A legit discussion that shouldn't be ignored

As a QNAP core user, along with others, I think this statement is not backed up by fact. At best it is a failure to document, in the release notes, the new authentication mode - which is just plain lazy or at worst there was no testing done on a QNAP core.

We hear a lot about beta-testers but they aren’t maybe adding the value that the whole Roon user base needs them too.

If the same beta testers are doing the beta testing for too long, they get blind.

I am sometimes wondering over super obvious glitches like not observing the „allow for more albums“ setting on iPad for that new „recent activity“ addition.

Cant have been much testing. That one you can see and figure out after 2 minutes.

I was beta-tester in the past for software and can tell you that as a beta-tester you can report all kind of things (errors, glitches, UX issues, …), but you don’t have any direct influence on the software product and/or decision processes of the developing company. If they decide that a product/version/build is good enough then it gets released – left to testers or users, no product/version/build would probably ever been released.
So maybe Roon’s beta-testers didn’t noticed, maybe they did and maybe Roon’s QA should have noticed that, maybe they have? But someone decided that it’s time to release that build now anyway – maybe because delivering the included fixes for TIDAL, Qobuz, … was considered to weigh more than squashing out any minor issues and thus further delaying the release for an unknown amount of time (weeks/months).

1 Like

@BlackJack I allow myself quoting this again. If anything about that is true, then all your comments may be valid but irrelevant. „huge investment“ has no or very little tolerance for slippage.

And yes, I‘ve done beta testing doing one on another project now) and usually I get instant feedback whether my feedback is valid or not.

I think the QNAP issue is pretty un-missable if they had a QNAP Core tester, it is hardly a small glitch or UX issue is it? I used to work for a systems house and wrote test scenarios, so I have some background in this too. Sure it was in the days when there wasn’t new dot releases every few weeks and applications were not tested in the live environment by the paying users! So yes things have changed but that does not excuse laziness or lack of attention does it?

That makes it two material misses in QA despite „huge investment“. That ROI‘s no good.

I just say that it is not upon the testers to decide when/if a product is to be released.

Note: The NAS packages are maintained by a community volunteer AFAIK and I’m thankful for the work he has done for the community. He already released a fixed package for QNAP/Asustor users to fix that issue. This is great work but also indicates that it maybe wasn’t a Roon issue as it could be fixed without a new Roon build.

1 Like

I am well aware that the NAS packages are maintained by a volunteer and I am grateful too. But that hones straight to the point, what better person to be a Beta tester for that function?

I have never said that Beta testers decide when/if a product is to be released, that was not the point I made in my posts at all - please do not join dots that aren’t there. If the code was tested and the issue were raised to Roon QA then why wasn’t their something in the release notes or a post from Roon QA to highlight the issue? Simple point that only Roon can answer, if they choose, if it wasn’t tested then again simple question why; there are enough of us using a QNAP core that could have been approached to test.

So you think that Roon Labs would not release a build with known issues? What are you willing to bet?

Where did I say that?

It was a question not a statement – I take this as a no then.

Do not assume what you do not know. I am perfectly willing to accept that Roon would release with known issues, but as I have said, that wasn’t the point I was making.

I think it is for Roon or Carl, as the person making the assertion, to respond to my question. Unless as a QNAP core person you were the Beta tester?

It depends how you define „issue“. Real issues should indeed be fixed prior to release. Ideally.

Ie. knowingly releasing something you kbow has serious limitations on iPad should NOT happen.

No I’m not.

PS: I’m still trying to figure out what your point is. Sadly I can only see you posting assumptions and questions much as I did too.

Issue: an important topic or problem for debate or discussion.

Sadly everyone seems to have it’s own classification scheme for what is important, unimportant and so on. Roon Labs is doing the classification relevant for Roon – this classification might not always be in line with that of us users though.

Sure you can. I always update my Fire tablet from that link.

@Bill_Janssen I was asking on behalf of someone else who tried and it wouldn’t work. Does the tablet have to be in developer mode?

I think this topic attempts to address issues around Roon’s resources and what can be expected of them:

1 Like

Hmmm, well mine always is, not sure I remember why. Is it because that’s the only way you can access the toggle to make the screen stay on all the time? Anyway, I just download with Silk, and it asks if I want to open it, and I say yes, and it asks if I want to upgrade the existing app, and I say yes, and bingo! It’s done.

I thought it was available in the Amazon App Store these days, did they withdraw it?