A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

You will find all sound engineers are out of work right now and it would be worth finding one local to you. Perhaps contact a local venue or the local live music magazine publishers.
We have a free mag called The Grapevine.

The one downside to this route is that you’ll need to call your engineer back the moment you upgrade equipment or rearrange your room. Depending on your habits that might be once every few years, which is fine, right up to every few weeks, which could get expensive.

I spent a while playing with REW for Roon with some good results, and a UMIK mic isn’t expensive. I certainly learnt a lot and got the DIY confidence to go it alone. In then end I bought a miniDSP Dirac box as I wanted room correction for the TV and the guest Bluetooth feed that bypasses Roon. While the Dirac box isn’t plug and play simple, it’s not far off. The results are pretty good.

That said I like @Chrislayeruk’s idea of passing some work to folk who’ve been left without it…

There are people who do professional measurements and corrections, but they mostly works for studios and will cost a fair chunk of money. And as noted, as soon as you make some changes you need employ that guy again.

I think there are a couple of better options for the typical listening room, if you want to take the next step up from a guide like this:

1. Buy a professional and easy-to-use solution like Dirac
  2. The best option in my opinion: do sweep measurements and send to homeaudiofidelity, it will cost a little but much cheaper than what a professional guy visiting you will cost. And the results are very good.

If I built a special room for HiFi (like a studio or a very good listening room), I would consider a professional guy though, but then we are talking of a whole lot of more money in total probably way more than $10k).

Yeah I just came across homeaudiofidelity - he’s currently on vacations but will look forward to linking in when he gets back.

Thank you @Magnus for this great guide. I have have recently received a UMIK-1 so I can now dive into the world of REW with Roon as well. Although I am very curious about the results, it is quite complex stuff for a newbie to room correction. So thank you for creating this guide!

Hi @Magnus I am one of those folks who offers professional measurements and corrections remotely, both for studios and HiFi:

https://accuratesound.ca

The cost is well under $1k and that gets you up to 6 correction filter sets. Most folks don’t hit the limit and come back months later for another set if they happen to change something material, free of charge. If one goes past the limit of 6 filter sets, then it is a nominal fee, not the full charge.

I only use commercial DSP software like Acourate and Audiolense in which I have provided walkthroughs and a book on the how to use step by step if folks are so inclined. Or can call me for the service.

How can I do it remotely? If folks are after accurate sound, there is an “ideal” response, both in the frequency and time domain as discussed in this article on “What is Accurate Sound.”

Keep up the great work!

Kind regards,
Mitch

1 Like

Thank you so very much for this terrific guide. I got so inspired that I ordered a measuring mike, and am looking forward to trying this out next weekend.

One question please, if I may. On Step 14, is the sample rate number sacrosanct for some reason, or is this a variable?Also, I am not exactly sure what you mean by “each frequency.” What exactly do I do at this step, after doing all of the above, please? This is the only step that is not clear to this ignoramus after all the wonderful descriptions earlier.

Thank you!

It should match the music, if not than Roon will perform internal re-sampling oif the convolution file.

But the GUI has changed since I wrote the guide, it looks like this now and you can use these values (except for input):

This will create 4 .wav files with the sample rate in the file name, zip them together and use from Roon and then Roon will select the best one depending on input sample rate.

1 Like

Thank you so very much! Greatly appreciated. Just one more thing, please. Is there any reason you have not selected the other, higher sample rates, especially given that some of Tidal’s offerings are in those neighborhoods?

For MQA, the last unfold is done in the DAC, so I don’t think there will ever be need for higher than 96 khz from Tidal even if you let Roon do the first unfold. But feel free to select and use 176 and 192 as well just to be sure.

Oh thank you again! I look forward to trying this all out next week. Many thanks for your help!

I noticed this change in REW as well. It works perfectly as you describe it.

A stupid question, how you can test the result again after applying the EQ at Roon by REW?

Save the Pink PN sound to a file from the generator window, move the saved file (which should be a .wav) to your music directory, find in in Roon and play it with the room correction in effect. You will now be able to measure the sound with the exact same signal chain as when you listen to music.

Of course, you can use Roon this way to play the Pink PN sound before correction as well, in step 6 in the guide. Just add a “Procedural EQ” with a mixer to be able to mute one channel (or simply remove one XLR or speaker cable).

Thank you. Yes, I used this way to measure my setting finally. However, it seems it is not easy to apply a good EQ.

No, some experimentation is usually needed, and prefer less corrections than more. But especially stay away from high Q values (3 or higher) at higher frequencies.

Hi Magnus, thanks for this guide. Very helpful: it helped me to start using REW (after several failed tries in the past).
I am new to REW, and Roon (still in evaluation period…)
As a beginner, I am blocked in point 16.a though: How can I “add the filters manually in Roon PEQ” please?
I can see no button in the Parametric EQ settings that would allow me to do so…

Could please explain me a little more about that step please?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

I suggest skipping 16 for now, its not important and I am not even sure its a good step. Even if you “fine tune” with PEQ, you get the drawback of adding more DSP. You will most likely need to add headroom or auto-leveling though (step 17).

Hi Maguns ,
How should I best set T60 range in the Resonances? Is shorter time better?
Regards
Peter

Its related to reverberation but I don’t know exactly what that window does, I never used it. I would guess its related to the window above which is a simulation for room nodes.