A legit discussion that shouldn't be ignored

My Ex company wouldn’t move SQL Server version until the first Service Pack was released !!

Conservative but safe :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@CrystalGipsy According to Danny…

My interpretation of the “1-release” Danny is referring to is Version 1.7 (Build 537). Any updates to the Build, latest being 571, cannot be uploaded till a new version is released. Therefore you are required to upgrade via the roonlabs @ Roon - Downloads. It would be helpful if that information was provided when an update thread is opened to announce it’s availability instead of stating “All apps will be automatically updated.”

I think @danny doesn’t refer to any particular release, but wants to point out that the app stores only will offer just one and only one release at any time. So, having upgraded your iOS or Android release on the app store, you can’t go to the app store and try to roll back to a previous version, as there won’t be any previous version offered on the app store. This is his point as I understand it. Of course, the new build releases are being offered on the app stores… Install them and take into account you can’t go back. And as this is the same policy for every software app offered on the app stores, I think that this should be self-evident for all of us who use an iOS or Android device.

1 Like

@Andreas_Philipp1 I have been on the Amazon App store numerous times, checking to see if there is an update via my roon remote (i.e., Amazon Fire HD 10) and my pc’s browser. The only roon remote app available is Version 1.7 (Build 537). Are you suggesting that I uninstall the Amazon app I currently have installed (Version 1.7 [Build 537]) and the 571 Build will somehow then become available via the “app stores?”

No. I don’t suggest anything. I don’t know anything about the Amazon app store. @danny was talking about iOS and Android… I don’t know how Amazon Fire devices are being updated, and if Roon publishes their releases on the Amazon app store.

I was trying to make you understand what was Danny’s point. There was discussion on this thread about rolling back to a previous Roon release, after updating the control devices. @danny pointed out that this would not be possible, because of Google’s and Apple’s app store policy.

If you need support with your Amazon device, I would suggest you open a new topic on the Support category of the forum. Certainly somebody will help you.

FWIW, I just looked at the Amazon site and there appears to have been a update published today… Maybe you should check again if they now have the most recent build available.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 08.35.47

1 Like

Okay, but confusing as it may be, Amazon uses Android technology for its apps. Read where some folks have installed Google Play to access their Android apps. But I have not elected to experiment with that option.

But yes, I submitted a support ticket yesterday morning concerning my inability to successfully install the Android (APK) file offered on roonlabs’ remote download page which another contributor shared with me in a previous post in this thread. Someone else chimed in that they were able to install it successfully. So hopefully I can get some advise from support when they can. Thanks.

Appreciate the heads up. Did not check the site this morning as I was preparing to leave for work. Will have to check it out when I return home tonight. Thanks!

As a very satisfied Roon user for over 2 years, a person who knows nothing about digital techniology primarily because I was a latecomer to all of this, but someone who loves listening to music in its best presentation, I have some difificuly understanding some of the irate discussion taking place here. I guess that much of it reflects selection bias in the sense that many users, quite knowledgable in this matters, have encountered unresolved difificulties which have produced frustration and a feeling of being let down. I cannot and do not say they are wrong. What I wish to record, however, is that there is nowhere on this site to leave a compliment, a good story, a recitation of complete satisfaction and gratitude for the improvement that Roon has brought to my listening experience and to express my thanks to these good people for their continued dedication to this product and its improvement. Negative feedback is important, however, as it reveals bugs and needs that remain unaddressed. But so is support for what has been accomplished Just my view, and it’s personal to me, but I offer it up for your consideration.

Dave

39 Likes

Excellent. I agree 100 percent.

2 Likes

My Fire 10’s as of writing this post - Those with the Play Store (installed via Play Store) updated. Those without the Play Store are still waiting for 1) Roon to send the new build to Amazon or 2) Amazon is comically slow at releasing updates after receiving them.

I really hope it is 2 and Roon has not forgot about us stock Amazon Fire users. I could install the APK but that defeats the purpose of the App Manager keeping me out of the software update hobby :wink:

You don’t have to update, you don’t have to allow upgrades or any of that nonsense.

If you buy a lifetime membership, as I have, all it means is that you can continue to use the software and it will continue to work as long as Roon stays in business.

And that’s what the cost is for - to help them stay in business, although I understand from any business model the annual subscription would be better from a revenue standpoint.

If someone is unhappy with having bought a lifetime subscription and then later has buyer remorse then I’m here to tell you and tell them “Suck it up, buttercup”.

We’re all adults here, this isn’t the Disney forum. If you bought something and then decided you didn’t like it then live with your decision.

3 Likes

Good to know your Fire tablet was finally updated to the latest version! All’s well that ends well…

1 Like

All software is doomed from constant updating. They should hire an external that can fix the problem.

@Andreas_Philipp1 Must admit I was quite confused about how my particular roon remote was suppose to be upgraded. In hindsight, some of the explanations by you and others make a lot more sense now that I know app stores will eventually upload the latest update at its own timely discretion, not roon’s. My apologies to those who I incorrectly questioned their constructive comments concerning this specific subject matter.

Also, have a little better understanding of why roon requires everyone to eventually upgrade in order to utilize all of its core features. But I still sympathize with those who would prefer to keep a certain software version/build that they are happy with and prefer to opt out of any future updates as long as they are not experiencing any bugs/issues.

1 Like

@jb76,

Let’s start with Apple, since they are the most restrictive:

1. Apple controls the distribution of “apps” on their operating system, iOS, via their “app store”.
  2. Apple allows companies (like Roon) to send them 1 version for release to the public. If we send them a second version, it replaces the previous version. Only 1 version is ever available for device owners to download.
  3. Apple does not allow phone/tablet owners to go back and revert to older versions.
  4. Apple does not allow phone/tablet owners to install apps from other sources besides their app store.
  5. After submitting software to Apple, there is an approval process that can take some number of days. If we pass their approval, then we can release the software to the public. That release can take a few hours if we are lucky, or a few days if we are unlucky. Also, where it is released is unpredictable. It could be available in Europe first, then the US, or the other way around.

Google and Apple are similar, except side loading in a non-standard way is possible. That’s why we distribute the APK. However, updates don’t work in that situation.

3 Likes

Agreed that it is/was nice… but cloud services and app store distribution make this expectation a relic of the past.

2 Likes

My Fire 10 “Amazon only” updated sometime late this afternoon so all App stores appear to be populated now.

I have no problems with roon at all you cant please everyone but i hope it continues for a long time

8 Likes

I don’t have problems at the moment!

1 Like

In my case, the one time I had a problem, the problem was my network and my Orbi devices which updated their firmware and became practically unusable. Lesson, don’t buy Orbi devices for your network. I switched to a Ubiquiti system and it has been solid ever since.

1 Like