Why Roon is fabulous, with or without Tidal

Who knows? The statement by Brian is very brief and explains almost nothing. Roon is nothing if not forthcoming with its users. To offer an even better example of the Roon Black Box, why don’t they explain why they have never fixed the pathetic “Focus on Similar” function? The failures of Roon in that regard have been well documented.

Brian may live to regret that very bold, and very unfortunate choice of words. Brian suggests that his users should leave Roon if they are dissatisfied. He is referencing dissatisfaction for a different reason, but it is all closely related. While it may have not been his intention, Brian paraphrased the very loud and clear message from a significant number of his subscribers.

Many of his subscribers will do precisely what Brian advocates

I started this thread to make the case for Roon, with or without Tidal. Because if a significant number of subscribers leave Roon in the event that Tidal closes, it might threaten the financial viability of Roon. I started this thread to try to persuade the those who both have a personal library and who stream that Roon offers other advantages, and not just streaming through Tidal, and that are enough reasons to stay and to support Roon.

But I’m not sure, after reading all of the comments in this thread, that my arguments are strong enough. Certainly not for those who respond with “hey, this is 2018, and it is pointless to spend money on CDs. I’m a streamer not a buyer of CDs.”

They have utterly no reason to stay with Roon if Tidal ceases to exist.

The fall back insurance policy for Roon is to offer another streaming service, preferably Apple Music. (Please see my previous post for why that would be fantastic and would bring new functionality that is not now available in Roon.)

Next question: will the integration be perfect?

Again, if Tidal goes under, it appears a significant number of people will dump Roon and vote with their dollars. It may be time for Roon to reconsider that hardline and inflexible position. The integration of Apple Music may not be perfect, but it would add the ability to discover music based on a user preferences – and that is now almost completely lacking in Roon.

Frankly – see my previous post – I don’t buy the above argument from Brian anyway. All that Roon does now is to show Tidal albums under the albums in our own libraries. And have a second menu or tab that that shows established features within Tidal.

Why is that so different from the “lame interface” that Brian references?

As for the biographies of artists, and information on albums, that I love, that just carries over from another database, probably GraceNote. And the genres and some or all of the metadata probably come from another database as well as PatMaddox is guessing. (We are all guessing when it comes to the enigma of Roon.)

If the enigmatic RBB (Roon Black Box) doesn’t want to respond or is stubborn and refuses to face these issues, well, many if its subscribers will dump Roon if and when Tidal ceases to exist. That is the clear message from many in this thread, and the Tidal thread. And all because Roon has only a single streaming service.

The solution – the addition of a second streaming service – may not be perfect, but it would offer new features within Roon, and enable all of us to access two streaming services rather than only one. And bring new features to Roon that are now almost completely lacking. And would mean that Roon has an insurance policy IN PLACE if Tidal ceases to exist. Right now, with only one streaming service, the message from many subscribers is that they will do precisely what Brian advocates.

The solution is straightforward and easy enough. Will Roon do it? Or, in the event that Tidal closes, will Roon lose so many subscribers that it will suffer from the same fate?

It’s time for the RBB to be more forthcoming with its subscribers, many of whom will, in fact, vote with their dollars.

1 Like