A fair day's pay for a fair day's work - paying musicians for their efforts

2 Likes

While the report broadly welcomes the government’s actions on the DCMS committee’s 2021 streaming report, it questions the practices of the working groups formed, which address transparency and metadata. “We heard that the working groups have missed their deadlines and that the promised public, tangible outcomes are yet to materialise,” it says. “We also heard that the working groups, despite one of which being on transparency, had very little in the way of transparency and accountability mechanisms themselves.”

It also suggests that, although the IPO has commissioned reports into remuneration and rights, “there might not be tangible action” on the reports due to a lack of working groups on those topics.

Sounds like another governmental boondoggle that needs to be disbanded asap :-1:
DCMS ……. Who’s babysitting the babysitter?

2 Likes

That’s not how I read @OffRode’s comment. The report criticise the UK government’s response for not being as interventionist as it needs to be to secure a good deal for musicians. Basically the report urges more government intervention, i.e. more tangible results.

1 Like

@SukieInTheGraveyard , apologies to you for messing with your topic. Wasn’t being political, I’m just cynical about any governmental agency getting anything done in a timely and efficient manner………sorry man :slightly_smiling_face:

No problem. I’m pleased that the UK government is looking into this but far from convinced that anything will happen.

2 Likes

Back to the important topic that you have brought up, they talk about it being a problem in the states as well. No easy answer seems at hand unfortunately, BUT by streaming music we are contributing to the problem. The only way we can help it seems presently is to support the musicians directly by purchasing physical copies of their music and merchandise. Attending concerts is the other way to support them, when we only stream it possibly hurts us and our children in the future.
Arts and music are under threat in our schools in the United States, it’s been going downhill for a while now…….sadly

Soapbox mode off………hopefully I haven’t stuck my foot in it.

1 Like