Why Roon needs to adapt and evolve...pov of a partially disgruntled yearly subscriber

Very true. But then again, ECM as an example has a very dedicated fan base… couldve been an interesting watch :slight_smile:

As so many new (and established) artists are self funding album releases, i just wonder if what you are suggesting might just take off, if the costs to setup a streaming server could be minimised, it might become a micro-industry - pay to play (or select option to buy 5 or 10 plays for example); microtransaction, paypal based and majority of the money going straight to the artists. Or reverse the situation with funding going to the artist who pays a platform a micro transaction for hosting their album. What a thought. Im sure these ideas are being batted round the industry continuously :slight_smile:

Sorry we’re going wildy off topic here :slight_smile:

Would never work for me because I would need st least 30 subscription. I have 15 albums from Sony label for instance and have zero interest in the rest of their catalogue except maybe 1 album per year. Not going to pay a mobthly subscription for that, never. I"ll just download them. Sony just lost me as a customer then.

Sony would not just supply their label though. At the end of all of this there will only be 3 or 4 players left and they will all be subjugated to or owned by the labels. The labels will set themselves up as distribution channels for the smaller labels, ECM included!
When the time and technology is right we will see things take shape. And wouldn’t a properly engineered and secure interface like Roon be a great way to pull everything together!

Maybe so for mass market streaming, but more and more independent artists run their own labels and distributed through Bandcamp, ArtistShare, and the like. The major labels together are just 40% of my collection.

3 Likes

I want Roon in my car. I drive a lot for work and this would be the bom for me coupled with the great home/office arrangement I have already. Apple CarPlay or Other combined with a good in-car Dac, SSD storage and Room core on mobile would get the thumbs up from me.

I wonder if integrating Soundcloud and Bandcamp (BC) for discovery would be worthwhile. The great thing about BC is that it offers purchasing and you get unlimited LoRes streaming. The case for BC to offer HiRes may eventuate or at least CD quality. This way the artist is supported via sales, Music lovers have their music stored & streaming comes with it. A complete package as I see it!

4 Likes

I really don’t see Roon as a system for incar. Rooms biggest differentiator is being able to browse rich metadata. Anyone doing this whilst driving is a danger to themselves and others.

What are the features only available in Roon that you hanker after in your car?

1 Like

One of the major draws of roon is the seamless integration of tidal albums / tracks alongside local content. Being able to create a mix of local and tidal content for playlists on the go would be really great. I can do it using Bubble UPNP, i found, on my android DAP, but I would love to be able to work with roon for this.

Also, it would not be that distracting to use the discover feature when starting out on a journey to start a unique listening session in the car

Not sure I see the car as a place Roon gets heavy use. Discover “before the car trip” works for me though.

1 Like

I was recently behind a female driver who was watching a tea-time quiz show on her iPhone which was attached to her steering wheel. On so many levels this was wrong.

Just to add two penneth into a very interesting conversation. I paid for the full fat Roon as I was so impressed with the way that it took my sprawling collection and gave it the order that I have been seeking for many years.

I had used Tidal and cancelled after hearing too much offensive language from the “What’s new/up and coming” material. Roon has allowed me to bypass that and use Tidal in a meaningful way (but I guess that Tidal might be taking notes from this conversation and get their act together.

After sorting my collection, the way that Roon presents the extra information is useful although when it comes to editing the tracks I have had one or two occasions where the Roon database needs more information, but in general I am still pleased with the amount that I paid.

I have some good speakers (subjective judgement) and I now know a bit more what feed is being fed to what device, I think that I can put down the search for the “audial grail” for a while and just enjoy the music.

As for social media, I literally have no time for it and don’t want Facebook and the other intrusive and info gathering sides of the web getting in through the firewall. If people want to know what I am listening to, it is normally the neighbours who can hear it, or the wife who knows how to turn it down a bit.

So I am happy bunny (easily pleased maybe) and looking forwards to whatever the Roon team come out with. However, from the thread there is no shortage of different ways that people want Roon to progress, I hope that they can accommodate enough of these so that they remain viable, I am looking forwards to years four and five when my purchase pays off [smile].

Apologies, that was more like four penneth’s worth.

Terry

5 Likes

Here is my 2 cents of the topic of Roon.
A few years ago I started with Blue Sound and their software. Nice but buggy. Ok but not great.
I have a very large collection of music and enjoyed each CD I ever bought when Purchased. But when I was listening to CD’s I only listened to the most accessable. With streaming everything is accessable!
Music sound reproduction is very important to me so when I read about Roon I gave it a try.
This was the software to access all of my music that I was always hoping to find.
Works flawlessly
Excellent sound reproduction.
So many different ways to categorize or find music.
And lastly one of my favorites is once an album is done it randomly plays like music and if I hear something I havent heard in years and want to listen to the whole album it is incredibly easy.
If listening to music is your end goal I cant imagine anything better and I hope Rood stays on this track instead of making it more about the social aspects.
Just my thoughts but it sure works for me.

2 Likes

Not picking on you specifically Terry (others in the thread have said it too) but I chuckle when people angrily shake their fist at social media, whilst posting such a view on a public forum. This is social media too.

It also has way fewer content management controls than something like Facebook.

1 Like

I know social media is not for everyone but it’s the main resource for promoting and following live music today.

The Artists use it actively where they engage personally often one on one with their fans and build a very strong base of followers. (There are great friendships being made here) This sells tickets which is the life blood of working musicians today.
We host gigs and promote artists past, present and future. We publicise their achievements and generally provide a link for our supporters to the artists.
Shock horror, we use Facebook and Twitter alongside our own website to achive this.

The result; we sell out every gig which means the artists get paid and exposure to music lovers and we can continue.
We have a queue of artists who wish to perform for us for the first time along with many who wish to return again and again. (We operate on a non profit basis and do not pay for any social media promotion)

So, like it or not Facebook and Twitter are now very important to the survival of live music. I’m am sure this may well be an unintended consequence but there it is.

Thoughts, Chris

1 Like

*Consuming Roon most definitely for car!! Or other non-home scenarios.

Since the playlists I make in Roon do not sync back to Tidal (feature request), my Tidal experience is broken from organizing I’ve done in Roon. I heavily use playlists but then they are not available away from Roon.

Rob.

3 Likes

Sorry Mark, you fell into a bear trap that I hadn’t even realised that I had set [grin].

I have been around since the days of netmail and forums, before the internet existed. People joined a forum because they had an interest in the subject matter, they were polite, respectful and we learned a lot.

Hesitation for definition:

netmail- forerunner of email
forums - forerunner of forums
bulletin board - google it
GTPower - likewise

Social media has changed all of this, but that is not a subject for this forum. The conversations in the Roon are very similar to the contents of the forums of twenty plus years ago. Opinions are respected or rejected, debates between people test the claims and inform us lesser mortals of the results.

As I say, I do not participate in what I know as Social Media, comparing forums with Facebook “does not compute”, I enjoy the debates in good forums like Roon’s (thanks for picking the hosting software that you use Roon, very acceptable).It does not demand my time and I feel that I can read without contributing until I have something useful or questioning to say.

Enough from me, I am not sure with the current exchange rates whether my two penneth is more valuable than the recent “two cents” entry.

Keep chuckling, it is good for life, but don’t forget that it was far more fun being involved in the “invention” of the inter than it is using it today…

Best regards - Terry
GTPower node 050/001
Compuserve address 100…

and happy Roon user.

3 Likes

Ha, just because you say it isn’t, doesn’t make it so.

Please understand, I made my post on the basis of the privacy angle, which I thought was the crux of your objection. I see now from your post it comes more from an odd superiority complex derived from being a bulletin board user in the early 90s.

Social media is just that. Media which is social. Just because you don’t like blue thumbs up or bluebirds doesn’t make it any different.

And all of your forum discourse is public.

The reason I don’t use Facebook is because social media is antisocial. Seems to be a bunch of folks who confuse their opinions with being facts and then wanting to convert everyone to their “truth”. Where differences of opinions, instead of being debated, result in the internet version of the playground. “You’re not in my gang anymore”. Oh, and people I went to school with wanting to convince me that their kid is a prodigy (statistically he’s more likely to be a rapist).

I don’t do Facebook et al because frankly it bores me. Glad some folks get something out of it. Enjoy it. And I’ll enjoy not.

2 Likes

Well, we’re go way off topic now, but I don’t remember telling you I was a ‘fan’ of Facebook, although I am minded to think that its use-case rather reflects the user, their ‘friends’ list and what information they choose to disseminate and consume.

My point, again, was merely that by posting on a public forum you are, like it or not, doing social media.

I thought we went off topic a while back - didn’t realise it was only now.

The more off topic this thread gets, the more entertaining it is! :joy:

3 Likes