Active speakers -- the future of Hifi?

Which is the connection of this thread with RoPieee ?
May be a moderator could move the thread to a more appropriate section

This topic is entitled " Active speakers – the future of Hifi?" which is right on point. Not sure what topic title you’re seeing.

I never made any specific statements about the amps used by Dynaudio. The link to another thread is clearly announced as my opinion already. Whether here nor in the other thread I ever made any statement about SQ or that SQ of active speakers might be inferior. In this thread as well as in the other one I wrote that classic active speakers, like your ATC for example, may be a good way to go to simplify matters if that is the goal.
My only REAL concern shared is about the “smart” part of “smart speakers”. If users understand the implications and still want to buy them, I’m fine with that.

So to me it seems, we’re basically on the same track (“They all suffer from the same issues A) C) and D) on my list above”). So what do you want from me?

It is in Audio Gear Talk / Ropieee ….

I moved it a level up to #audio-gear-talk.

2 Likes

I love my D&D 8cs and my Devialet Phantoms.

I will love them somewhat less when something eventually goes wrong with them.

1 Like

Ahh… Sorry @Stefano_Antonelli . . Didn’t see that. Thanks for moving @BlackJack

No talk of the real “killer feature” of actives, it’s what distinguishes actives from powered speakers and passives :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been running actives for years…DIY, but now commercial built options are available. Highly recommended!

Linkwitzlab.com magiclx521.com

1 Like

I’m using DIY full-range line-source speakers, equalized and room-corrected via convolution, directly connected to amp outputs – with their impulse/step/amplitude response being very close to the theoretical ideal, music just sounds as natural as the recording allows for.

Multi-way systems, active or not, may have deeper bass, crisper highs and louder louds, but usually don’t paint as palpable an aural picture.

If done digitally with linear phase filters they sound closer, but with a sweet spot much smaller the sound stage just collapses on moving around a bit.

Could my setup be improved upon, oh yes!
Better drivers, more heroic cabinet construction, room acoustics – but that’ll probably be blowing the budget and marital status…

1 Like

And as suspected it’s using a well known streaming board from Streamunlimited , this stuff is used in Naims kit amongst others so likely will have support for quite some time and perform well.

2 Likes

Have you considered the power consumption as well? Even ATC will for sure end up with classD amplification or similar one day.

The tone is a bit sarcastic, but on the content side I think you have a point: Let’s keep the part which don’t necessarily date (speakers and maybe amps) seperate and replace only the stuff which falls under the software update “spell” (servers, remotes, renders, wireless connections).

Trouble though is something all integrated is so much more sleek and cool (that’s where the fashion comes in!)

Two issues with your list:

1. The cost of upgrading a 1990’s pair of 50ASLs is near enough the same RRP as a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c’s.
  2. The new cost of a Pair of 50ASLs is circa £17,000.

When I bought my brand new (made to order) ATC 50ASL’s approx. 10 years ago, they cost me £8,000.

Moving on, I’ve since owned quite a few hi-end system and now own Dutch & Dutch 8c’s and they are much more advanced than anything ATC offer. Both companies have completely different principals. ATC are still and awesome company, don’t get me wrong and I’d still consider them as the most boom proof design in the pro world, but ATC are no longer competitive in the domestic or cross-over market.

Check out Meridian who have been making and upgrading high performance active speakers for a very long time. My Special Edition electronics and tweeters were installed years after I purchased a previous incarnation once they developed new technologies.

3 Likes

I have to agree Brad, and my long term fanboi interest in Meridian was ultimately why I ended up at Roon.

I’ve got a pair of DSP8000SEs and a pair of DSP5200SEs, and a couple of F80s. All are incredible in their own way. Meridian speakers are wonderfully uncoloured, detailed, transparent, and neutral. I’ve reached the point where I’m not looking for anything else (I’m not even remotely interested in the new XEs).

2 Likes

ATC do something similar and in sure PMC will be able to as well. Along with meridian very well respected companies.

Hope this isn’t considered a stupid question… I’ve been a long-time “conventional” Roon user ("conventional stereo including a Roon server + lots of Roon Ready devices throughout the house - mostly Google Home speakers). But I stumbled over this thread while looking for more information on the Dynaudio Focus series which are described as Roon Ready. Let’s say I did something crazy like replace my main system (which includes my Roon server) with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 50s. If I want to use Roon on them, I would still have to have a Roon server connected to them, right? In other words, I could get rid of the REST of my traditional system (the “boxes” - speakers, amps, pre-amp, turntable, turntable pre-amp and the 100 ft. of associated cables) but I’d need to have the Roon server. Correct? Thanks!!!

To use Roon you must have a computer device of some sort running the Roon core software.

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks

You don’t have to have the Core directly connected to an audio device. In fact it is preferred to put your Core in a location where you don’t even listen to music. Also, your Google speakers are Roon supported (Roon allows streaming to Chromecast devices) but far from Roon ready. Roon ready devices are certified by Roon to work with their system and use RAAT for streaming.