Why do manufacturers support MQA?

This video has been posted a few times already, but I’m going to change the subject here a bit, since this part has not been addressed in those other topics. Sorry @Mediahound for taking over, but your post was about to get moderated as a duplicate anyway.

I’m not going to talk now about the audio/sound/compression/noise/etc quality of MQA (good or bad), but this section is a great description of a problem with MQA that gets little discussion.

Roon added MQA support because it was by far the #1 requested feature in Roon at the time. Many of you want it, and many fewer of you don’t. We went an extra step to make sure our DSP functionality was not destroyed by MQA streams if you wanted the “render”.

I do think the technical side of this video has many issues and incorrect assumptions and the many of the issues he’s showing are his own doing. The author does go into that. Unfortunately, he can’t defend or correct himself because he has been restricted in doing so.

Let’s try to keep this thread on topic, which has nothing to do with sound. Any discussion on the sound quality (good or bad) of MQA will be moderated as off-topic.

14 Likes