A field for your own notes

I feel it would be of great value to audiophiles to add a freeform text field where we can store our own notes or the notes of others. For example, these notes about the 1955 Heifetz recording of the Brahms Violin Concerto with Heifetz, Reiner and the Chicago SO:
RCA Living Stereo Series from Analogue Productions. Another of the rare performances of violinist Jascha Heifetz and conductor Fritz Reiner together with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. This stunning recording of Brahms’ Violin Concerto is nothing short of breathtaking. The original 30 ips 2-track analog tape was used to master these LP and SACD reissues. Remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, these new versions are clearer than the originals and warmer and richer than past reissues.
For me, this would be an invaluable addition. This was recorded in 1955 and released in 1959. This bit I can capture. I also have a strong interest in wine and https://www.cellartracker.com/, for example, provides a sizeable “Private Notes” field, where I can save the retailers’ comments and several reviews when I buy the wine or later.
Can you please consider this suggestion? It’s becoming more and more glaring for me. Without it, notes like the above are lost, effectively, forever to me. I’m sure there are many others who feel the same.

6 Likes

I think you have a good idea here, they already have linkable content available, all Roon would have to do is make some kind of link to a common web page, perhaps even a link into the community.roonlabs.com where everyone could add content, information and content.

I think it is better if they provide a free text field inside their own structure, so they and we as users have control of it. Links to outside sources is also useful, though you have no control over those sources and what their owners and others do with them (as someone who writes a sometimes blog in this age of massive internet censorship, I know very first hand).

2 Likes

It’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but if you have pdf files with the album you can view them. It’s easy enough to create your own.

I copy and paste into Word then use the Print to PDF feature to create a pdf doc

Add that to the Album folder and Roon will display a pdf icon on the Album View

Better than nothing

It’s workaround I hadn’t considered. Fairly simple. Thank you both for the suggestion. It’s a workaround at least, though what I am suggesting would be a much better solution, in my opinion.

1 Like

While the pdf notes is a good option/workaround for an album, I would actually like to be able to add this per track (note, pdf, whatever). This is specially useful for compilations or box sets, where you can note which album the track originally came from, but also for any other comment or remark you’d want to add on the track.

With the backlog of feature requests you may wait a while , if at all :smirk: