8TB SSD The price is right :-)

Interesting. I never did any of this, and I don’t remember an HDD in my enclosure dying on me. I have both a local and a cloud backup, so I don’t bother to check any health. The only thing I check for is bit rot, I have a script that compares file hashes and signals any mismatches.

I am not using a true NAS btw. I have an external USB enclosure with RAID support, connected to an old laptop running Windows that shares the external drive and also runs LMS server (used to run Roon server also). I spend practically zero time on maintenance.

It can be done!

.sjb

5 Likes

If this works for you than you don’t need a Nas, that saves you a lot of money.

Wow that’s beautifull John you can smell the music :wink:

1 Like

Don’t neglect the effort to groom your metadata, the ripping was actually less time consuming than making all the metadata correct and consistent. In fact two decades later I still occasionally find something to tweak.

Sheldon

5 Likes

At the recommendation of Mark Cole of Antipodes, I just purchased this drive - said to be the most reliable and the best sounding solid-state drive on the market today. They used to prefer the Evo series which I have in my existing dedicated Roon server, but I have on order and Antipodes K 41 server and can’t wait to install this bad boy. Yes, it’s expensive, but it should last me the rest of my natural life. Samsung PM893 MZ7L31T9HBLT-00A07 1.92 TB Solid State | Beach Audio

Should we close this thread already?

6 Likes

Anything related to Samsung and SSD, I would stay away. I’ve had two SSD’s from them in two different Nucleus that failed very short, they started to delete its data due too an firmware issue :flushed:

Happy I had backups, but time to re-build a 3TB library takes long time…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.