Why Roon needs to adapt and evolve...pov of a partially disgruntled yearly subscriber

Yes. I have gone full-circle on the common discussion topic of: Roon is of little value without an integrated streaming partner. The more I use Roon and dig into features like Focus and Bookmarks, the more I can see continuing to use Roon without Tidal (or any other streaming partner). I would prefer an integrated streaming service (my preference would be Spotify, but I can only dream on that one).

What I like is the notion of acclimating to a user interface that is end-point agnostic and rich with information.

Now, if Focus only supported my file-based attributes ā€¦ again, still dreamingā€¦

1 Like

YES!!! Not +1, +1000!!!

I think something like voice control is a nice to have as a secondary interface. I use voice controls in the car and at home and I like some of the functionality they bring to the table. I agree that Roon has defined its core functionality and I would not want that to change significantly.

In regard to Amazon music (or really any streaming service), Iā€™m looking for those ephemeral services to aid in music discovery. I do not want to be at the mercy of a capricious content provider or one that simply closes its doors after a few years. So if I hear something I really like while streaming, Iā€™ll add it to my wish list to buy.

It seems that many casual listeners today are using streaming to fill the space formerly covered by records/tape/CDs and radio. That approach is not what I am comfortable with. I think that (most) enthusiasts are going to continue to want to own their collections.

I have used a lot different systems for playback of ripped files, but Roon is by far the best. Hopefully it will continue to fit my needs.

1 Like

@ Allen Thornton

I agree, voice control is a wonderful nice to haveā€¦ Iā€™m finally integrating an Alexa into my house (at $30 vs waiting for Apple, the answer was easy). But for Roonā€¦ well, I think voice control would be the epitome of ā€œnice to have, not urgently requiredā€, simply because it would make me too lazyā€¦ the whole point of Roon is to open it up and rediscover your music (or learn new music) with the benefit of the interface/GUI.

Iā€™m with you on owning copies of your faves. But Iā€™m doing that through vinyl. For my digital music, Iā€™d like to have some permanence as wellā€¦ but buying digital downloadsā€¦ itā€™s great when they are included with the vinyl, but it seems like overkill. Maybe MQA will change that for me, but for the moment vinyl is where my ā€œmust ownā€ albums are.

Iā€™m not saying Roon ā€œmustā€ become indexible to other streaming services, but wouldnā€™t it be nice? As others have said, all of that metadata is wonderful. Playlists, play counts, album reviews, album art, etcā€¦ etcā€¦ wouldnā€™t it it be nice to have that portable by album and song rather than by the location of the bits/bytes that make the music?

Maybe one day we could have a metadata entry for ā€œAWESOME NEW ALBUMā€ that we started when we first heard the music on Tidal and maybe a year later tidal is goneā€¦ but not to worry, Roon helps us migrate the database record to STREAMING SERVICE Yā€¦ and then we finally get around to buying the album for ā€œsafe keepingā€ on MQA, still using the same database entryā€¦ and then ultimately, 10 years from now there is a new audio format that bests MQA and Roonā€™s *** three dotā€™s allows us a one click option to upgrade to the newest formatā€¦

ā€¦ that would be a music organizing software worth paying a premium for (and Iā€™d argue, an indispensible part of the audio ecosystem with multiple cross-licensing opportunities to satisfy Roonā€™s shareholders).

On voice control, Iā€™ll throw in a few thoughts. I love the concept, but not the thought of giving (even) more data to Google / Amazon. For that reason, Iā€™m looking at the Mycroft open source approach.

So if VC does come about Iā€™d love for it to accommodate open approaches as well as proprietary.

Cheers

1 Like

+1.000 for that, Graham!

1 Like

For me voice control has no priority as long as it does not work well. Yes, I can create a reminder or calendar entry. But even these easy cases are still error prone if I donā€™t learn how to spell it right. Nested sentences are a problem and mixed languages are a big problem nowadays. For a non-native speaker itā€™s also hard to control a foreign assistant. Try to play a song from Ɩz ƜrĆ¼gĆ¼lĆ¼ or ƁrstĆ­Ć°ir.

And voice control is not very helpful, when so many music is unidentified and has missing meta data. I think the focus should be on meta data and discovery.

5 Likes