A message from the Roon founders

Another aspect that’s completely irrelevant to the topic of casual listening.

Alright gentlemen, let’s keep on topic, which is reaction to the Roon founders’ message, and not go down the rabbit hole of what constitutes a casual listener. Thank you.

8 Likes

I am happy to see this message today. Not only for the reversal of the internet requirement but the refocus on those with local libraries. :grinning:

3 Likes

I really like what Roon brings to the table, and improvements to search capabilities and cataloguing of music will be welcome, but I hope that it continues to strive to produce the very best sound quality one can get out of this type of service. “How it sounds” will always be paramount to me.

3 Likes

The local pawn shop in the town where I am this week offered me 2500 albums for US$1000.00. Maybe I should buy them to go with my 47 local tracks. I probably would if I had somewhere to put them and my wife would not vehemently object.

I doubt that this in the announcement …

We’re committed to realigning with our core audience and focusing on the needs of music lovers and audio enthusiasts.

… signifies that they won’t care about sound quality.

2 Likes

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

4 Likes

Exactly. I meant it doesn’t and also didn’t know why @Peter_Bowen was concerned about that.

I guess my formatting wasn’t clear and I should have added “…” after “I doubt that…” and before “… signifies”

Edited in the original post to hopefully avoid confusion

2 Likes

Do I need lifetime, or would monthly work? I’m thinking this thread will die out before I need to renew.

1 Like

Ah, my bad. I read “I doubt that” as a comment on the first quote, and “signifies that …” as a comment on the second. It didn’t sound like the sort of thing you would say :slight_smile:

More thoughts on Jim Austin’s leadership topic:

The box set problem also includes a cover art problem. Current online streaming standards use single-image cover art. In my library, I had to do some image editing with, for example, the Miles Davis mono box set to distinguish it from single CD releases:

I don’t think that this thread is a good place to get into fine details about a planned innovation. My point is: dealing with box sets takes Roon to a larger leadership question: can’t industry standards be rewritten?

A “brave decision” by Roon? This sounds more like a forced mandate from Harman (or Samsung). See Danny’s post:

In cheering this news, beware what you wish for, folks. The possibility that Roon no longer would hold the steering wheel had raised significant concerns here when the acquisition was announced several months ago. If Harman (or Samsung) now is dictating the agenda, not all future mandates may suit your preferences, and some could be catastrophic changes.

AJ

4 Likes

It was misleading. I edited it to hopefully make my intent clearer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed - why not open a topic in the Feature Suggestions category for your thoughts?

I am cynical when a company is taken over by a large one.

However, I am very with Roon just as it is. I couldn’t get better sound. I have a lifetime sub. As long as I get same sound quality and the same ability to store all my music on the 4tb SSd that I do, I won’t worry. Not sure why people keep mentioning search. When I want and. artist or record it never fails to find it, either in my library or on Qobuz.

What am I missing with all these concerns? Are they really likely to downgrade the sound quality because of the take over?

As for the internet I am lucky enough to have a 1Gig. Everything is connected thru ethernet so I have a feeling I couldn’t use Roon without a connection anyway. I am not up on this so expect I am not understanding.

I have my Roon Server on my MBPro. Plugged into same MBP is a 4tb ext SSD where my music is and Ron knows this. The MBP is connected with ethernet, the Auralic Alatair is also connected via ethernet and the USB from it is connect to a micro rendu. I have RCAs connecting Altair to AVR. This all implies to me that without the 'net connection, I am stuffed.

What on earth do they mean about keeping my music in their core? This won’t be free will it? Why can it not just stay as it is.

Sometimes ‘if it works, don’t fix it’ is good to abide by.

This Altair forced me to choose between buying something that was MQA and also NAA or just using Roon and forgetting about MQA and HQP and that is what I have done.

@Geoff_Coupe

I shall. Let me consider how to frame it.

Perhaps this thread is suitable for the topic of leadership; what do you think?

It seems to me that the big news is the new strategic direction of Roon is intended to be in our interest in ways and in emphasis not there before. It’s less about eyeballs and more about sound, software and service quality. Thanks Roon and Harman.

2 Likes

It would seem to me that Harman’s agenda suits me a bit better than (presumably only some of) Roon’s Founders.

We’ve clearly been told to suck up the internet always on and very little has been done on items such as box sets and playlists event though we were asked years ago for thoughts on these areas. It even appears folder view is on the agenda which was ALWAYS an absolute no go area for Roon.We have been told lately that these expecting Roon to be a library management tool were on the wrong train (more or less). I have no issues with any of these strategies and the am now open to the possibility that Harman’s views might fit in more with what I thought I was buying into in 2016.

It appears that Harman have looked at what sets Roon apart and what their most ardent “supporters” want, need and expect and decided to refine and improve what is there rather than head for some futuristic place that Danny and a few others knew about but was a mystery to regular users and not a destination that we necessarily thought we were heading when we jumped on the great ship Roon.

.sjb

17 Likes

Not sure how you get this from an announcement stating that a permanent online connection will NOT be required anymore.

Maybe the misunderstanding is here:

Up to Roon 1.8, you could play your local files and use Roon without an internet connection for up to 30 days. This changed with Roon 2.0, and this decision was now reversed so that this is possible again. Obviously you can’t stream online without internet, but people were annoyed by not being able to play their local files if their internet dropped for a few hours or days.

What do YOU mean? The only occurrence of the word “core” in the announcement is

At Harman, we’ve been given a mandate to reconnect with our core audience.

and

We’re committed to realigning with our core audience and focusing on the needs of music lovers and audio enthusiasts.

I took a scan of the article from my copy of Stereophile. :smiley:

9 Likes