Why do NAS' Struggle with Roon?

I can’t find the thread…but Roon devs make it clear not to use a NAS to store your music files - it’s that continual back/forward data fetching that seems to get things bogged down.

Now that said - there will be a plethora of users here who have their music stored on a NAS & speak highly of their particular set up.

No doubt there are a myriad of variables why that may be so or likewise why the user experience may be sub-par; so a definitive answer isn’t as easy as it seems from my ‘basic’ understanding.

I have about 5700 albums/70000 tracks stored on my 4TB NAS & I’d not say I’m overly happy. I do intend to change my set-up at some point, but typically I get confused/sidetracked with all the computer jargon, when all I really want is as minimal a system that is possible with Roon & that will house my ever-growing library.

That said, I’ve had very few issues (one full on crash relatively recently) & would say that 90% of the time it streams flawlessly, so long as I ensure new files are loaded first of all. Otherwise, playback can skip, which has been spoken about at length by many a user (and that may or may not be NAS related).

Cheers.

Edit:
Here is one such thread I quickly found:

1 Like