( I finally found it saved in a sub folder).
Then as I said within 6 months it was another upgrade, I never even checked cost as assumed it would be same so said I’m out of here.

It was not until it was pointed out that upgrades were now just $20 that I went back and checked and upgraded again.

This is information I already posted I think?
In response to your prior posts regarding it so I concur.

A couple of euros or so a week is fair value for me. Doesn’t mean I think Roon is wonderful, just that it’s worth a sip of espresso a day. If you’d rather have a sip of espresso, or a mouthful of fries, a day then on you go.

Do you have a master license, mine is Windows only maybe that was the difference.

I keep it going because ot runs my video library but I still maintain my music library too it’s especially good for big box sets where you can define custom tags

No, the accent is not on the service. If it were, every link would just go to some website like last.fm or AllMusic. Done.

Data aggregation is what Roon then does, which is the application of data.

I have a similar disagreement with the, “you’re not forced to continue” with paid updates because it assumes upgrades suddenly have no value. If your computer is no longer compatible you must upgrade. Same with software.

No one was forced to subscribe to Photoshop; they could have kept their $619 boxes CD of the last paid version … and then lost or quit their career unless every future image editing task could still be efficiently performed on a museum computer setup. No, they needed to upgrade. People need to update their copies of JRiver or find another hobby, or a JRiver alternative they appreciate better.

A subscription service can only present a coherent interface to you if it pays for the underlying metadata. Roon is similar, except it should be noted it is not always the same metadata presented, even if it came from the same original source.

In both cases purchased data is being applied.

You may also want to reconsider the notion of “break even” because that’s a value statement that assumes Roon should exist to do you a favor, at least on a case-by-case basis of your own choosing. That’s disingenuous.

I know that different people can afford different amounts. I don’t want to sound privileged, but the annual cost of Roon is a very tiny fraction of the cost of a nice set of speakers and a decent amp etc. If cost if an issue, you might be better spending the money on a Spotify subscription

1 Like

Personally, Roon vastly in increases my enjoyment - mainly due to the metadata and ease of use - biut that’s just me Worthe every cent and more.

3 Likes