1001 songs you must hear before you die

I’m going through the latest edition (2017), of this great thick book. Listening to everytrack and creating a fantastic playlist of old friends I haven’t heard in decades plus other new to me tracks. Many of them now available in MQA if that’s your thing, thanks to tidal. May take me a few weeks to finish but really worth it.I highly recommend this book.

1 Like

A link, or ever better, ISBN number would be helpful. I keep finding earlier editions.

Albums version :

https://www.goodreads.com/series/55173-1001-before-you-die

Hi Lloyd. I’m having difficulties uploading images at present for some reason.The isbn no. is 978 1 76052 303 9.
QSS.SON17

I have the 2005 edition–that’s one way I used to discover music. Read a review, add to my list and visit record shops, markets or eBay for a used copy. So much easier with Roon and TIDAL!

I’d be interesting to see what’s been dropped in the last decade to keep the total to 1001. I always thought the publishers missed a trick: a yearly update subscription rather than buying the whole tome every year.

1 Like

Agreed! They’d make money from me for both music and movies…

1 Like

Hi James!

Did you ever finish putting together this TIDAL playlist? Do you have a link to your playlist to share the love? :smile:

Jason

Hi Jason,
Yep. I’m away from home at present, but ended up with a playlist of 400+ from the initial 1000 songs. I will take a look and see if I can figure out how to make it available when I return home.

Hi, I’m confused (easily done). Is this 1001 songs or 1001 albums? Thanks.

1001 songs.

I have no idea how to share my roon playlist??? Any suggestions?

Ta. I had better get cracking and start listening to them in the car. Shame I stopped operating or I could have listened to them in Theatre (OR).

I think you can create a Tidal playlist and share that.
There is an existing spotify playlist or two though of a previous version of the book - I will have a go with soundiiz to move it to Tidal and share that, maybe tonight.

1 Like

I guess if that means manually creating another 400 song tidal playlist it’s not going to happen. I thought there may be a way of copyng my roon playlist.

This is the playlist i found on Spotify then converted to Tidal
Caveats:-
I don’t know which version of the book this relates to
There were only 982 tracks to start with
61 tracks weren’t converted
In the past I have found Soundiiz will pick a karaoke version of a track if the real thing isn’t in Tidal
921 Tracks in Playlist
Other than that it should be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Ged,
I’ll take a look.
Cheers

Scanning through the list, I find the first few hundred fine, some furrowed brows midway, and definitely feeling my age towards the end.

I wonder though, how many of the last 200 would still appear on a list in 20 years time compared to the first 200?

Interesting anyway, and thank you.

Brian

As has ever been the way with popular music of all ages.
i had a go using Soundiiz to put them in Qobuz - Soundiiz does not get on well with Qobuz. Skipped 140 more tracks down to 788.
Same when i tried to convert my 3000 Starred tracks from spotify - tidal lost 150 - Qobuz 499. Some of those genuinely aren’t in Qobuz but lots were just misses on conversion.

Thanks for the link, there’s a few days listening about to start :+1:t4: