Why does Roon Radio favor streaming?

The problem with thumbs up/down on radio is that it’s not learning your preferences. Instead you are training it for overall user preferences. (At least that’s how roon explained it.) The problem with that is that there aren’t enough users and too many genres for it to be effective.

Plus, it’s too much work to keep clicking thumbs up/down for every song when you just want to listen. I suspect that only a few people do it, further limiting the group-think feeding the system.

In fact, it could be just a handful of people who really, really like Bruce Springsteen.

2 Likes

That’s helpful, yet disappointing, to understand. Thanks. I do wish Roon would pay attention to this as the AI exists with other music services and I think they would get more engagement from their users (if they care to) if we knew thumbs up/down helped improve individual music curation and performance.

You’ll get no disagreement from me on this one. As @Rugby explained to me when I was having a fit about it, the basic problem is these are really separate operations. Not everyone wants to add an album and make it a favorite. So adding and ‘hearting’ have to be separate for the time being. Hopefully Roon will install a way to streamline this, as there certainly is a demand for it.

Roon is learning what you like, just not so much with the thumbs. What’s in your library, your listening habits, and your favorites all help Roon learn about you. Even if Roon (Valence, actually), did keep track of ‘thumbs’, it would only be some small component of how songs are picked. This one isn’t worth fussing over, IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree with you on the frustrating process of adding albums and liking songs. I should be able to do one without the other. I should be able to add a track and like it, without cluttering my library w an entire album.

I guess the thumbs process for me, would hopefully help root out some of the artists I just don’t like. No matter how often I skip a song, and tell Roon I don’t like, or tell it not to play an artist, they continue to come back. Like Roon is saying “you sure you don’t like Yoko’s solo stuff?”

2 Likes

“In fact, it could be just a handful of people who really, really like Bruce Springsteen.”

it is, in fact, this. Roon Radio prioritizes popularity. that is, popularity based on what roonies play.

Excuse me if I don’t understand exactly what you are talking about here, but you definitely can just add single songs to your library and like them without adding the entire album. Unless this is a mobile only issue or something.

Perhaps they’ve updated the functionality but I’ve asked before and was told that you had to add the album to your library to be able to like/add the track. I’ve tried again just now and if the song is streaming from Tidal, the “heart” button is inactive. I am doing this from my mobile but I can’t believe that the heart function would exist on mobile app but function differently from the PC version. Thanks!

This begs transparency about who on the dev team is the one obsessed with Celine Dion.

1 Like

You can add a single song by clicking on the three dots to the right of the track and choosing Add To Library from there. At least, that’s how it works on my iPad.

Thanks. You’re correct, from that screen you can, so it’s incorrect for me to say you can’t. What I’m frustrated about is being able to add it right from the playing now screen. I would think it would be from the like/heart button, but it is disabled if the song isn’t already in my library. So, to get to the screen you share, I need to click onto the album, find the song in the album, then click the 3-dots, then add it. Why not enable the like button to do that? Thanks!

1 Like

Have you tried clicking the three dots?

The answer right above this correct, it does the same thing from that screen.

You’re correct and I missed it, thanks I thought it added the whole album, but it does add just the song. Thanks. I guess I’m still confused then as to what the “heart” button does. Even after I add it to my library, I can’t heart it. Isn’t it meant to help me train Valence?

There are numerous discussions of Valence on this site but I haven’t paid much attention to them. However, as far as I know, the Heart has nothing to do with it.

Oh interesting. I had heard it does, perhaps not. I’ll try and dig a little more. I guess what it boils down to is I don’t know what the “heart” button does, but it only lets me select it when I’m playing tracks in my library. Thanks for the dialogue.

It is meant to mark a library track that you like so you can quickly filter for it with the like filter.

I never knew that. Hearts are just a marker? Nothing else?

I never heart and periodically do a sweep to delete all hearts I may have accidentally set. The most annoying thing I find about radio and recommendations and any of the discovery tools is being offered something I would have thought of myself. Sort of misses the point for me. I don’t want to typecast myself with old listening habits. I hope 1.8 makes that even less of a risk. I just assumed hearting influenced discovery tools so I go out of my way to delete them. Sounds like I am wrong?

I don’t know if your favorite indicators are used in Valence. It may be.

Thanks, I misunderstood your prior post.

No problem. Personally, I think it may influence in some way, but, not in such a degree that I would be using Hearts as an influencing methodology.