A modest proposal for Roon Support

Apple has excellent support, featuring live agents via chat or phone

For this, one pays a premium by way of apple care

Why not institute the same for Roon @danny ?

That makes sense for ā€œpay to ownā€ something and then offering extra warranty. For most people, Roon is subscription based, so the warranty and support is renewed together with the subscription.

This is specifically about Nucleus support I presume. So not about ā€˜most peopleā€™ but about those who paid a premium for Nucleus hardware.
The problem here is all of that stuff Roon doesnā€™t support but many of us do.
Apple care looks after the hardware only. In Roon the issue is rarely the hardware but the stuff we do around the hardware.

Thereā€™s a live agent to speak to when my cable TV and internet go down. Not here at Roon, for which Iā€™d be prepared to pay a premium as for Apple care cc @danny

My suggestion is for Roon in general. Apple care applies to any problem I have while using their hardware. If I were advising @danny, Iā€™d be advising him to keep an eye or two open on what Apple is up to in music

Yes we get that Roon should adopt all things apple

I kind of get what you are after. But I can also see why it would be hard to do. The cross platform nature of the product would be hardest. Nucleus maybe. Everyone else? It would be very hard to do well!. And impossible to do cost effectively for a relatively small company.

Itā€™s an interesting idea. This type of thing is common in B2B SaaSā€¦ but they arenā€™t charging $10-$20/mo. My experience has been that it is usually about 100x before you start getting humans to talk to you post-sale.

For some of the B2B SaaS companies that have scale, it can be as low as 10x. Quickbooks Online comes to mind, where I canā€™t get a person on the phone for less than $200/mo (official price, but they do have deals all the time on pricing).

In the B2C world, this generally happens with a scale we lack. For example, I pay for Apple Care and have been for as long as I can remember (for computers, not phones). Iā€™ve never once called them.

What premium would you pay? Remember, the person talking to you canā€™t change anything if things go down, just like the Cable TV support person ā€“ nor can this person help you with any third party gear or software, just like Apple and Cable TV companies.

2 Likes

Good points. I always buy apple care and have used it 4-5 times in the past 10 years. Cable/internet more often in the 90s when it was just starting out here. Me Iā€™d be ready to pay a hefty fee for in person Roon support, because I think Roon is great and Iā€™m in a foul mood when itā€™s not working perfectly!

in person??? like someone comes to your home?

Ha! Chat or phone work just fine!

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.