Why are we excited about Chromecast (or Sonos)?

Alas, this release has no new features of interest to me.
Brian mentioned that uPNP has been discussed previously but I didn’t notice that. Was hoping for that feature (so I could access my roon library remotely) but doesn’t seem to be in the plans, which makes me sad.

Thanks God they will not do that.
I consider the Qobuz app (years of usage) a PITA.

1 Like

Sorry it doesn’t work for you. Guess apps - and music - are an individual thing. I’m finding the Roon UI and UX is holding it back. Last night I shut down my Rock. I’ve got a lifetime subscription - so I’ll check in in a few months time and see if things have improved.

1 Like

Except for when the hypothetical average android customer is spending .50 and the hypothetical average iPhone customer is spending, say, $2.00 a month. That means I need 4 android customers to make the same revenue I get from one single iPhone customer. And supporting one customer is a whole lot less work than four.
Aiming for the mass isn’t always the best solution.

Such a brilliant statement! Clearly Roon leadership views Chromecast as part of their MVP; minimum viable product.

Warning: Metaphor coming!

One last thing from a happy Sonos owner’s perspective (yes, audiophile community, there are those of us who DO love our Sonos). I love the fact that the Roon team here added in a cheap and easy to use setup in the Chromecast dongles because it makes it accessible to more people and puts it in more places in my house. Since the addition, I got my daughter who didn’t want a Sonos in her bedroom (because “another box?”) using Roon because I connected a $25 Chromecast audio puck into her Bose Wave radio which she loves. And now she loves Roon too - “WOW! I can find bands similar to these ones I like with this? I’ve needed this!!”.

Why bring up Sonos here? Because what makes Sonos a truly compelling solution is that it is basically agnostic - every audio service out there seems to work except for those bastards at MLB that cut us off this year. But this is where the metaphor comes in - the more things you can work with (Sonos with services, Roon with hardware options) the stronger the platform becomes. And Roon went the extra mile to do something that took extra work (i.e. not RAAT and without Google accommodation as best I can ascertain from the Darko.audio article) to make things better for their users. Adding value to my purchase.

People complain about the $500 lifetime license? Not me - I think it’s a steal. Thanks, Roon - I added the Chromecast to my TV for the nice display and turned off my AppleTV nodes. I bought a bunch more pucks while on sale to add to my garage, my workshop, anywhere I have a speaker just sitting around. THANKS, ROON!

7 Likes

Peter, my recollection was that Roon said definitively ‘no’ to uPNP. It’s rare they are that precise.

Hi here’s think link to Brian’s statement.

I was probably being too specific. I don’t give a tinker’s cuss if uPNP is implemented or not. But would love remote access, through my home firewall, such that I can listen to my roon-managed music anywhere!

1 Like

That’s both you & me … and I’d imagine the vast majority of Roon users.

The Roon team have committed to develop remote access … I know it is coming… but it’s a huge project and I’ve no idea on timeline.

1 Like

Two countries separated by a common language…:rofl:

1 Like

I was using my Mojo in DLNA mode while away from home. So thankful to be back home with raat and Roon.

Yeah I like the addition of CHromecast…it let me add ROON to my downstairs system really easily…will get more use in the future I suspect.

Looks from here like we lost airplay and all Apple streaming as an endpoint. Am I wrong?

Airplay devices are still showing up in my list of Audio endpoints, they aren’t in your system?

Added a new airplay device yesterday and initial testing was fine…until I played an MP3 and noticed the clipping issue that others have noted.:frowning:

For those in Oz … I got 2 x 4K units at a special price AU$85 per unit at Harvey Norman Burleigh - maybe at all HN stores…not sure. I think the V2 and Audio were all on special too.

I got a special deal too…full retail ($69) the day before they went on sale. :frowning:

And no, they weren’t at all sympathetic. :slight_smile:

I totally agree.

I gave up the ability to stream podcasts, etc to Squeezeboxes when I switched from LMS to Roon. I know theoretically you can switch squeezeboxes between Roon and something else but teaching my wife how to do this is impossible. Since Roon has a chromecast interface, allowing cast to Roon might be an easy way to do this

Is it me or does Rooncasting (audio pucks at least, not tried music thru the video pucks yet) work better than casting from apps like tidal and such?

I was previously finding casting to be glitchy and laggy but with Roon it’s really smooth, no lagging.