8TB SSD The price is right :-)

Hi, I installed a fresh 8TB Samsung SSD in my Intel NUC8i7BEH with the Akasa fanless casing and it works great. Let Rock do the formatting and you are in. If you want to upgrade, this is the moment, a little over €300,- here in Holland/Germany.

Another 800 CDs to rip………

Cheers John

12 Likes

Lets hope with 800 CD’s to rip you are in the first flush of youth and you are still around to finish the ripping :rofl:. On a serious note decide on so many CD’s to rip daily and stick to it ( Worked For Me ), soon gets done. Good luck.

LOL, I’m 67 so that could become a problem, hopefully there is time enough to rip everything :exploding_head: In the meanwhile I listen to CDs on my Audiolab CDT 7000 and the Matrix Audio Element I :partying_face:

1 Like

HDDs are perfectly fine for music storage, and since an 8TB HDD is about $100, 3x the price still doesn’t sound right to me.

Also, I don’t know how many CDs you have, but even if you rip WAV, you’d be able to fit over 10,000 in 8TB. If you’re ripping FLAC, you’re pushing 20,000.

Roon Backup:

Samsung Portable SSD T7, 1 TB, USB 3.2 Gen.2

75 EURO at Amazon

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Festplatte-Smartphone-Spielkonsole-MU-PC1T0T/dp/B087DFLF9S/

Torben

That might be true, but SSD’s are nicer :wink: (totally silent and low power).
@JTD have fun ripping and listening, 8TB is space enough for a boat load of FLAC files.

5 Likes

1TB HDD is $25 on Amazon, so same 3x ratio (disregarding exchange rate).

Amazon.com: Seagate Video 3.5 HDD Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - 1000GB (ST1000VM002) : Electronics

1 Like

With 8Tb you will have plenty spare. I’ve ripped nearly 1181, plus 500 purchases of aac to 192/24 I only take up under 700gb. The drive will likely die before you ever get near full.

1 Like

Have you considered a CD ripping service? I never tried one, but I’m curious.

Back in 2004 when I ripped about 2000 CD’s, I built a windows tower with as many CD drives as I could cram into the tower case (and had connections for on the MB), and would rip (using EAC) batches of 6 or 8 at a time.

Sheldon

It’s difficult to find a 2.5 inch HDD with a capacity this high. Sadly, Nucleus and similar fanless cases don’t accommodate 3.5 inch HDDs. If someone wants 8TB in a 2.5 inch form factor, SSD is the only game in town.

I’m also a fan of external storage for music. As a general rule, I don’t mix my data with the OS.

Well, yes. Most folks will use an NVMe SSD for the boot drive (also stores Roon’s database…no choice there) and a SATA SSD or external USB HDD for music storage. I’m speaking specifically of Roon Server deployments on Intel NUC and similar platforms.

1 Like

Hi Marian, yep HDDs are absolutely cheaper, I do have some myself. Synology Nas 4*6T in raid 10 and also an external 6TB drive. They consume a lot of power, are noisy and get warm. And the nas needs too much maintenance. I also had to swap 2 HDs that stopped working in the past 2 years, so my decision to upgrade the SSD feels good. The SSD is already filled with 4TB+ of music.

Cheers John

Respect Sheldon, 2000 CDs is quite a lot :wink:

Thanks for your suggestion!

I am retired, so plenty of time to do the ripping myself, using XLD on my Mac Mini M1 is so much faster than ripping used to be on an older Intel mini.

Cheers John

My CD cabinet, oops 1000+ :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent choice! A friend of mine installed that very same one in his Synology and it works great. Price is a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, my collection is much bigger so 8TB per bay is far from sufficient. Waiting for a reasonably priced 16TB variant. There are already some available but the price is ridiculous compared to this Samsung.

I have a Matrix Audio Elements I, Sadly the Coaxial input developed a fault and was returned nearly 7 weeks ago to the retailer for repair. Every time I contact them for an update keep being told they are waiting for a response from Matrix. Think soon I will have to start kicking Butt!.

That is not OK, I hope you have a spare streamer or dac.

Just curious, what kind of maintenance did your NAS require?

Checking disc health, a pile of security issues to monitor, keep apps / firmware up to date, checking log files for possible intruders, chechnon virusses, clean the cabinet because there is always a lot of dust inside, control the fan speed, higher in the summer, etc. etc. Not real maintenance, but I just don’t want to do all these things. You can automate a lot, however I don’t want to spend too much time on this.

1 Like