A message from the Roon founders

I agree.

An important byproduct of joining Harman is the potential for new staff through investment from the new parent company.

1 Like

No horsetrailer?

Danny at one point said that implementing folder browsing would be trivial. Not being a developer I have nothing to add to this part of the debate other than referencing what Danny said. I suppose it can be implemented in multiple ways, some simpler than others.

(I would have little need to use it, but I still think it needs to be in any product on a computer that uses files on a computer, period. Itā€™s gotta be really frustrating to those whose libraries arenā€™t amenable to metadata organization alone. I didnā€™t get upset when ARC was released even though I wouldnā€™t use it, and Iā€™m not going to get all upset if folder browsing is implemented even if I wonā€™t really use it. Plus it will make boxed sets more accessible until Roon is able to address that issue specifically.)

Just in general, I am happy to see that Roon is at least now paying lip service (and hopefully more) to going back to GUI and server functionality and reliability. The product needs that TLC and the current release is a good start. And nice to see reversion on some of their missteps, whether forced by Harman or not.

2 Likes

Yes, implementing it would be trivial. Foreseeing all the ways it might end up limiting more advanced library management in the future is the difficult part and the other half of what Danny said IIRC. (Edit: not quite - my interpretation of the rather terse reasoning)

Edit: The post in question:

2 Likes

Hi Enno, thanks for sharing. If I can share my expectations, I would choose all Samsung smartphones to come with Roon and ARC apps, a trail-in period included, AND internal electronics allowing highres going out of the phone in all its glory (not resampling to 48k). On top, a nice internal DAC would be amazing. Crazy if the smartphone could include Chromecast audio and Roon could be compatible with it.
H.

The apps are two clicks and one search away in the Play store - less clicks than it takes to navigate from the playbar in Roon back to the album view of what one is currently playing. Some may see this as yet more Samsung bloatware if included. Smartphone manufacturers are mostly focused on camera tech these days so I donā€™t see anyone paying a premium for better audio internals except for a few headphone enthusiasts. And remember, the phone is just a control point - without a server setup thereā€™s no Roon to play. How many are going to do this because they happen to have an app come with the phone? I could be wrong though, and have been in the past.

1 Like
2 Likes

I think Harman are on the right track redirecting Roon back to the audiophile enthusiast vs trying to target it as lifestyle product for all. Just too many barriers to entrance unless one is fully committed. Iā€™m postulating that Harman may have seen too many resources dedicated to ARC for what turned out to be a small(ish) amount of users, and that it wasnā€™t bringing in new users as perhaps expected. Again, that need to set up a server is always going to be a stumbling block for the younger mobile crowd or the less than tech savvy.

3 Likes

You guys ROCK!

This is a good point. I donā€™t have this problem but I understand that itā€™s a real and painful issue for some people. Iā€™m not sure file/folder browsing is the only solution but itā€™s certainly a solution.

The post you referenced is thought-provoking because of both its implications for the product and for how it illustrates that Roon, or at least Danny, has a deep commitment to a metadata-driven product.

ā€œā€¦never happenā€¦ā€ is a strong statement and one that is no longer true. This canā€™t be an easy moment for Roon.

1 Like

Itā€™s difficult, I know it too well as mentioned. Customers keep asking for something to work around some issue for which you have an idea what the right solution would be (e.g., perfect metadata in this case) but you canā€™t deliver it right now. The workaround, e.g., folder browsing, would help them right now. But you also know that after 10 years of applying manual workarounds, users will have tens of thousands of peculiar manual solutions, and every time you make large changes towards ā€žthe right wayā€œ you risk breaking them.

Not an easy decision either way.

3 Likes

Can you tell me what offline listening means? Iā€™m assuming that the Roon server and storage of files have to be on the same network

It means that Roon 2.0, until now, did not work if your internet connection was down, even though your LAN was just fine and all you wanted to listen to were your local files on your Nucleus, NAS, or similar.

2 Likes

Interesting; thanks. Iā€™m finding that thereā€™s less delay now clicking play and the track starting. Am i imagining things?

Thank you Roon Labs and to all the staff. From the beginning in 2019 Roon has provided me with what I wanted, easily accessible quality music playback for every room in my home and other spaces on our property. My only concern over the years was the loss of offline use but mine continued to work after that for the one 4 hour internet outage that did occur. Happy to know that is back in a supported capacity. Looking forward to what is to come our way.

Hoping to see my Denon receiver become Roon Ready, something that is apparently in the works.

1 Like

Some people commented on this 2 weeks ago, and I noticed as well although it was never slow for me:

And maybe the new update has brought additional improvements, who knows

thanks for replying

1 Like

Itā€™s similar to a Windows file explorer or Macā€™s finder but in this case integrated into Roon and specifically designed to browse your music collection via the underlying file structure.

1 Like

Interesting. I guess there can be multiple ways to look at that.

All I was really thinking would be that Roon would have some button with a synonym for ā€œopen via file pathā€ and then it would just open a window similar to how every other application opens a file (for which there is precedent in Roon since you have to use file path navigation for backups and storage locations). Then you navigate to a music file and it plays (or is added to queue, whatever). I suppose that could include a way to play a whole folder since that would be an album.

I agree there could be all kinds of enhancements. The file path would presumably be from the server not from a remote. Adding the ability to use the file path from a remote would mean the remote software would have to stream to the server and then back to the endpoint - that is where complexity comes in. But unneeded in my view - the point really is only about being able to find and play something without having to use the metadata route when it doesnā€™t find what you are looking for.