Watched folder not importing new files into Roon

Sorry, but it’s reasonably obvious what has happened here I think

1. The CD’s have been ripped by XLD, but WITHOUT hitting the “Get Metadata” icon that needs to be hit on EVERY album in order for XLD to retrieve Metadata

2. As a result, the CD’s were Ripped with the Track Title from the File Names on the CD…but WITHOUT any Metadata being Embedded in the ID3 Tags

3. The User did use the Organised Folder option when initially setting up Roon, as evidenced by the User’s own Screenshot above…copy below

1. As the Organised Folder option was used…and the Files had no Metadata, Roon MAY have put all the Files into One folder, resulting in the jumble as seen in the User’s screenshot below

1. As all the Files are now in One folder, Roon has no real way to “Clump” the Tracks into Albums…nor has it any Metadata to help in this endeavour

Suggestion would be for the User to revert to the Folders that were created when XLD originally Ripped the CD’s [assuming these Folders still exist somewhere as a backup]…and point Roon at those using the Watched Folder option

Roon MAY then be able to satisfactorily clump these into Albums and recover the Metadata as expected etc.

I am 100% certain that I did get metadata for each file at the beginning of the ripping process, there was also cover art in all but a few cases, perhaps because It could not be readily found. Also, I may have originally used the organized folder, but if I did, I did not use it for long, rather set up and used the watched folder for at least 90% of the songs.

I think I may delete all of the ripped files, uninstall Roon, re-install it and simply start the project over, this time ensuring that everything is working properly before ripping a bunch of CD’s.

My question is what is up with the sudden complete loss of function coupled with the loud buzzing I am getting, after several reboots?

Mike - let me know your thoughts on this and if you have any concerns or specific instructions relative to uninstalling and reinstalling Roon.

Thx.

Hey @Lee_Allen – I think a fresh start here makes sense, since these files do seem to be missing the kind of tags you’re going to want, in Roon or anywhere else.

Moving on:

So, I know this about your system:

Can you tell me some more about the buzzing you’re hearing? What output are you hearing it on, and how is it configured? Screenshots like the two shown here would be great.

You can start fresh by deleting your Roon database folder and then installing fresh.

Once you’re started re-ripping your content, feel free to send over a file or two using the instructions I sent you previously – happy to confirm you’re on the right track the second time around.

Thanks @Lee_Allen!

Mike - restarted the Mac a fourth time and Roon now playing music again, so hopefully won’t see that issue again.

To clarify, you are telling me to just delete all of the files in my ‘Killer’ folder and start ripping files anew with metadata, that I don’t need to uninstall and reinstall Roon, correct?

Thanks.

No, I was suggesting how you would start with a fresh Roon install

That said, if you’re going to rerip your CDs with full metadata, I can’t imagine the files in the “Killer” folder are going to be much use.

Like I said, feel free to send over a file or two once you’re ripping with the new improved process – I can make sure this is working as expected the 2nd time around.

Ok, will proceed tomorrow and touch base with you interns of how the new approach goes.

Before you re-rip everything try using Musicbrainz Picard’s analysis feature to see if it can recognise, tag and rename the files for you.

OK guys, I have done everything directed to do multiple times:

1. Deleted my database of music (nearly 600 songs).
  2. Deleted Roon and reinstalled it (now 6 times, restarting the Mac each time).
  3. Deleted the folders I had previously used, creating a new watched folder each time and deleting all previously watched folders.
  4. The only time Roon imported the files accurately with all links actively working, reflecting separate albums was about 3 weeks ago. At that time i only ripped 3 albums, and everything worked perfectly, UNTIL the next morning, when everything reverted back to the same #@%&*! - no separate albums, no metadata, no working links. JUST the same experience today. I deleted all previous files, uninstalled Roon, and ripped 10 albums into my newly created watch folder “CDs”. same old problems!!!

Please contact me for a remote desktop session - I have now spent at least 20 hours of pure frustration, paid for my 1 year subscription back in December…

Note screen shot depicting today’s frustrating state of affairs below:

Here is a screen shot of my watched folder “CDs”. BTW, these files when ripped exhibit all the metadata and cover art. AND they import flawlessly into iTunes using the same process…

Hi Lee,

Could you do me a favour and right click on the Diana Krall track in your screenshot and, at the top of the screen, click the Track Info button. Then click on File Tags link in the pop up box.

Please post a screenshot of the results.

Cheers, Greg

here you go…

Thanks Lee,

Did you scroll down to the bottom of that window before the screenshot?

Starting at the top of the list, I’m looking for:
Album
Albumartist
Artist
Date
Discnumber
etc.

Can you try again and let me know?

Cheers, Greg

There is no ability to scroll within that window, just went back and rep acted the process to ensure. All of the info contained is in the screen shot.

here is a screen shot of the previous with the process you requested:

Hi Lee,

OK, either there is no metadata attached to your tracks or Roon is just not seeing them.

Regardless, we need to get your files into a format that Roon can import.

Here’s what I would like to try with you. We are going to run XLD on all your tracks to try again to pick up metadata. I would like to create a new directory on your OWC HD. Maybe call it RoonMusic. You can call it anything you like. :grin:

We will then Remove the current CDs music folder from Roon and then add the new one.

Let me know if you’re ok with this and I’ll give you instructions. But one thing I would like to check right now is that you have “Add Tags to the Output Files if Possible” checked in XLD>Preferences under the Metadata tab. Like this:

Cheers, Greg

I’m beginning to think I need to use different ripping software. Can you recommend ripping software that:

1. Is absolutely known to produce files that work well in Roon.
  2. Produces top-notch, highest quality sounding AIFF files (I have a bit more $$ invested in my system than I do my Porsche, so sound quality is of paramount importance to me).

Thanks!

Greg, just checked and I did not have the “add tags…” box checked. I’m going to delete the 10 discs I have ripped and rip a few new ones to a new folder and see if that fixes it. Will let you know soon… Thx.

Hey Lee,

I recommend that you make sure the output places all your tracks into individual folders. It will make life a lot easier if you eventually have hundreds of albums. My music folders look like this:

Cheers, Greg

First album imported correctly. Will rip some more and keep my fingers crossed! Will let you know once some time has passed if this appears to be the fix. Thx.