Dropouts using Mac Mini and Netgear WN2500RP rang extender

Hi,

I installed the free trial yesterday but are having some problem. Installation went good, even if import and analyzes of music files on my NAS took long time, but I have problem with playing a music file. Roon only plays ca 1-2 minute of the song and then stopped. A message said “file loading” and then the next song starts. Sometimes I have just some drop outs.
Very often it stopped, but no message appear, and nest song started to play.

My system:

Mac mini, 2.6 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1 TB (80% free space at HD).
Synology NAS 6TB.
Bryston BDP-2 Roon reasy endpoint
Bryston BDA-3 DAC

Everything connected with AQ ethernet cables.

I also have JRiver in the mac and always works.
Also usIng the BDP-2 as a player work well but not Roon.

Thanks for help.

Best regards
Lasse
Sweden

Hi Lars, are you sure the audio analysis has actually finished? Depending on your library size and the server’s processing power it can take a long time. You can quickly check in Settings/Library and see if it is still analyzing. If it is, you can make the choice to pause the analysis and see if that makes a difference to your playback.

Hi Rugby,
Thank you, you are right. Still after appx 40 hours the analyze is not finished yet! 10% left from now so I will wait and test soon again.

Best regards
Lars Johansson

Hi again, the analyze took very long time but is now finished but the same problem still resists…
Playing a song and it stops after just 5-10 seconds. Sometimes Roon will jump t next track but most often it just stopped

But JRiver on same mac mini works well. I am not good at computers and I can’t make this work so I believe I just have t skip Roon and go with JRiver. It’s a pity because I liked Roon.

BR
Lars

Hi Lars,

Can you provide details of your router and networking ? File loading issues often are associated with networking issues.

Hi,

Yes, the mac mini is connected to a Netgear WN2500RP and so are also my mediaplayer Bryston BDP-2 and my NAS.
200MB fiber internet. I can choose if I want my BDP-2 or my DAC, Bryston BDA-3, to be the endpoint of Roon but it doesen’t matter what I choose.

Everything wired with Audioquest ethernet cables.

Best regards.
Lars

All connections using ethernet cable? RoonServer, NAS, and DAC should all be wired, imho. If any of them is on WiFi that is probably the first thing to test.

Hi again,
No wifi, everything is wired with ethernet cables. I only use the wifi for remote to the BDP-2. And JRiver works perfect in same set-up/network. Same with the BDP-2.

But I just discover that the analyzing have started again…? I had appx 20.000 files on my NAS and it took 2.5 dayS to analyze them. Now Roon says that there are 1.305 files to analyze. I haven’t add any new files at all so why Roon now will analyze 1.305 files I cannot understand. I think I have to wait for the analyze process to end again and then test again.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards
Lars

This is a range extender, right? We’ve seen many, many problems caused by range extenders (as discussed here), so I would strongly recommend at least testing with a fully wired configuration.

I see that your NAS and Core are wired, but I’m guessing your network runs off a different router? Or am I misunderstanding how you’re using the Netgear?

Another thing to try would be to move a file to the Mac Mini’s internal drive, like to the Music folder, and to see if that plays back without issue. If that works, we know there’s an issue between the Core and NAS. If that doesn’t work, we know there’s an issue between the Core and the audio device.

Can you try those tests and let me know how it goes @Lars_Johansson – once we get you working we can restart the clock on your free trial too, so you have the full 14 days to try Roon.

Thanks!

Hi again,

Yes, it’s a range extender. My music room is on our top floor in the house and the router from fiber is on the bottom floor. So internet connection is via wifi but still everything else is wired, NAS, mac mini and Bryston are all wired to the Netgear. Do you mean it still can cause problems? The wifi is only for remote and some internet surfing. I am not streaming any music.

Right now I am in bed with high fever so I will read the link you posted and test your suggestions asap when I am on my feet again. Thank your support and also your offer to restart the trial but I have a 60 days trial offered by Bryston.

It would be perfect if Roon was working because I really like all the features.

Best regards
Lars Johansson

I would hope this would be pretty stable, but we have seen range extenders that drop their connection to the main router on a pretty frequent basis, which can cause instability, particularly for devices that are getting their addresses from the main router.

The only way to be sure is to test – network troubleshooting is not fun :frowning:

Ok, let us know when you’ve had a chance to test so we can make sure we get this working for you. Feel better!

Thanks!

Best regards
Lars Johansson

Hi again,

I feel a little bit better today so I have now done some more tests. But first, the analyze process is now finished and it works better now. Roon can play 4-5 songs but then suddenly stopped 1-2 minutes in the song. After stopping Roon automatically jumped to the next song.

I have now tried with music files on the internal drive but no change. Next test will be with another extender of much higher quality and more modern, a Netgear Nighthawk. I tested the ethernet speed. Wifi via my main router over 300Mbps but via the extender 50-60 Mbps. I think the new Nighthawk is faster but also more reliable?

I checked Netgear Orbi and Google Home but it seams not to be possible. My internet supplier, Telia-the absolute biggest phone and internet supplier in Sweden, are using their own modem/router (all in one) so I cannot use another main router. The Telia modem/router can today handle speed up to 1.000Mbps.

Maybe I also have to think of installing an ethernet cable from the main router up to my music room and then connect everything via an ethernet switch? Maybe that can be a good investment so I will take contact with a network installer company to check the price for that. I can’t do it my self due the fact that I am partly handicapped.

Hopefully I can do the test with the Nighthawk today.

Best regards
Lars

@Lars_Johansson would you be able to run a cable in temporarily from your router to a switch for testing purposes?

Russ

Yes, I can. I have to buy a 15 meter long ethernet cable in this case but thats possible. Maybe I can get one rather fast.

Best regards
Lars

@Lars_Johansson Let us know how you get on?

Russ

Absolutely. I am home with fever but my son will buy a long ethernet cable after his work today so I will be able to test today.

Best regards
Lars

Have now tested with an ethernet cable directly from the main router down stairs and a HP switch. Same result…
The strange thing is that JRiver and BDP-2 works well in exactly the same set-up.
Now I don’t really now what to test? All settings in Roon are default. Can I test to change anything there?

Best regards
Lars

HI Lars, I just want to restate things so I understand. At the moment from what I understand from your description, you have an Ethernet cable from the router to an HP switch and you’ve removed the netgear from the chain?

Hi Daniel,
Yes, correct. Tried that to be sure if the Netgear was the problem.

Best regards
Lars