Accessing Nucleus from QNAP NAS (HS-251)

Hello All,

I want to preface this by saying that I am not a software engineer. I do understand many technical things but… I have also spent a lot of time researching this on this and other forums.

My goal is to backup the 8TB SSD (my music library) in my Nucleus to my NAS and to create a schedule where the NAS synchronizes with the Nucleus to grab any new files I have put there.

I have spent many hours trying to remote mount my Nucleus to my QNAP HS-251 NAS. No matter what I do, I cannot get the NAS to see the Nucleus. I can mount the QNAP and my Mac.

I have tried SMB, FTP and maybe other things (Ive been at it so long I cant remember). I have looked at rsync to no avail.

One idea I have is that my NAS is too old to run the apps I need to use. But that’s probably just my techno-nerd-buy-the-latest voice talking.

@Danny You started a thread about backing up the music library functionality in Roon. This is exactly the use case I am trying for. The NAS is backed up to Idrive so I also have a backup in the cloud.

Any ideas?

Michael

Th storage location is exposed on the Nucleus. I used my ReadyNas standard backup software and it worked. I did use the devices IP address, and told the backup software to use windows/Nas settings.

Thanks Rugby.

I have found several posts echoing yours so I feel it must be possible.

That said, I have tried the IP address. What protocol/method are you using (SMB, FTP, ???).

Michael

My NAS’ app doesn’t specify but I assume smb, it just says Windows/NAS as the transfer protocol.

I am starting to think that it really is my old NAS. That ih doesn’t support the firmware I need to do this. Don’t know how to make sure though.

I still need software that syncs the nucleus to the Mac - rsync or carbon copy cloner?

Its a 5TB backup. This seems like a lot of back and forth bt perhaps its the best that can be done.

Theoretically, I don’t have a ROCK or Nucleus to test with, HBS 3 should allow you to do what you want.

Yes, I have been trying HBS3 but it cant see the drive either. I was thinking that perhaps it needed the drive to be remote mounted first…and I cant figure out how to do that.

Did you review the documentation on Nucleus Internal Storage?

SMB Connection (Alternate Option)

You can copy music to this drive by visiting the network share:

From a Mac

1. Open Finder

2. Press Command + K

3. Enter smb://NUCLEUS/Data/Storage/InternalStorage

Be sure to replace NUCLEUS with NUCLEUSPLUS if you have a Nucleus+ If asked for a username and password, use Guest for both.

Original Document:

Feel free to elaborate on that “can’t see” part.

Just to make things clear here: HBS 3 on your NAS is a backup/sync software for your NAS and not arbitrary other devices. You can setup a two way or one way (your folder on the NAS is the master in that case) sync job for a folder on your NAS.

grafik

For what to put in the fields, check the information @Rugby provided.

If this (a sync job) is not what you are looking for, start looking for other software. There is other software in the App Center for backups. I don’t know any of those and their capabilities. You obviously can’t use any that needs a component installed on a Nucleus or ROCK.

PS: Why do you even want that? As there are no files showing up atomamagically in my Roon watched folder, I also don’t need an automatic backup. How do you use/manage the contents of your watched folder?

This looks almost the same as my ReadyNAS backup software.

When on the screen Blackjack posted, enter the IP address, then go down to destination folder and browse vi the dropdown (which will also let you know if you can see the drive) or enter /data/storage/InternalStorage