A message from the Roon founders

I am more than confused :slight_smile: I have this in my router:

I assume this i needed to use Roon ARC? Or did a miss something?

THX

Torben

There is still the possibility that you want to enable uPnP on the router (for other devices/services in your network), but donā€™t want Roon to configure port forwarding. A simply switch to enable / disable ARC would be nice to have.

4 Likes

If you want to use ARC from outside your LAN, say in the car, you need to tell your router to pass connections from the WAN side of the world through to the port on your Roon Server machine. There are two ways to do that. One is to enable uPnP on your router; we all frown on that, because any other device on your LAN can also then forward ports without you knowing about it. The other is to manually enable port forwarding, as you have done here (I think). So, yes, itā€™s needed to use Roon ARC on the WAN side of the world.

2 Likes

After feeling like an annoying fringe obsessive for years, the new direction reads like a dream. I hope the mandate allows you to take a holistic look at the product experience. I love connecting with my real world collection (~10K?), but Iā€™m ever frustrated connecting with my digital collection (~50K), and itā€™s making me love music less. Far too much to say on the topic (as Iā€™m looking back on a revised product experience I was mocking up in 2020 to solve my frustrations), but I would say listening to music (for me) is the simplest activity, and the experience via Roon should feel like it. Experience first, features second, is my wish.

1 Like

100% thatā€™s the value of folder information - getting personal categorisation data into Roon, with the potential to browse in far better ways than text tree structures, visually, and of course multiple ways of grouping the same music. Folders are simply a way to start, and means to an end (a better one).

That big broad categorisation is necessary to conceptualise what you have, then introduce your more granular groupings (small enough to get your head around and pick from).

Iā€™m looking in front of me, and I can tell you quite accurately where every record I own is. Theyā€™re in groups, and groups inside groups. I can gravitate towards those I feel like (without having an artist/album in mind), and Iā€™ll discover similar others through proximity.

Iā€™ve set up folder structures in similar groupings. Also new/recent/to tidy folders. Colour tags indicate in ā€˜physical collectionā€™ or ā€˜personal encodingā€™. Groups Iā€™d love to browse in Roon without massive setup hurdles. Thereā€™s 5,351 albums in the Independents folder, and I want to start sub-grouping to make it more digestable.

Iā€™ve tried to do similar in Roon using Bookmarks created by Focusing on multiple Storage Folders, but since Roon gets unstable with >25K albums, theyā€™re never all available at one time, so I never use them. And seriously, tags/bookmarks/etc are such a cludge. The emotional disconnect sends me running the other way.

The limitations of folder structures is evident here where all the releases under Techno Labels could also be listed alphabetically as Artists, and some of them also under Singles, either by label or by artist. So I donā€™t want to just replicate or browse my folder structure in Roon.

I want to slice and dice and be at one with my collection, better than real life, better than folders. I donā€™t want to feel like Iā€™ve been dropped in the middle of a vast ocean, where the little I see isnā€™t that interesting, and so I doom scroll.

12 Likes

Beautifully phrased :+1:

I appreciate you.

1 Like

It was bad advice then, and remains so

4 Likes

Nope it does not as explained in the other thread. It turns on remote access by default on all installs, if you have UPnP enabled on your router it will request to the router to open the port just like ARC does. This is how UPnP works, there is no notifications, no accept request. However there is a way to disable remote access in Plexs settings. But if you donā€™t have UPnP on then neither app can open anything or work from outside your home. If you have UPnP enabled on router any app or device can open a port and none will tell you or ask for permission.

Then not sure what this does:

It triggers Plex to try to open and configure a connection!

Isnā€™t that what I was saying?

Seems quite different from Roon (1) doing it all automatically, without any mention whatsoever anywhere and (2) resetting to keep the port open every time any remote is restarted.

Roon has a proven history of mocking some of the very basic and well-established computer concepts and nothing will change that. Just disable UPnP on your router and move onā€¦

3 Likes

Of course, thatā€™s only feasible if you donā€™t need UPnP for anything else.

I did move on. I hadnā€™t posted on this for a week Then someone replied with what looks to be false so I corrected it. Others are also free to move on.

2 Likes

Not false info if you read my post. Itā€™s on by default though with a new install you have to turn it off, but yes a switch in Roon would be good. But they essentially work the same and it will open a port without asking you from the off in Plex. I just did a new install last week as moved server and itā€™s turned on.

1 Like

This would all be fixed if there was an ARC ON/OFF slider switch, as has been requested many times. The port 0 thing doesnā€™t stick, and it feels like itā€™s exploiting a ā€œbugā€ rather than providing a ā€œfeatureā€.

1 Like

Or have all the ARC settings on ARC itself so those not wanting ARC donā€™t even need to worry about it.

3 Likes

Sounds very inspiring! Glad to se that the platform will live to many years

Thank you for your work and for helping discover new music with Roon, but when will you be able to listen to DSD 512 without resampling to 256 ?

@enno, thank you. In broadcasting, we call this ā€œsuper-serving the P1ā€™sā€ā€¦being especially attentive to the 20% of the listeners that drive 80% of your quarter-hours listened.

I applaud you.

How music collectors/listeners (not librarians) group their music ā€¦

Loose personal categories are how we make sense of what we have, and itā€™s the fundamental way to divide up large collections and make them accessible. Every record shops does it. They arenā€™t my ā€˜tagsā€™ or my ā€˜bookmarksā€™ - this is tech speak and stretched metaphors - they are my ā€˜groupingsā€™ or my ā€˜categoriesā€™. Without them it never feels like my collection.

Using existing folder structures to do the grunt work getting these groupings into Roon, then making them fundamental to the browsing experience, would transform Roon. Making it easy to manipulate them once in Roon - bulk editing and sub-grouping - would take it to the next level. Roon genre info and focus functionality would become powerful methods of building and managing our groupings - ā€˜shapingā€™ our collections (such an apt word @enno).

For the core audience, the curators, our groupings are core to our experience of engaging with our music.

3 Likes