10 Reasons for Roon

Yes my MA below the Google does the same thing. Way too small to be usable at a distance.
There is always the 55" TV with Chromecast for those moments where we want a karaoke :grin:

Haha. Always had a Mac as I was told it would be simple for someone as thick as me. To be honest it has except itā€™s ability to find album covers when I rip a CD.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the pi for numio control? Your a lefty as well I see.

Sheer luck how well the two fits together
Trust me I moved all the crap away to make the top look tidy as well :roll_eyes:

Thatā€™s only 3 feet from my headphone listening position so having it and the Nuimo remote there just show the breadth Roonā€™s options available. Very difficult for anyone to pull us away from Roon now at least for many of us.

The new MA devices have gone up a lot in price, but they look visually fantastic and they will undoubtedly have great sound

1 Like

Righty with my hand, Lefty with my politics :grin:
(All about balance)

Pi does Nuimo yes and also for when I play with HQP as it can do DSD512/PCM767 into the MA where as Roon can only do DSD128/PCM384

(I donā€™t need eitherā€¦ But sometimes I canā€™t help myself)

2 Likes

I am really perverse . Listening is 100% Roon.

Most classical stuff still gets the ā€œfull treatmentā€ , Composer; Composition, Movement , track and Name rationalisation. Album covers etc , before going into its rightful folder. Rock tends to easier as no Compositions etc

I keep a folder on my ā€œworkingā€ drive, I direct import into JRiver, fix up etc then drop into the main music library drive. Then delete from JRiver as they will imported as normal from the library folder.

I use a combination of JRiver, MusiCHI Tagger and Tag&Rename to get stuff right. The main library is done so itā€™s only a chore for new stuff

JRiver still has its uses despite what the detractors say about it :joy:

1 Like

I started with Sooloos and am now with Roon and couldnā€™t agree more with this review.

I stopped using it when i found it was taking me longer to figure out where they had hidden what i wanted in the update. Felt like the supermarket where they mix up the isles every six months to make you buy more :grinning:
Bought it first in 2010 I think.

Is that why I do the washing up with Corn Flakes :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Getting round to ripping the small selection of Classical CDā€™s we have, mainly compilations. God its horrible experience getting the correct metadata ripping and covers anywhere near what they are and this is pre Roon. I pity you full on classical lovers, pop/rock etc so much easier to rip and organise, Thankfully I dont have more than 15 discs of Classical :slight_smile:

I ripped my 200 odd but never checked them really. Thereā€™s enough information in a basic rip to find them.

Thirsty business this ripping. I thought I had done all my main artists and was on to comps , jazz and classical. Got bored with too mucj maintenance on the classical and found some stragglers. A bit of Woodford Reserve eases the pain. Itā€™s all worth it I suppose.

6 Likes

I did 80 compilations in two 8 hour sessions on Wednesday and Thursday, but getting there. Only tapes from radio, own mixes and the like left :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Compilations seem to be bad at getting metadata, especially from MusicBrainz, they seem to have some of the discs missing in a set which is very odd.

I was actually lucky, it was 80 ā€œbest of the monthā€ samplers that had accompanied editions of Spex Magazine in Germany, and someone has apparently spent some time on Allmusic or something. The artists, covers and dates were largely complete, so much better than expected and mostly good enough. Though Discogs had more metadata, we need Discogs import.

3 Likes

Agreed on that, discogs would be great to have.

1 Like

MusicBrainz is particularly bad for classical as many classical ā€œtracksā€ have appeared in many incarnations.

Rock is normally fairly simple as various ā€œreleasesā€ vary only by marginal track timing differences which SongKong uses to differentiate say a Remaster version in each case the Album name is constant. Bonus tracks make a completely different album of course.

If you think about a classical star say Alfred Brendel he has been released re-released , Best Of , All Recordings etc as Philips still try to make money out of back catalogue. An individual Beethoven Piano Sonata may exist in 10 or more identical recordings but different albums (and album names)

Often the track timings , names etc are identical over all these incarnations BUT the album will be different in each case . No wonder metadata lookup is a mess as its bound to lookup based on these metadata tags .

Classical metadata is not for sissies :smiling_imp:

I use an iPad for my Roon Remote and I get all the album covers for every album I have ripped, bought or bought from Qobuzā€¦I hate iTunesā€¦even though Iā€™m an Apple guyā€¦

2 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what attracted me. Artwork and iPhone remote. Guess Iā€™m simple.

1 Like

I thought I would recap and react to the 10 Reasons.

1. The Blend: Stored or Streamed, Itā€™s All the Same in Roon-ville
Yes, although I mostly stream now.

2. Roon Radio = Music Discovery On A Grand Scale
Great promise, has never left me satisfied in execution. Expanding to other Valance featuresā€¦ Daily Mix is great idea, poor results.

3. Plug & Play Networking YES

4. Roon Works Across Multiple Manufacturers This seems the same as #3

5. Multi-System/Multi-Room Support YES

6. Roon Keeps Getting Better YES and NO. They leave a lot of small changes on the floor.

7. Roon Turns a Tablet and/or Smartphone Into a Superb Remote Mostly Yes. I find the phone interface tricky but I give them a break here.

8. Drag and Drop Add to Library Not applicable for me.

9. Roon Sounds Great & The Interface Canā€™t be Beat (a twofer) Yes on Sound. Mixed on Interfaceā€¦ maybe a step too far to say it canā€™t be beat. Having some minimal customization would go a long way (Hide and reorder menu choices to start)

10. USB Was a Bandaid: Ethernet Is Where Its At I am missing how this is a Roon benefit.

Plus:

• High Res Streaming integration
  • Integrated reviews (although they could be so much better)
  • Extensions (could be better)
  • Filtering system can be useful
  • Discover and Home mean well, could use some updates
  • the community
  • appreciate DSP even though I rarely use it

Minus:

• Playlist integration with streaming service is abysmal
  • Only one picture per artist (seems Danny is fixing this)
  • They could expose a lot more of my playback data to me or to extensions to do interesting things (let an Extension developer create similar to Spotify Year End reveiw)
  • would like a ā€œpass throughā€ mode for music streams without metadata (like MixCloud). This would work like Internet Radio, where you clearly are in a different part of the app and get a more limited experience
3 Likes