Your listening experiences with HAF filters

Yes that’s very useful, hadn’t thought of it.

I’m waiting on my own set of tweaked filters. Pleased to hear you received yours on a Saturday, perhaps there’s hope for me before Monday.

.sjb

I’ve posted the same in other threads: HAF was the best value for money I got in my stereo system, hardware or software, including lifetime Roon. HAF is that good. I recommend Thierry’s service without any reservation.

4 Likes

What did you choose to tweak and why?

When I used them with my previous speakers I was very pleased with the results. Going to get some new ones for the Tabs at some point just being too lazy to take any readings and having the house to myself to do them. Which in our current times doesn’t happen. I am tempted by xtalk this time to.

I had many iterations for my other speakers and got him to tweak the treble response a number of times to get it to my liking.

As I said to Thierry

I find it very hard to describe sound and then a description can mean different things to different people. But here goes………………

I’d like a sweeter tonal balance. There is a slight edginess to some music and vocals, that I’d like smoothed slightly.

Having said that I don’t want a mellow mush with all attack lost.

Hopefully Thierry’s experience will make my limited description understandable.

.sjb

Thanks, too true, describing sound is a proper can of worms, but I think you did a fine job!
I’m sure that will be interpreted well by Thierry.

I need to get some listening under my belt now.
Think I will listen to everything with a filter on for a few days and then switch back to without for a few days, and so on. See what, if anything jars.
I’ll probably post something in the parallel thread in the Naim forum next day or so.

Hope your tweaked filters come through soon.

2 Likes

So I had Thierry make my first set of filters and I chose no crosstalk filters…after I reconfigured my room and changed out my Monitor Audio speakers for Martin Logan, I sent my new readings for an update.

I was pleasantly surprised at the price quoted for A) the new filters and B) new filters with crosstalk. Wasn’t intentional on my part but the cost to add XTALK this time around was a no brainer.

Another thumbs up for the HAF filters and Thierry’s service from me. I’ve been running DSD512 without convolution and was very happy with the sound, but I thought I’d give room correction a go. I did try RC years ago with a Tact Preamp and I had a negative experience with the dynamics being sucked out of the music and a sterility to the music that I hated. I ended up selling that piece.

I am running a HTRF filter with some crosstalk reduction, but not full reduction as I felt I lost a little in my setup, I am using tannoy corner speakers pointing into the middle of the room so that might be a factor in why full reduction didn’t work for me so well. As others have said Thierry was incredibly responsive and turned around tweaks very quickly.

Adding the convolution in has added another level of transparency to the system, while not losing any dynamics or PRAT (in fact I’d say they have gone up a little). He also corrected a forward tilt in the system, which has allowed a more balanced presentation, especially in the bass. It was an obvious improvement, which is the opposite of the Tact RC experience.

Best sound I’ve ever had. Magical in fact.

Cheers
Steve

7 Likes