24/192 Files Stream Without Audio To HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, RopieeeXL

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS218+
Roon 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NetGear Orbi Wifi router
Synology connected to router via ethernet
DB stored on USB SSD

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RoonBridge (1.7 (build 571) running on RopieeeXL) connected via ethernet
Raspberry Pi 4b
HifiBerry DIGI+ Pro
TOSLink connection to KEF LSX
KEFs paired wirelessly, which downsamples to 24/48 (and has no problem with any <=96kHz files from Roon)

Description Of Issue

According to the specs, the HifiBerry Digi+ supports 24/192:

However when I stream 24/192 via Roon to the Digi+ Ropieee, Roon shows the track is playing but there’s no audio. Here’s what I’m seeing and what I’ve tested:

• Set zone max sample rate to “Up to 192kHz”. File shows streaming but no audio is heard. Signal Path shows “Enhanced”. See attached “Roon-Upto-192.png”.

• When I drop the Digi+ Ropieee zone max sample rate down to “Up to 96kHz”, the audio streams fine. Signal Path shows “High Quality” and that the file is down-converted. See attached “Roon-Upto-96.png”

I’ve tested completely disabling DSP but no luck; the only way I can play 192 files is to set the zone to down-convert to 96, even though the Digi+ says it supports 192 w/o issue.

Is this a Roon issue? A Ropieee issue? A HifiBerry issue? Something else I should test? I captured the logs when a new 192 track was starting w/o audio and everything looks OK to my layman’s eyes but happy to send them in if needed.

Thanks!

Turn off “Volume Leveling”. See if that makes a difference.

I use a Toslink out of Digi+ Pro.

My signal path -

Isn’t Toslink limited to 24/96?

I have literally just set up a Digi+ Pro and currently listening to Springsteen at 24/192 (though not sure he sounds better for all those extra bits). This is using a coaxial cable rather than Toslink

This is what it looks like

Mike

Good suggestion but no luck. Disabled volume leveling, still silent. Also disabled all DSP to get the signal path to “Lossless”, same result.

@Michael_Harris That’s a great point, didn’t think about TOSLink possibly being an issue, but found this post:

I’m using a new but inexpensive FOSPower TOSLink so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was causing an issue. I’ll test with a coax over the holiday and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

According to HiFiBerry website, the HAT puts out up to 192K on all ports.

From the forum post linked to above -

Just something at the back of my mind, but if you’re using it at 192 then I guess it must work.
I just packed all my Toslink cables back away after declaring myself happy with the coaxial cable.

Regards

Mike

I use Toslink to avoid any extraneous electrical noise (the Digi+ Pro is galvanically isolated), but it probably doesn’t really matter.

So I just read the article and like me it’s all in the past.
So it was originally 48 and not 96 limited

I guess it’s cable dependent based on that forum post

Regards

Mike

1 Like

I’m a dedicated TOS user for isolation and have had trouble with 192KHz on a cable by cable basis. I’m also using a Digi+ board. Most cheap commodity cables struggle with 192, some even can’t manage 96 reliably. QED cables in the £20-40 range seem to get the job done so not stupid money.

1 Like

Hi @rcrawley,

I believe for 192 to work via Toslink, you’ll need to use the HiFiBerry OS instead of Ropieee, can you give this a try and let us know if it helps?

Thanks for the suggestion, but same result with HifiBerryOS: song shows it’s playing but no audio when device is set to max sample rate of 192; song plays fine with audio set to max 96. I still haven’t tested coax, waiting on a new cable to arrive. Also tested disabling volume leveling and DSP with the same result.

As an aside, HifiBerryOS allows me to control volume via Roon whereas Ropieee would only support fixed volume via Roon and force device volume (the KEFs volume). Having access to volume via Roon is a huge bonus, so I think I’ll be sticking with HifiBerryOS. Thanks again for the tip!

2 Likes

Hi @rcrawley,

Thanks for trying the HifiBerry OS, do let us know how it goes when the new cable comes in and if that helps with the issue!

I have downloaded and set up HifiBerryOS and ordered a new TOSLINK & Digital Coax cable and plan to test this when it arrives. I could only get 24/96 on both my current devices though I think they both support 24/192

Mike

Just tested with a new TOSLINK cable (admittedly also an inexpensive one) and no luck, same limit at 96. And I also thought the KEFs supported coax but I was incorrect, TOSLINK only, so that option is out.

But I was able to test something else: In another room I’m running another HifiBerry HAT but a DAC+, both are running the same RP4’s and both with 2GB RAM, and that roon end point has no problem with 192 content. So given that they’re both HifiBerry devices, both the “+” models, and both running on the same RP boards, I have to assume that this is a cable issue.

So until I’m comfortable paying more than $15 for a 1’ cable, I’m going to have to be content with downsampling to 96. Looking forward to seeing how others go in their testing, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

1 Like

I have been testing the Dac+ (Analogue output) this last week at 24/192 into my Sonos amp and it’s been working fine for me. It Occasionally stops working when we were doing quick switch listening tests between Sonos output and Dac+ but never when listening to music. General consensus is that the Dac+ sounds better than streamed to Sonos from the multiple family members who took part (but it’s not a huge difference)

I built the Digi+ pro streamer this morning as well, so I will test that later today with the coaxial and Toslink as well as usb into my Fiio k5 pro Dac amp and let you know the results.

Mike

So I have set everything up and using RopieeeXL and happy to say it is playing 24/192 from both Toslink and SPDIF, though I am sure only SPDIF worked a couple of weeks ago. Though that might have been the Onkyo amp to be fair.

Here are some signal paths to my Fiio K5 pro using both 16/44.1 and 24/96 track’s.

Mike

1 Like

This is great, thanks for testing and confirming. Two follow-up questions:

• What cable are you using for TOSLINK?
  • Are you upsampling just to test 192, or is there another reason/benefit?

I am just using some basic Toslink and SPDIF cables that I went and picked up from a storage box (several years old) and I normally use usb (planning to transition to SPDIF as I get all cables). While it works with Fiio K5 pro, it didn’t work with my Onkyo amp (but that may be limited to 48khz)

I have read that many people say that they get 24/192 with Amazon basic cable’s so could be worth a try as they are fairly cheap.

If you look at the photos I show the path, normally I use max (power of 2) so for a CD rip to flac file I get 24/176
There is a slight improvement in sound quality using upscaling, but it is not a huge or remarkable improvement , when listening on headphone I often prefer DSD256 as this feels slightly better again.

Mike

My Onkyo RZ 740 is limited to 96 optical and coax to my surprise. Optical would fail occasionally at 96. Any higher frequency total silence. Found that limitation somewhere hidden in the manual.
Changed the setup and use an Elac Discovery music server to feed a power amp directly.

Klaus sorry mine did max out at 96 not 48.
As you said, totally silent after that

Mike