2021 MBP (m1) + ROON --> Airplay to --> Marantz SR 8015 - loss of sound quality

My take on this is that it’s free shipping and free returns on Amazon.

I would likely hook one up by analog RCA, toslink and spdif and switch through them to see which, if any, sound better.

Of course HDMI may very well be superior but at zero financial impact it’s something I would consider.

But I’m a born tinkerer…lol.

1 Like

Sure, but Amazon also sells the pure play – straight USB-to-S/PDIF converters. Still, why go through the dance of multiple protocol conversions when HDMI is the “native” protocol for this receiver?

The S88 DAC receives the input from Roon via Ethernet and has 7.1 analog RCA outputs connected to the receivers 7.1 inputs. Using the 7.1 inputs on the receiver bypasses the internal processors and goes straight through to the amps.

I have B&W speakers as well. My 7.2.4 configuration has the towers in front and back, bookshelves for side surrounds, and will have the CMM662’s in the ceiling when I finish the currently ongoing soundproofing remodel.

3 Likes

One of the best, imho, opinion, in terms of adding Roon streaming to existing equipment is the Allo Digione Player prebuilt with DietPi, which takes an ethernet in and provides a SPDIF Coax out to your receiver. It is very easy for someone new to Roon to setup. Most equipment have a SPDIF Coax input. And, most importantly, actually sounds very good. And, is pretty cheap.

See: DigiOne Player SPDIF Out

1 Like

My LSX speakers don’t have a USB connection for directly connecting them to Roon via USB. The Topping acts as the USB-to-TOSLINK coverter so I don’t lose any sound quality in the transfer (AirPlay or KEF Streaming can have issues). It’s a nice options for devices that have optical inputs but not USB inputs.

1 Like

Yep for PCM, but in case you want to use DSD…

Thank you Bill. Appreciate it.

I ran out of $$. I was able to do a front channel, two towers (702S2), 4 B&W in ceiling and a SVS sub. So I used most of it. It’s a beautiful receiver. The sound is warmer than my previous Arcam. Tonight I am going to do the HDMI from my MBB to the CD HDMI and see what I get.

1 Like

Our systems are very close! But it sounds like you have towers in front and back! Wow. That must sound amazing.

Yes we have similar setups. I’ve had my first pair of B&W 600 series towers & book shelve speakers for 10 to 15 years. Don’t recall exactly. The bass wasn’t quite good enough so I added the JL Audio F112 V2 subs.

That was fine for awhile until my local Audio Video store let me bring a pair of the 702 s2’s home to demo. Decided to keep them and moved the old towers to the back surrounds. Had the 600 series books in the back and moved those to the sides.

It works for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.