1.536Mhz PCM/DSD 1024 do we need it?

Did you just try and Rickroll everyone? :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not very subtle… But the mods must have been in a good moods.

1 Like

I don’t think you understood the opening post.

The OP has DSD1024 and 1.5 MHz files.

You mention 10th Gen i7 but even an 8th Gen i3 would be fine for playback…

The OP likes using Roon and the OP’s request is for Roon is just play the file ‘as is’.

5 Likes

Hello. Aren’t there more DACs capable of playing these kinds of files than files in these resolutions :grin: ?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP had over 5000 files that he could convert to these high rates. Not sure if there are 5000 DACs capable of playing these rates.

I’m not sure people are understanding the OP’s request.

But I’m pretty sure Roon’s Tech staff do, which is probably more important for the OP.

3 Likes

I agree in the sense that you can convert any file you have to those rates. But then, you can also convert them to DSD524288 and build build a DAC that supports it through HDMI 2.1, which goes up to 48 Gbit/s. Does that make sense?

Also, this is a quote from one of OP’s post:

“The point of external upsampling isn’t to do something new (cause as mentioned, you’re already upsampling!), the point is to do it with as high performance a tool as possible so that you minimise any negative impacts of the oversampling your DAC would otherwise be doing.”

My understanding is that the request is for Roon to support up-sampling to those rates - and by extension, to support such files.

That is rather silly. The OP already has a DAC supporting the rates mentioned in the thread title.

So no your post doesn’t make any sense at all.

Did you see this part below, in the OP?

Do you know what PGGB is? It doesn’t appear you do. And it is the crux of the OP.

5 Likes

I guess the OP should clarify, but I’m not sure why anyone would want to pre-up-convert and then store humongous files for the purpose of better playback when this can - and should - be done in real time during playback.

He really doesn’t need to clarify any more than his OP, if you understand what PGGB is… His OP is crystal clear to me and probably Roon Tech staff.

If you don’t care for PGGB or what he’s asking about - that’s fine.

But then - why are you even commenting in this thread ???

If he wants to store and play humongous files, why is that your problem ???

His OP already mentioned HQPlayer… Do you know what that does ???

:smiley:

9 Likes

Because some of the filters / modulators are cheaper to pre-process and store on disk than to build a system that can do the work in real time. Additionally, there are some filters / modulators that require enough compute they can’t be run in real time on current hardware.

3 Likes

When the hardware catches up, will we immediately double or quadruple the sampling rate and push it right back beyond limits and continue storing bigger and bigger files? Soon enough, audiophile systems will require more bandwidth and storage than professional video production. It makes no sense to keep throwing resources at a problem that has been solved for quite a while now.

3 Likes

It makes no sense for you to keep posting here, until you actually understand what the opening post is about.

Please find out what PGGB is, what HQPlayer is, what DAC the OP has in his hands right now.

And then re-read his opening post again.

And yet again - if the feature request doesn’t interest you, why are you posting here?

10 Likes

I think I understand the OP’s feature request. The OP wants to be able to play DSD1024 files through Roon. Marian is not violating forum rules by giving his feedback on the issue. After all, having a forum dedicated to feature requests is mostly about the Roon staff getting feedback from the Roon community. actually I think that Marian makes an interesting point regarding the potential benefits of the DSD1024 format.

But does it need to be made over and over again? This is a feature request thread. Take part, decide if it’s a feature you’d like and vote accordingly. If you don’t feel it’s a suitable addition for Roon, move on.

There is hardly any need for questioning the background of the request repeatedly after it’s purpose has been clarified.

11 Likes

And to be honest the ressource argument is kind of outdated in 2022. Even my old 2014 Mac Mini is bored to death running Roon with DSP…

1 Like

What exactly is that point? And if there is one, what makes it interesting given that the OP very clearly has explained why he asks for this service?

1 Like

I think I understood the original request. But. My experience with upsampling is bad, count me on the list of those preferring not to use a computer to modify a music file before sending it to my dac.

What makes it interesting is that it is his point of view. The discussion did get unnecessarily heated, but there is no right or wrong answer here. It is up to Roon to choose which features they implement in the next release.

1 Like

Almost all DACs do this…Roon does it…HQPlayer does it extremely well and better than any other tool or device I have used.

Upsampling is certainly a good thing to do…

4 Likes

Perhaps not… here’s a different perspective. As noted by another member, most DAC’s do upsampling internally, and they do it well.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/oped/secrets-qa-with-john-siau-of-benchmark-media-systems/