Why is Roon so demanding of Wifi

The main issue with WiFi for RAAT is that certain common services (like photo backups from phones) can be very bursty and saturate the channel long enough to cause packet losses & retransmits on the RAAT TCP/IP connection that exceed RAAT’s latency tolerance.

Mine does, your missing the main points made at the beginning of the thread.

I use a Eero wifi mesh network with a router and two extenders which are wifi connected. The Nucleus+ is connected to one of the extenders which also has one RAAT endpoint connected. In addition, I have six Sonos nodes throughout the house, all wifi. It is very fast and reliable and my Roon system never experiences drop outs or connection problems.

Adding to the litany: Roon over wifi works great with a well-outfitted Eero system. In my system, the Roon core is hardwired to the gateway via a wired switch, most of the Eero mesh nodes are hardwired, and endpoints are a mix of wired and wifi. No dropouts ever.

I have 5G WI-FI 400mb in Finland and Roon runs without any problems. And I am completely paralyzed and breathing in the machine and only my eyes move and I still use Roon constantly.

100%. I use an Orbi solution, AC5000 series.
One satellite connects a RPI4 endpoint, the main Satellite connects the Roon Rock. Orbi has a dedicated 5ghz backhaul/link. I’ve never had any issues with my Roon setup.

I’m using a Netgear Orbi Mesh network and none of my Roon Endpoints are hard wired since running cables to those locations is either not possible or financially unfeasible. The Orbi network solved most of my WIFI issues, but occasionally I have drop offs on one of my endpoints. That is of course the same location where I experienced the worse WIFI issues before I used Roon. I can’t blame Roon because my split level house makes it difficult for any WIFI network to run perfectly.

3 Likes

I look at some of these Mesh products you guys have and they cost a small fortune :grinning:
I guess that is what I may have to do if problems persist.

I certainly understand the financial issues with retro fitting Ethernet to a home and the difficulty involved with hard to reach locations. Our older home is L shaped 2800 SF ranch style with a low roof, no room to stand up in the attic and no crawl space from one end to the other. Took 2 days to snake cables to each room in the house from a central media closet. 9 drops total, cost $1900.00. For me it was worth the cost and I consider it an investment in my musical enjoyment same as any piece of equipment. A home improvement or remodel project. It is a big job.

1 Like

Steve not compared to most Audio equipment.
Positively cheap by comparison :grin:

1 Like

I’m running three Deco M9’s and they’re pretty much flawless. They’re also a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WRDR22H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Good question. I have no problem streaming 1080P video with 5.1 audio, but Roon with two channel audio is problematic. I really can’t get my head around it.

Just out of curiosity, as a test I changed over to WiFi and have been listening for awhile and it flawless so far. So for me, it is not so demanding empirically. Sure are a lot of strong recommendation to go Ethernet which is why I did.

Is your system wired or wifi? I guess it is wifi? Which router? Which wifi devices?

I use 3 rooters one close to my home office two in my leaving room (one for my security cameras ) Roon runs from my I-Mac at my home office and connects to my NAD c-388 (roon ready) and use the BlueOS module which works flawless. All wireless and have not encountered any problem.

I have yet to read all of the posts but I felt the need to chime in. I currently run Roon Core on a Mac mini. The only endpoints I have in my system are a couple of Apple TV’s and a couple of Google Chromecast devices.

Everything is connected by wifi without issue.

My setup is nothing fancy at all except that I have access to Verizon Fios and since this is a cord cutter home, I order their highest tier with their best router. We have dozens of “smart” devices and everything generally works.

I’m sure the construction of the home, distance of Core to router, and many other factors come in to play…maybe I’m just lucky!

Though I do worry about when I upgrade my Mac mini to a Roon Nucleus in a couple of months…

1 Like

I have found that connecting an Roon endpoint to one of the wireless mesh devices using Ethernet can overcome wi-fi connectivity problems with the endpoint device. That is if the mesh device has an Ethernet port, of course.

2 Likes

I have an Amplifi HD mesh system and have 1 hard-wired and 2 WiFi Roon end points. My WiFi end points are an iPhone when I want to sit on the balcony listening to music on Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and a Chord Electronics Hugo2 plus Chord2Go which I use for my higher end headphone listening inside. Both WiFi endpoints work perfectly except when I move around the house, e.g. to go from my balcony to my kitchen & back to get another beer, and then it is very hit and miss as to whether playback will survive the handoff between mesh points that happens as I move through the house. Playback does continue uninterrupted about 75% of the time, maybe slightly less, but it is not at all uncommon for me to get track skips when I get up and stray too far from my listening position.

Later versions do seem to have improved things a bit. A year ago when moving around the house it would sometimes go beyond track skip, often playback would stop completely and when I got back to the balcony I would find that the Roon remote had deselected the audio zone (my iPhone) entirely and I would have to re-select the audio zone and press play again to get the music to continue which I assume meant that the mesh handover had actually caused the Roon core to think that my end point had powered off completely. Luckily that complete loss of the endpoint doesn’t happen any more but those track skips do make me wish that there was at least a bit more tolerance for very brief loss of connection such as a mesh handoff event.

I also have AmpliFi HD mesh and Hugo2+2Go on WiFi (+ 3 wired endpoints). My experience with the WiFi endpoint is worse than yours, maybe a different WiFi environment. I think Roon should offer an “async” option for ungrouped WiFi endpoints that buffers a lot more of the RAAT stream to deal with occasional WiFi congestion. I’ll make a feature request :slight_smile:

The trouble with this is that the buffer size is largely end-point driven rather than Roon driven. For instance, I can’t reliably stream the higher quality versions of BBC Radio2 on any of my Sonos endpoints, despite all being on ethernet, yet my RPi endpoints have no issues whatsoever.

Home construction is a major factor - our internal walls (1955 UK build) are cinderblock with a render base coat/plaster top coat. Cinderblock is like breezeblock, but full of lumps of blast furnace clinker and kills 5GHz WiFi stone dead. 2.4GHz is slightly better, but in the end I gave up and cabled everything.