10 Gbit vs 1 Gbit port on NAS

I got a new QNAP HS-453DX NAS which has two Ethernet ports:

Which is recommended to use between NAS and router? Meaning if either might be creating more digital noise? (@David_Snyder has always great experience)

The one that works! Notice how the 10Gb port is compatible with everything lesser? Thatā€™s because a negotiation is necessary before communication can happen.

1 Like

Seems you really got something wrong here. I very much appreciate all input of course. Itā€™s just that I know David has had a lot of experience with that kind of tweaking & testing.

Unless you have another 10G device that you can do file copy with and you directly connect the NAS to that, do not use the 10G port.

2 Likes

If you really do appreciate any input then mine is that this thread will simply generate more noise about ā€˜noiseā€™ā€¦to no useful conclusion.

2 Likes

I already thought about that (also the 1G will most likely be less power consuming and create more noise) - thanks!

@Markus_Hubner - it looks like youā€™ve already received some good advice here. My NAS (Synology DS1821+) has an empty PCIe slot that I could use to add a 10 Gbps card. I considered it, but I donā€™t currently have 10 Gbps infrastructure, including switching, routing, and cables. If we move to a new place, I may re-work parts of my network so that I have a 10 Gbps core for the NAS, Router, and switch uplinks, but virtually all clients will be connected using 1 Gbps interfaces.

Iā€™m not quite sure that I understand your question around digital noise. We get galvanic isolation for free with copper 1 and 10 Gbps connections because the standard requires magnetic coupling of all switch ports. To achieve 10 Gbps speeds, you need CAT6 cabling, which is built and terminated to tighter tolerances than CAT5. I suppose this could be helpful to reduce RF leakage, but Iā€™ve not measured this. Itā€™s unusual to deploy shielded CAT6 cabling in domestic environments, since crosstalk is not an issue (you donā€™t have cable races with hundreds of cables tightly bound together running down your halls).

If the switch to which youā€™re connecting your new NAS is only 1 Gbps, as others have said, you can use either port since auto-negotiation is enabled by default. But, I donā€™t think one has any advantage over the other wrt to performance or noise. Sadly, Iā€™ve not had an opportunity to test, but when I do, Iā€™ll certainly share my results.

1 Like

10GBe or SFP+ connections on a NAS are typically put there by manufacturers to support iSCSI SANs. The other is simply for high speed file transfer. Most times when Iā€™ve done 10GBe itā€™s been for iSCSI.

That allows you to take a computer and access the NAS storage and present it to the client OS as if it were directly attached disk drives.

I run 10GBe in home and can get 800MB/s sustained from my Dell R620 all SSD to my HP Z420 workstation (also SSD).

If you shop smartly 10GBe is very affordable. I did my entire 10G for $320. Thatā€™s switch, multi-mode fiber, SFP+ transceivers, daughter riser card for the server and PCI-e 2.0 8X for the workstation.

1 Like

A few points:

You canā€™t get CAT5 any longer. Hasnā€™t been a thing for ~22 years now.

CAT5e is supported by many vendors for 10GB. Typically 15-30 meters. Check with the manufacturer.

1 Like

Right. I intentionally left off specific designations like ā€œCAT5eā€ and ā€œCAT6aā€ for simplicity, but thanks for calling this out in case anyone was confused.

I wired my home a few years ago with CAT5e as it was cheaper than CAT6 and supported 1G just fine. I havenā€™t tried 10G yet, but I have no pressing need.