Xtr Filters - Why do they sound so good?

Not your problem, you paid for it. Let them suffer :grin: (first world problems of course)

1 Like

I went through the test and I can hear a small difference, very subtle, I may hear maybe 16.5 or 17 at best who knows

To me personally, long linear-phase filters sound excessively harsh/bright. I cannot listen such for long time. So I think we are talking about similar thing.

Yes and no. Mathematically, RedBook has timing resolution of 346 nanoseconds. So it is not necessarily transient timing accuracy. But in my opinion it is about better preserving waveform shape of the attack. This has to do with Fourier uncertainty principle too, which humans have been shown to be able to exceed[1]. In order to preserve this shape, one also needs to preserve the high frequency harmonics that define this shape. These high frequencies are (IMO) not heard separately as high frequencies, but only detected as waveform shape.

This is a little bit like frame rate in video, you cannot see the individual frames of 30 or 60 fps video as still images, but you will certainly detect smoothness of the movements, especially faster ones. When you go for VR systems, you need even higher frame rates of 90 or 120 fps. Just like audio sampling parameters, some people will have hard time arguing what frame rate (and also resolution) is sufficient for videoā€¦

[1] https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a good analogy with the video example Jussi, and like you said the harmonics stacking on waveform creating that effect, I may add and some may disagree {including you as you have stated before if I remember correctly that your preference lies on solid state amplification} thatā€™s this same effect might be accentuated with valve amplification {also perceived as distortion}

And as always your comments and opinions are extremely valuable thank you

Thanks Jussi. Cool to read this.

Quick A/Bā€™ing is rarely useful for me (even though we all naturally do it sometimes). Like you hinted also, the better indicator of differences for me is over long listening sessions, over a longer periods (weeks, months) and the ā€˜feelingā€™. Do I feel like I want to turn the volume up still after a long listening session or do I want to turn the volume down (listening fatigue). Does something not ā€˜feelā€™ right.

All of the poly-sinc family sound fantastic, so this is just finding out what my own ear and brain like the most and if they can adjust to your technically optimal filter if ā€˜forcedā€™ over a long period of time.

I think Iā€™ll stick with poly-sinc-short-mp-2s for another 4 weeks and let my ear/brain system properly burn in / adjust.

The beauty is I can always fall back to poly-sinc-mp-2s which gives me the slightly better frequency response if I still feel I need it.

But I do believe ear/brain burn in is real so will stick with your default for a good month.

Iā€™m very polygamous with filters. Every time a nice good looking new one comes along i just have to flirt.

Currently listening to the new poly-sinc-ext2, itā€™s a new CD so I cannot really comment except to say things are sounding good.

.sjb

2 Likes

Hilarious. Sorry, Iā€™m tied & faithful to poly-sinc-short-mp-2sā€¦ for a few more weeks anyway, then Iā€™ll flirt with the new filters.

I watched this Rick Beato video about hearing with interest:

After trying a few other things Iā€™ve gravitated back to xtr-2s-mp. It just sounds ā€œbetterā€ to me, which may be some kind of confirmation bias and a different thing from accurate. But it keeps me listening to music, which is the main thing.

1 Like

Andrew: Unfortunately, the Rick Beato video repeats the mistake that so many make about the difference between low and hi-res files, namely that high-res files convey more information at higher frequencies and that our ability to benefit from them requires us to hear sounds at those frequencies. While there may be a tiny bit of truth to that for those with hearing out to 20kHz or beyond, the real difference ties more to what happens as those files are converted from digital to analog and the filters that are applied during this process. The whole reason that Jussi developed the capabilities of HQ Player was to allow the development of filters that worked with very high resolution files (even if those were just upconverted from 16/44) so as to make sure that any conversion artifacts stayed outside the hearing range. Every filter involves some tradeoffs and so different listeners will prefer different filters.

Rick also assumes that his test subject was able to ā€œpreferā€ 66% of the 16/44 files was because of her ability to hear higher frequencies. But this too may be wrong, as the difference between 128, 320 and 16/44 isnā€™t frequency focused, but focused on removing lower amplitude data ā€“ so it has more to do with her ability to distinguish soft from loud than frequency, and thus that difference may still be relevant to older listeners.

Where I do agree with Rick is that so many of the folks producing our music are not paying attention to these factors, in large part because they are producing a commodity rather than an audiophile product. But that doesnā€™t mean that someone who both preserved the overall mastering quality as well as audiophile detail levels couldnā€™t produce a result that was consistently preferred by audiophiles.

1 Like

A noobie question. If I am playing a file (I use Roon/HQP) and am not upconverting (say playing native DXD352 files) does my filter choice (I have specifiied -xtr) kick in? I donā€™t see any indication whether it is being used or not? I assume if I upconvert (say 192/24 to 384, or DSD64 to DSD512) that my filter choice will kick in.

Thanks, Larry

Yes, if it is selected, it will run even with 1:1 conversion ratio.

Jussi, thanks. Larry

Any Xtr filter users tried/trying the new-ish (September) ext2 filter?

Iā€™ve been liking ext2 a lot lately.

Just tried it today. First impression - a bit crisper than xtr-2s. Probably a good thing in my system.

1 Like

Ext2 cured me of tinkering with filters for now. Iā€™ve been using it almost exclusively since release. The high end extension just sounds right to me. Relaxed and natural but not attenuated.

1 Like

Same impression from me.

Yes! Me too. I donā€™t have the itch to fiddle after using ext2.

For those of you playing at home:

Linear phase polyphase sinc filter with sharp cut-off and high stop-band attenuation for extended frequency response while completely cutting off by Nyquist frequency (non-halfband). Processing is two stages with minimum factor of 16 before applying special second stage. If difference between source and output rates is less than 32x, operates as a single stage with only the first stage.

So for RBCD, itā€™s 1st stage up-sampling is to PCM705/768kHz, compared with the other poly-sinc filters which do 1st stage up-sampling to PCM353/384kHz (for RBCD).

Better than 240dB stop-band attenuation I believe, if anyone is interested in the stop-band attenuation numbers wars :grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™m always late.

I recently saw this post by Jussi, which got my attention to try it. Iā€™ve always been a sucker for jumping on (stop) bandwagons :grin:

1 Like

I have a sixth sense for HQPlayer updates

2 Likes

Hilarious :grin:

1 Like

@lorin @andybob @jussi_laako - am I going bonkers (donā€™t answer that) or is there better ā€œdepthā€ (or perception of depth) with ext2 also?

1 Like