ZeroTier for remotely connecting to Roon

i have been poking at the same troubles without success for a while. i’m able to use it with plex, but not roon, there’s something about the broadcast that I think itsn’t getting passed on through the zerotier filters right, but I haven’t nailed it yet.

Really happy I stumbled across this thread, as I was having serious headaches with the VPN setup/configuration I was using to try and access Roon remotely. ZeroTier was comparatively painless. And it works! As least on a Raspberry Pi, a Kindle Fire, and two Windows laptops (all on WiFi networks). No luck with my iPhone at all (cellular or WiFi). But it’s a game changer to have Roon at my office.

you didn’t happen to work in Seattle did you? I used to work with a John McBride.

Probably not me. I do get out to Seattle for work sometimes, but I’ve never lived there.

I know it’s a long shot but would you care to share how you had it working with OpenVPN previously?

Thank you

@gtj sorry! i cannot really give you precise infos now. after i’ve changed router, i had to reconfigure and … i had also after a seriuos crash to reinstall the OS and lost config files…
i just can give you some hints:
-windows
-open VPN bridged TAP, following more or less the official openvpn howto
-then… i had to open some ports in the PC firewall. that was for me the tricky part (at home i can play with settings, not so in the remote PC)

but… it worked.
now… with zerotier i forgot all the trouble.
good luck

2 Likes

Thank you for the info.
I might have to investigate further as I have a pfSense firewall which offers OpenVPN server options for the user to configure.

I have also set the Zerotier thingy but to be honest I’m not too fascinated with the idea to put someelse’s server (ZeroTier) in the middle of my devices.

Thanks again.

not an expert… but i don’t think that there’s a zerotier server in the middle. it’s not something like a 3rd party VPN.
it’s more like torrent… the traffic is direct between the clients, the ZT server is just there to tell the clients the IP address to use.
that concerning the traffic. then, trick is doing this making believe the clients to be on the same local network, and that makes roon works.
ZT knows nothing about your data traffic…
besides… ZT is open source. so, i suppose no tricks …

i don’t really know about securty… but… who knows? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to know.
I’ll do some more research about Zerotier.
I’ve got it set now but haven’t tested it yet as I have to be on another network and today is my day-off. Tomorrow is the day - I’ll see if it actually works from work.

However, with celurar data it does not seem to work as the Roon App still will search for a Wi-Fi connection first in order to look for the Core.

I was wondering, is there a general consensous on what upload speed should the Core network have in order to experience seamless remote streaming? My home network is 100 / 9 one. Is 9 mbps enough? Any clue?

Thanks for all your help!

i don’t know. my network is a superfast fiber, 950Mbps download, 200 Mbps upload. :).

1 Like

I’m playing with this too…no luck with an iPhone…need to get outside my network now to see what happens from outside.

Is there any particular setting I have to do?
I have set it up I can ping my Roon server from a remote network but my remote W10 laptop can’t find the Core.

i still can’t get this working with an iphone. has anyone? i’m not as great at networking as i used to be, but am no slouch. Seeming to me that there’s some kind of low level issue on iphone with Zero Tier, around how it broadcasts and finds the Roon çore.

if I get this working, i’ll have my music nirvana both at home and anywhere on the planet.

ZT won’t work for Roon on an iPhone or other iOS device - I think that wad noted earlier or elsewhere in another thread.

that’s what I’ve been able to determine also. but not yet why in order to attempt some kind of hack to fix.

any ideas on the why?

So I got Zerotier running with an iPhone, but the only endpoint option that worked was using the iPeng app w/ the $5 in app purchase.

So what I have is an endpoint that plays lossless audio from Roon, but I cannot change the music or browse. Further the Roon Remote App loses the connection (but sound still plays).

see: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/ios-roon-audio-endpoint-with-ipeng-almost-perfect-r663/

1 Like

I ended getting a $200 Windows 10 Laptop running Zerotier, USB DAC, and Hotspotted my phone. Works. Thanks. (I am sure the iPhone challenge is deliberate SW configuration by Apple.)

no there is a thought I might try my and install ZT on my FiiO M11 and hotspot my iPhone for OTG Room. Will report back on that.

UPDATE… works a treat…thanks for the thought…so ZT will work on Android mobile to I would I think.

Tidal is a bit shakey tho, but local tracks seem to perform just fine most of the time. But I would think on a wifi connection its going to be fine as that worked fine for me on my MBP when travelling.

On android works. I’ve been using it for a few weeks on a samsung galaxy

i use ZT from an office PC connecting to home core.
i cannot make it work on my android smartphone, though. not with WIKI, nor with data.
damn…