2 separate libraries

Any updates?

If you use the same computer, on hers, disable the folders that contain your music, then add the folders that will contain her music. If you use different computers, then I have no idea.

Given that response from Noris, I suggest asking in a year’s time … not 24 days.

2 Likes

I know it’s late but I’ll throw in my +1 for this. As a new user to Roon (going through a trial now) and thinking about migrating off of Plex, having separate libraries would be a huge feature for me. I have three libraries that I’d like to keep separate:

• My releases library (the old iTunes library that I’ve migrated out of iTunes), all of the purchased stuff and ripped CDs. 95% ALAC but some MP3/AAC stragglers still around. All very well tagged and structured.

• Live audience recording library, all FLAC, and tagging is a constant work in progress

• My wife’s iTunes library, which is almost all purchased iTunes content (and stylistically completely different than the content in my two).

I love the Netflix model someone suggested above, where choose which library I wanted to stream from when I connect, or even choosing a profile that was associated with each library would be fine. But for me the one requirement would be that the libraries not overlap between profiles/libraries in search. I don’t want to see all three mangled together when I first connect (I know I can setup bookmarks but not the same) and I definitely don’t want the live stuff showing up with the released stuff when I look at an artist.

The other cool use case for profiles is Tidal. My wife has her own account on our family plan, has her own playlists, etc. It would be great if she could connect and play from her stuff without seeing mine, local, Tidal, all unique to her.

I’m a relatively new user & I naturally support any additional features that provide greater flexibility, even though this would have no use for me.

I could be well off the mark here, but I suspect this type of system would, therefore, impact (contravene) Roon’s licensing method. Under the current system, your wife would have to purchase her own, whereas your proposal would enable her personal access without the need to purchase.

Whether having the option for different libraries would draw in new subscriptions or purchases is something different.

Cheers.

Thanks for your support on this feature request. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard about Roon on this and it is very disappointed because lots of services nowadays provide this functionality as you mentioned.

Hifi is not only a solo hobby anymore so I am still puzzled why this is not available. But hey we got auto-sleep instead, very cool.

1 Like

Here I have 2 library. One USB HDD 8TB to Sonic Transporter run Roon core, all Ethernet to my stream DAC and end point, I use Roon server. Another one USB HDD to my router \readyshare_Drive. I have 2 Sonos , Teac NT 505, Auralic Altair, Bluesound. They all have no problem to scan my second HDD my local network. Sometime my internet down I still stream my second library.

Or just charge a bit more for family accounts, like Tidal does. I would hope that licensing wouldn’t factor into feature decisions to that level, but perhaps there is such a small need for this model it wouldn’t be worth the engineering effort.

I had this same problem when I first started using roon (3 years ago or so?) and I found using tags with folder locations does this just fine. It would certainly be cool to see a Netflix style login to allow complete separate users with their own storage locations however. More points if these can simultaneously be used by different endpoints with a different profile. Essentially an expansion to the current user functionality.

That being said, since you have your stuff tagged nicely (I’m assuming OCD like myself :D) then the focus pane can help you out as well. It works pretty nicely, just a bit of user training.

I highly doubt the need is small & a family account seems fairly standard across a variety of platforms. Looking beyond the realm of streaming & I’ll now view Roon as a Club. Most Clubs - sporting, gym and so on all have family memberships.

As per suggestions from @hells & @Khang_Nguyen1 perhaps there are ways to work around the current subscription arrangments, that fall within the terms. Creating folders & bookmarks seems to be the current way of doing things, but that’s hardly separate. I really don’t have much of an idea here, as it’s something I’ve not needed (thus far).

Aug 19, 2019

Seems Gigatoaster already been there!!!

2 Likes

Yeah he should have made bookmarks for his as well to hid her content. It’s irritating for sure. I hope real progress on this feature happens. Even with the bookmarks, the overview page will give you suggestions that are based on both, so it’s not perfect.

1 Like

This problem, and a few others, would be solved if Roon had true profiles.

Profiles where everything in a profile was segregated from everything in another profile.

3 Likes

Do you guys think it’s a license issue? How could we know for sure?

Implementing true distinct profiles would probably require extensive code revision, so unlikely ever to happen. This leaves workarounds, the tried and tested Roon way.

This is crazy that Roon doesn’t have this feature! It cost’s more than Netflix to use Roon, and Roon has no content of it’s own, doesn’t have content production cost, no servers to maintain, no comparable bandwidth costs, etc. In this day and age separate family member profiles is a must. Four cores is not the solution. It makes the cost of Roon well over 2X the cost of Netflix!

Au contraire.

Really? My Netflix costs 15.99 a month USD. So, 6 dollars a month more than Roon.

1 Like

Sorry… I had to edit my original post. I calculated for 4 cores and wrote two for some reason. I have a wife and 2 kids. Math was right but explanation was wrong.

Roon is just like your personal streaming service. This means that there is exactly one library for all users (per Core for Roon), different user accounts (profiles for Roon) can be used to store a user’s favorites and playlists from the contents of the library.

I don’t get why users complain about the way Roon works, thereby referring to other services that work exactly the same as Roon does?

Please understand our point of view. Profiles doesn’t answer to the issue as described at the beginning of the topic.