Why do manufacturers support MQA?

yah, but I have a feeling this wouldn’t happen. Even when explaining the general gist of our contract, I had a feeling of “uh… should I be doing this?”

Anyway, did you all hear about TIDAL offering new tiers? At face value (let’s stay on topic and avoid the SQ discussion here), it seems they are going from 1) lossy and 2) redbook/mqa/atmos to 3 options: 1) lossy, 2) redbook, 3) mqa/atmos

what was $10/$20 will now be $10/$15/$20

there is already debate about whether the middle tier will be “broken” MQA or actually “source” redbook, but let’s let that conversation happen elsewhere…

Is this a good move for TIDAL? I think so (it gives them a “high-res” offering and flexibility to compete with others.

Is it a good move for manufacturers? I think so, it will more clearly indicate whether their market wants MQA.

Is it a good move for MQA? I’m unsure – it could be brilliant or it could be a nail in the coffin. No more “can’t argue with free, eh?” argument.

Is it a good move for end-users? There will be people who are happy and people who are not. Not super interesting to discuss without understanding what is being offered.

5 Likes