A legit discussion that shouldn't be ignored

For best results, dedicated server and ethernet. IMHO.

Sure wish I felt that way! Many problems and less music. I am not a genius when it comes to digital but have a basic concept. The set up skills and tweaking needed are not what i was expecting. Roon just plain baffles me with constant crashes, losing connection and an interface that leave much to be desired IMO. But each to his or her own. And to all you experts out there. Please donā€™t flame me just because its not working for me and Iā€™m not, nor do I want to be a Roon pro. Just want to listen to my music which was for me, a lot easier with LMS.

1 Like

Have you raised support threads with these issues?

I tend to agree . Iā€™m using roon on a one year subscription and unless I win the lottery I wouldnā€™t go for the lifetime sign up .
You need to be a bloody IT guru to get the feature rich thingo to work properly!
What amazes me is the high end manufacturers are being bluffed with this roon ready hype . As one subscriber said why am I paying so much money to play my own music ?

Too funny. I know several techno-idiots that are using Roon with multiple zones. They had no issues to speak of setting things up. I helped them out a bit after the fact but it was with some less used features.

4 Likes

As I see it, most of the problems people have are network related and people not following best practices guidelines. Add to that DIY solutions when people donā€™t understand what they are doing very well.
I remember when people had to learn how to program video recorders and many people never managed to crack that nut at all. The advanced features of Roon, similarly require a little study to understand, but once you know the method itā€™s just simple.
Meridian audio had similar issues, you could do anything with it but you had to configure things and understand the ā€˜Meridian Wayā€™. The forums are packed with examples of frustrated users as they take the journey to understanding, having bought pre owned kit. An other way is to pay a dealer (in the cost of equipment) to do this for you. Thatā€™s their job.

Just rambling hereā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

Because we are too lazy and uneducated to ā€œconnect the dotsā€ and scan covers and inserts and google while we listen etc! :smiley:
If you are only interested in ā€œplaying your own musicā€, and dont care about the augmented metadata, Roon is not what you want.

I can definently say that for me, Roon has been $500 much better spent than on a different USB cable!

7 Likes

I can certainly see why you are saying that. The clumsy setup procedures must be one of the biggest hurdles to get on board.

Other software just works. Not blaming your setup, your router, your switch, your WIFI your ISP or anybody else in the world if things dont work. Solid software can cope with those eventualities and doesnt only work in an ā€œidealisedā€ world.

I still dont get why Roon needs to shuffle endless amounts of data thru the network even once all your library is setop and loaded. Once all the compositions, the artists, the bios, the pictures are there, the job is done.

Do you like anything about the Roon software?

2 Likes

Users who have decided they no longer wish to see posts from particular other users may find the Ignore feature of interest. You can find it by clicking your avatar at the top right, the account name at the left and then under Preferences/Notifications/Users.

5 Likes

Its indeed very useful!

Are you talking to @Speed_Racer or @bbrip? :laughing:

1 Like

Everyone really. Itā€™s a feature that could save a lot of moderation.

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I have zero problems with Roon and consider it to be one of the best investments Iā€™ve ever made in the home entertainment space. Iā€™m running a NUC, and have several endpoints, all of which work flawlessly.

I use it every day when Iā€™m working at home, and it helps keep me sane during these odd times.

5 Likes

Why should a person get a refund on a lifetime subscription because they have had playback problems over the last couple of months? How would you calculate the refund when the license is interminable? And how do you determine whether itā€™s really a Roon issue vs some personal OS issue? For all we know, the personā€™s system could be plagued with apps both benign and malicious.

Interesting, I have been using Orbi RBS50 and 2 satellites for 2 years now. Never have a problem with updates etc. Itā€™s so stable I actually run my CORE wired to one satellite then backhaul over wifi to the base station. I enjoy the set and forget approach and the fantastic coverage all over my home.

Much like Marmite (UK only) the world seems to be divided into two camps. Those that have found the Roon experience seamless and those that have had nothing but trouble.

Whilst Iā€™m am very comfortable around tech Iā€™ve not needed to call on any of my skills. Roon was one of the easiest things Iā€™ve ever set up. Just worked. Even installing ROCK on a MOCK system was so straightforward. Ditto Ropieee and getting that set up with my DAC as an endpoint. Everything just installed and worked.

The only thing I struggled with a bit was getting HQPlayer integrated.

That said I can fully understand how frustrating it must be if it doesnā€™t just work. Roon though isnā€™t alone on this. I know for example thereā€™s a significant minority of Naim users who have real difficulties get their streamer to work and the Naim ecosystem is quite fussy about how things are networked too. Communication between the app and streamer is very dependent on a very high signal strength between app device and router in particular; much more so than Roon

The cost is a separate issue and I guess the question is whether 14 days is quite long enough to fully appraise something as potentially complicated as Roon. I think 30 days would be better - gives people a proper length of time to either iron out the issues or decide its not for them. If youā€™ve tried for 30 days to get something working and still decide to pay for it then thatā€™s buyer beware.

3 Likes

I am almost old enough to admit I know what this is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_recorder_scheduling_code

1 Like

14 days is long enough if youā€™ve planned your install and set-up ahead of activating. I think too many people activate their trial then come here or open the KB to only then realize they have no idea how to make the thing generate sound. At that point its well beyond the 14 days to both decide on how youā€™re going to use Roon and decide if you like the interface. Though price alone should encourage people to read the docs and make some of these decisions before installing.

Hence my suggestion for 30 days :smiley: Means no one, regardless of how prepared they were, can have any argument about whether it is fit for purpose.

3 Likes