About Nucleus+ USB network adapter

Hello.Nucleus+ What are the benefits of connecting to the network with both a network cable connection and the usb network adapter?

None. What USB network adapter? The USB socket in the Nucleus is not a network adapter, it’s just a USB connector and intended primarily for connecting a USB DAC, an external hard disk drive, or a CD drive.

You could connect a USB network adapter, but the Nucleus has an Ethernet port anyway and it is not going to improve anything.

(If you saw this mentioned in the Nucleus manual, I don’t know why they mention it. It is possible but pointless)

1 Like

Being a closed system, I’m not even sure it will recognize a USB network adapter. I seem to remember someone tried this with ROCK (which is basically the same thing) and it didn’t work.

Yes it does I used one for quite sometime on ROCK just a cheap one off Amazon as well, so won’t be any different on Nucleus. Used it as my Ethernet port was faulty at the time. It was also mentioned by Danny that it does when some where asking about Ethernet bridging on the Nucleus.

It will need to be something that Linux works with but it says so in the manual

• USB 3.0 ports (2)
    Can be used for connecting:

1. USB storage drive

2. USB audio device

3. USB network adapter

4. USB CD ripper

1 Like

I would always use a dedicated network port where available.

Particularly if you are connected to a dac by USB. I wouldn’t want to share resources on USB bus.

Andrew

1 Like

I think USB 3 has enough bandwidth. My laptop has a 1G Ethernet port, but I use a 2.5G USB adapter, since I back up my files regularly on it. The external USB disc enclosure is also connected to USB, and it’s still about twice as fast to transfer files over network compared to the built-in port. If you don’t transfer files though, you don’t need that speed.

Made zero difference at all as I was using my RME via USB also and a HDD and DAC all using USB.