With ROCK, how do I find cpu temperature?

NUC10i7FNH1.

SSD is Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb.

RAM is 16gb stick of Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory (HX426S15IB2/16)

Secondary SSD is Samsung 960 EVO 1tb that I took out of a dead laptop. It’s empty. Music is on a Synology NAS.

ok, don’t install ROCK on that… it’s not supported yet due to lack of good ethernet firmware in mainline kernel.

That machine uses 25 watts when loaded up. Just think about how much power that is compared to the light bulbs in your house. If your breaker is flipping, you gotta figure that out first. Do you have any other accessories that might be plugged in and causing that breaker to flip? Anything else on that breaker?

Your machine is fast and super-cool for what it can do. While your purchase could have been better suited for Roon today, it’s not a mistake.

I’d focus on getting things back to where you were and then debug.

your audio files are opened, decoded, and analysis is done on them to generate those pretty waveforms and some crossfade information (and a bit more). this is done in a nice way to not have a huge impact on your system, but maybe some setting is set wrong.

With Roon uninstalled at the moment, I can’t provide all settings info at the moment, unfortunately. From memory, though, DSP is DSD256, filter = precise linear phase, sdm = 7th order (CLANS), parallelize = yes, native DSD = yes. Beyond that, I don’t think I changed anything from defaults, except to have my metadata override yours in some fields.

also, metadata updates are pretty heavy on the system too.

i’d want to know if those are in progress just to have a performance baseline.

Not usually and definitely not last night when stressing.

then id want to see what your CPU usage looks like (not temperature) when idle.

Can’t check now for when Roon is in use, but idle is at about 10% cpu load.

Then again when not idle.

Have to let you know later after I reinstall Roon. However, this is a pretty barebones machine. Norton runs a backup nightly, but there’s little to back up. Audirvana usually isn’t running. jRiver runs but, beyond having DLNA enabled, it shouldn’t be doing anything if I am not asking it to. Antivirus runs full-time, but latest Norton isn’t much of a load.

I’d also want to see your signal path when playing.

NAS > NUC with Roon>CAT8>ASUS RT-AC87R>CAT6>UpTone Etherregen>fiber>Sonore Signature Rendu SE>Usb cable>Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC.

Hope this is a bit helpful. I appreciate your efforts here.

i meant your roon signal path… the native dsd setting concerns me

a screen shot of the signal path is what im looking for.

Thanks so much for this!

Only other things on that breaker were desktop system stuff at idle: Topping DAC, UpTone LPS 1.2 powering Sonore microrendu, and Audioengine A5’s. Most Dectet receptacles are empty.

I know this NUC isn’t supported for ROCK, but I have a USB to ethernet adaptor and will be enabling legacy boot once I can make changes to power settings in BIOS. From what others have said, I should be able to install ROCK with those changes and I might do so if that is an easier CPU load.

I will be back when Windows and Roon are running again.

Will send later.

@danny, turns out that I didn’t have to reinstall Windows despite Intel’s warning, so I got part of my life back unexpectedly. The BIOS fix seems to have worked. I was able to get access to advanced power settings and set my CPU max to 99%. (I also set legacy boot in BIOS just in case I am tempted to use ROCK.)

I had to reinstall Roon, though, and am both rescanning my very large library and playing music as we speak. Neither the CPU load nor the temps are too crazy. I haven’t been over about 50c yet, despite scanning and playing for about 15 minutes. By now, the NUC defaults would have had me in the 70’s and racing towards the 80’s. I probably am okay at this point. :grin:

Here are the signal path and latest temp/usage screens,

That’s much better! Enjoy!

Thanks again for your help. I will pop up again if other issues arise.

I’m a bit confused - you mention running ROCK on a NUC and then Windows 10.

ROCK runs on a minimalist Linux OS, you don’t need Windows?

I would have tried to switch to ROCK from Windows if the operating temps were likely to be lower because of reduced overhead. That’s why I wanted to know about typical temps.

I instead found a way to keep Windows installed, but with the CPU operating at much lower temps. That’s a satisfactory solution for me.

Since mine isn’t a supported ROCK configuration, anyway, installing ROCK was my last ditch effort to preserve my hardware’s longevity.

Sorry if i missed it, but where’s your library located?
I am a bit troubled by your “processing speed” while upsampling to DSD256 also. There’s not enough headroom there… And what’s more confusing is that my Celeron based ASRock J4105 does the same, running Linux, at more than twice that speed…
Make sure you have selected “use multiple cores” in the DSP section.

Library is on a Synology DS-218+ NAS.

I have enabled “parallelize sigma delta.” Is that to what you refer when you mention multiple cores?

Does library size affect overhead? Mine is large.

Also, when I took the screenshot, I was reinstalling Roon and it was scanning my library from scratch. That certainly took some energy from the CPU.

I don’t want to derail this thread at all…I’ve just read it all & thought to myself (despite not understanding a fair bit of it)…no wonder why I created a thread yesterday questioning what was it about Roon that makes it so resource hungry.

The reading here (and through numerous other threads) only makes me think the same.

Was just a comment…carry on folks. :grinning:

1 Like

I thought I might have been throttled by playing during importation of a large collection. I was wrong. Overhead remains at a consistent 1.2x or 1.3x, even when the NUC otherwise is idle.

Yup, thats the one!

Parallelize Sigma/Delta allows Roon core to spread DSP tasks over more than one CPU Core. Library tasks such as displaying Discover page or searching for an artist or so will still use only on cpu core though.

And then you have Library and Analysis where you can dedicate a lot of cores for analysis.

I am thinking that the NUC10 has been throttled heavily by your BIOS settings, as you have whole bunch of cpu cores at your disposal.

I am running Roon Server on a multitude of hardware, everything between a power starved ASrock Celeron J4105 (Quad core) up to a couple of Intel Core i3 8100 and Core i7 8700 and the performance difference between them, when settled down, is very slight.
The Celeron does take some time booting up though and building and analysing its library of 150K tracks took a few days, but it works very well today. And as i said, it will upsample to DSD512 with similar or better Processing speed as in your screenshot. So i am not experiencing this resource hungryness like some of the other natives here. :wink:

As I mentioned above, I had crazy heat issues, so I changed the “modern” power setting for “S3.” That enabled advanced power settings in Windows. With those, I was able to throttle the cpu at 99%, which defeated the heat problem. I also enabled Legacy Boot, in case I ever need to try installing ROCK. Otherwise, BIOS settings are at default.

Are you running ROCK or other Linux distros on your servers? If you are, perhaps it’s Windows 10 that’s throttling me.

I will look more closely at BIOS options. Speeding things up might mean more heat, though, and I am trying to avoid that.

All three actually! The Celeron cannot legacy boot, so it runs Dietpi x86. The others, Win 10 or ROCK.
One thing though, with my multicore i7 8700 i get modest (but not below 6-8x while upsampling to DSD256) processing speed figures but it runs Win10 (2005) and does a great job of throttling CPU while still performing it’s tasks without glitches.

Thanks, Mikael. If you are getting 6-8x with a throttled desktop i7 and Win 10, I should be getting more than 1.2-1.4x. Everything seems to be working fine in playback, though, so maybe this is more of a theoretical than practical issue for me.

I’d reset the bios to default settings and go from there… something is wrong.

1 Like