With ROCK, how do I find cpu temperature?

I think your nuc is broken. I’ve never seen a nuc run that hot if it has a cpu fan, and I’ve seen most nucs in the last 5 years.

How are you measurig it? Is the fan on?

I don’t think so. I think you have a broken nuc. You can try, but I can’t promise anything.

Measuring it with CoreTemp, which shows current temps, plus min and max from the time of the last reset. I am open to other apps for monitoring, but I have found CoreTemp to be consistent with others I ran redundantly, so I am just using that now.

Fan is set to Cool scheme, which pops on the fan at 77c.

Tomorrow morning, I will contact Intel Customer Support, which is what Intel recommends when the Cool fan setting doesn’t prevent overheating.

Capture

What else than Roon are you using your NUC for? it seems like it’s being used as an all purpose computer judging from the screen shots? Do you have any other apps running, consuming CPU resources?

1 Like

I have had NUCs running Roon and also functioning as a computer with web browsing and other general use going on. Never had temps that high. I would 2nd Danny’s suggestion that there is an issue with the NUC itself.

1 Like

Mikael, it absolutely is NOT a general purpose computer. The only applications on it are Roon and Audirvana, only one of which is open at the same time; JRiver, which usually is open, but not playing; Firefox; and some utilities (CoreTemp, Samsung Magician, Partition Magic, Unreal Commander, Splashtop Streamer, Speedtest) that only are open if I am running them. I had Norton security and utilities, but did not reinstall them after my last Windows install (when my SSD benchmarks were off, a couple of days ago). When I was spiking at 95 and at the time of the screenshot last night, ONLY Roon and CoreTemp were open and running. (In the earliest screenshots, I also had open some redundant temp monitors, which I installed just to assure that CoreTemp was accurate. It seemed consistent with them, so I uninstalled them.) Core loads are NOT crazy high.

I left Roon running last night, again as a stress test. I pegged 96 on two cores and was over 90 on four.

I will call Intel today.

1 Like

Thanks for that information, @Rugby. Do you run DSD256 oversampling full-time? That’s what’s been spiking my temps into the 90’s, although this unit never runs cool even when DSP is disabled.

I will call Intel Customer Support this morning.

I should clarify. I run headless, so Splashtop Streamer always is running. I leave CoreTemp on all the time now, as well. The other utilities only run when necessary, though.

Intel is closed today for US Independence Day, so I posted in the Intel Community Forum in the meantime. Will post again here if I learn anything useful.

does it overheat when you arent connected to splashtop?

I will have to connect it to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to check, but I will do that later today and get back to you this evening.

No appreciable difference with Splashtop turned off. Average temps in the 70c’s, spiked to high 80c’s.

And how about I install just the server on this NUC and control with my everyday PC? Less load on the CPU with just server, Roon FAQ’s suggest.

OMG! There is so much wrong going on here… maybe you should use ROCK :slight_smile:

i think that before we find new details, it’s best you just try ROCK

Okay, will do, if my USB to ethernet converter works with this NUC.

Why would you need that converter? With rock loaded just Ethernet and headless is all that is required.

NUC10 is not supported by Roon OS yet due to ethernet driver

1 Like

It installed okay after I changed the BIOS to legacy boot and turned off secure boot. The ethernet adaptor allowed it to be recognized by the phone app, as well. Needs codecs, though.

Let’s see if it plays music after I finish setting up.

ROCK plays beautifully on this NUC 10, now that I have sorted out codecs and remote reinstallation and relinking issues.

Is the only way to measure CPU temps with that forehead thermometer-like thing linked above? I really would like to be able to monitor.

… sorry danny but … couldn’t we think at that as an indicator about the NUC health?
The experience Mike is living teach us that a NUC can play music even when “broken” and there is the risk to not recognise a potential critical situation (for example: the warranty covering NUC defects expire because the owner has no evidence of those defect and can’t act in time)
We put money in a piece of hardware and in ROCK we have, at the moment, no way to recognised if it, the NUC, is running fine or not… another example: over the time dust could go into heat sink causing overheat, the temperature value could help owner in understanding when is the time to clean the NUC inside
… what is wrong with that request?
… all people playing with ROCK don’t want to play IT, music is the target… temperature indicator is to feel safe, I’m sure You can perfectly understand that and make your customers happy… it’s just a small effort (your words)
Thank you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I must agree… I run ROCK on NUC8i7 and yes it is an appliance, but I feel that it would be incredibly useful to be able to monitor/record CPU Temps, RAM usage and CPU load via the web management interface. My Fridge is an appliance, my Freezer is an appliance, both have lights that come on when I open the door, both have a real time Temperature display. Maybe not absolutely necessary, but incredibly useful to reassure all is well and the hardware is working correctly within spec.

1 Like

My Car emails me a monthly health check. Roon, especially with the Nucleus, could do the same.

Even if you don’t present the actual displays, a basic Green (healthly) / Yellow (Something not critical is in issue)/ Red (something is wrong contact support) Indicator in the corner would really be all that is needed.

2 Likes