Why Roon needs to adapt and evolve...pov of a partially disgruntled yearly subscriber

Love your house and the wedding pics Geoff, out in the open without the need of a facebook account! :wink:

2 Likes

You can stream to remote controllers. IOS requires an in app purchase in iPeng though.

Like I said - the social media aspect is something that folks may want to opt in or out of. Social - yes. Social media - maybe. There are social aspects that can be leveraged in roon - take for example the ā€œwhat are you listening to?ā€ thread here. Ok - maybe that is social media - but on one hand I could click a link here to open in roon. Or it could use the social (no media) approach and use that information to improve radio or suggestions directly in the product.

If roon wants to integrate deeply with Facebook - fine. I have no issue there. But if it becomes a necessary to be able to use the product or to get any decent experience thatā€™s different.

In your case, Facebook works. Great. In mine? It does absolutely nothing for me. Should roon deliver for either at the exclusion of the other?

2 Likes

I was not suggesting Roon integrate with Facebook, urgh, no. Thatā€™s the last thing I would advocate. Merely using FB as an illustration about how ubiquitous and important online social interaction has become in our society.

I was thinking more along the lines that they implement some community aspects about what we are enjoying within our own Roons.

Itā€™s entirely open ended. No great ideas, but perhaps start with, some optional, sharable, comments alongside albums, tracks, artists, like with the comments section in Youtube, and then possibly lead to our own ā€œpagesā€ which would detail all our shared activity. The sharing/not sharing, display/not display rules and options could be quite comprehensive.

3 Likes

Is that using Roon as remote? Also on android?

I think thereā€™s a way to use Bubble Upnp to do it but i have to configure router properly, Im not sure on the parameters. Itā€™s on my lifeā€™s too short list, at the moment, but if it were Roon driven I dare say Iā€™d get it to work and would get great support to do so :slight_smile:

Having said that, I really would like to see an option to use my android device Core, as mobile streaming from my home to the droid will be iffy at best in any case. But thatā€™s not the issue, the issue is tied into the fact of using Roon as an easy to use, blanket music enjoyment experience even for people perhaps whoā€™s sole or main listening device is their phone with a streaming service. and local content onboard.Many ā€œeliteā€ apps are available in the store and command a relatively high premium.

Qobuz sounds considerably better than Tidal, you donā€™t need golden ears to discern the difference. For an audiophile, and while I appreciate not everyone is bothered about sound quality, for those that are, this is a great omission.

1 Like

I tried Qobuz, liked the system and content and sound.

it has another feature which is unique and thatā€™s the ability to download content locally to PC or MAC. This would have been a serious reason for me to consider switching to Qobuz, BUT the downloads were erratic, very slow indeed (days to download albums, restarting app, etc) and when they finally did download they are unique to a specific install of Qobuz, so effectively you need to download on PC or Laptop independantly, which is a real kludge. What better way to enjoy the system than downloading to external drive and taking the drive with you to use on different devices. Er no. Not possible.

I would certainly switch to Qobuz if Tidal went belly up.

Can be done in Tidal, Deezer and Spotify as well, donā€™t know about others because I havenā€™t tried them. So not excactly a unique feature of Qobuzz.

Not on a PC, certainly not on Tidal, and not on Spotify, unless theyā€™ve changed their protocol recently. Ie only on mobile devices.

Qobuz is the only one allowing offline play on a Windows PC (and I guess Mac), as far as I know.

I have a decent CD library and Tidal. I cannot tell the differance between a CD rip and Tidal stream on my system. I often play the Tidal version of an artist I have seen, hosted or support as it helps with their income stream. No complaints on audio quality from me. Chris

You can stream what to remote controllers? Tidal? Yes, for sure.
Roon, not AFAIK.
I was talking about the ability to set up Roon and the Roon mobile apps so that you can stream from your home server to your mobile device. In other words, not limiting Roon to working on your home network where your RoonCore or RoonServer are installed.

My use-cases for Roon are fairly straight-forward so I donā€™t share too many of the concerns expressed, although generally speaking it is always good for a product ā€“ especially a software product ā€“ to evolve the user experience and add useful new features. That said some software can stray too far afield from what made the product attractive to begin with, essentially becoming a new product and stranding itā€™s original adapters.

For me Roon does the following:

ā€“ replaces Logitech Media Server for managing and serving my owned music collection, and some streaming
ā€“ offers better integration of streaming experiences
ā€“ provides a superior interface with integration of myriad information sources and algorithms for exploring new music
ā€“ offers ROCK, a concept I know I will explore in the near future
ā€“ offers a large, active community of users
ā€“ integrates nicely (although not fully) with my current generation of music equipment (KEF LS50W)

Anything additional to the above is bonus to me, and absence of such, not things I am feeling

1 Like

I think you can with the roon android app along with iPeng using squeezebox support. The later far less elegant I assume. Of course both have to be performed in your own network environment.

yes, Iā€™m talking about external to your home network. Via Internet from your home server to your phone, etc. Wherever you are.

As I discussed in the thread I started a while back, I donā€™t believe in linking mobile devices back to the home Roon Core:

Your home is not set up and operated as a reliable service. There is a link chain of single points of failure (internet service provider, network devices, storage devices, computers, power strips) with hardware, firmware and software that can fail, or fail to restart after an update or power glitch. (I knocked over something and it fell on the ON/OFF switch on the power strip for the network switch for the NUC.) And in case of failure, when you are away there is probably nobody capable or inclined to troubleshoot and remediate (ā€œis it my cable modem or Comcast?ā€). Even in a professionally operated cloud data center, the staff is aware of the less than 100% rate of successful restart.

A solution based on remote access to a home service would appeal only to a small community of geeks. And we agree in several recent threads, this and mine and others, that we should broaden the appeal.

My only option is back to home, moving my 6TB+ of music anywhere else isnā€™t practical. Iā€™m fine with the SLA turn around of a week, considering there is no solution at all right now from Roon. Itā€™s just music and there are other sources.

That said, I could see how some would want more than their home environment.

OK, thats not what you originally said. Yes you can stream on the LAN, not on the WAN.

I can see a potential case where a Roon subscription comes with a small amount of storage. Not for hosting your entire library in the cloud, but moving a subset of it for ā€œon the roadā€. Then the apps have an easy way of syncing what content you want in that temporary storage and pushing it up there.

Connecting back to home isnā€™t feasable. And Iā€™m not sure massive storage is commercially viable.

I do see Roon becoming a cloud metadata hub - with publishers on one side (Tidal etc) and maybe Dropbox, GDrive etc for the storage. On the other side is subscribers. One is your on premise core which connects to end points. The other are mobile devices. In the middle is the cloud hub which has external metadata sources added. And internal ones (metrics, other users listening).

2 Likes

Just wanted to echo the original post - I too would prefer that Roon focus more on the ā€œexperienceā€ rather than integration with all manner of devices. However, I am aware that itā€™s different strokes for different folks, and remain confident that the Roon team are receptive to their userbase and want to get things done right. I have long had a list of my top priorities that Iā€™m still waiting for, which I think will make Roon a still better experience, such as better handling of box sets, the ability to collate albums into groups (e.g. grouping together all the releases in a particular series), better handling of album art (e.g. with the ability to nominate front & rear covers and to display accordingly), better grouping of albums on an artist page (e.g. by album, single & EP, collection/anthology, bootleg, etc) and a few other things. Hopefully good things will come to those who wait :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow, I couldnā€™t possibly disagree more.

Streaming services are in my experience generally poor except perhaps for Tidal and increase the perception that music is only ethereal and not worth owning.

My favorite thing about the software is there is no need to change settings to get locally stored music played at their native sample rates.

3 Likes