A More Convenient Way to Exit ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive Mode

Dear Roon team,

I am a dedicated Roon user on PC, and I often listen to music through Roon during my free time at work. However, the biggest issue I am currently facing is the lack of a convenient way to exit ASIO and WASAPI exclusive mode. Especially now, when I close the Roon program, it doesn’t completely quit but instead hides in the taskbar. If I try to play audio through other software, such as playing videos in a browser or using other music software, it causes serious conflicts. Even if I completely quit Roon, the issue persists. Therefore, I suggest adding a feature, such as a button to release Roon’s exclusive mode. In my understanding, this could be a stop button, rather than the current pause button (because the current pause button only pauses the music, but doesn’t exit the ASIO and WASAPI exclusive mode). With such a button, I could temporarily stop Roon’s audio exclusivity when needed, allowing me to perform other tasks like watching YouTube videos. Once I’m done, I could quickly return to Roon and continue listening to music, instead of the current situation where I need to completely close Roon (including exiting from the taskbar), do other things, and then reopen Roon again when I want to listen to music.

Just another user here, suggesting to look in Settings, Keyboard shortcuts, and find you can enter
ctrl T
to STOP replay in Roon.

Thank you for the reply, brother. I tried your method, but it didn’t solve my problem. Pressing Ctrl+T just pauses the music (like the pause button on the main interface) and does not completely stop the music and exit the ASIO/WASAPI exclusive mode.

I want to clarify. When you start Roon you are actually starting two separate programs. The Roon graphic user interface and the Roon Server. Closing the graphic version of Roon does NOT stop the server portion. To close the Server portion, you need to go to the taskbar notification, right click and select Quit.

Note, that if you do that first, it will close both.

1 Like

Here, it does Stop music replay and even closes the endpoint connection, as the keyboard shortcut suggests …

… which demonstrably shows in following screenshots when checking an endpoint’s device status in RPi OS.

See RUNNING status when replay is active or just paused …

… and closed when stopped.

My SMSL M300MkII DAC, using either ASIO or WASAPI in exclusive mode via USB from my Windows Roon server, is released and does play from any application other than Roon, when I stop but not when I pause in Roon - I don’t even need to close Roon Remote and Server.

That said, it seems like there’s some other factor involved causing different behavior in your case, so you should consider opening a support ticket, while offering a complete and detailed system description.

1 Like

Oh man, thanks. Today I tried it in my office. CTRL+T did work. The exclusive mode exited perfectly. Maybe there’s something wrong at my home.

A long click or press on the pause button should also stop rather than pause.

1 Like

The long press worked perfectly. I have been using Roon for at least 1 year. I didn’t know about these features at all. Thanks for the help.