Add option to turn off in-app update reminders

I would very much like an option to turn off the in-app update reminders or to make them less frequent. A number of serious bugs have been introduced with updates lately, and I’d like to wait before updating to make sure that there aren’t any new bugs that might affect the functionality of my system.

At present you can always opt not to apply any update…

@Mark_Sealey Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’m aware that one isn’t technically forced to update. The issue is that I’d like to opt to not apply an update once, not every single time I use the app. The prompt to update is disruptive and annoying, and pops up every single time I use the app. My options are to either X out of the prompt that partially obstructs the screen every single time so that I can use the app properly or agree to update to a version that is likely to have significant bugs. It makes for a frustrating user experience.

1 Like

The problem with this strategy is that you have to make sure you disable all app updates on your mobile devices as well, presuming you use them, which most people do. The mobile apps are designed and tested to work only with their corresponding server releases.

If you don’t use mobile devices as Roon Remotes, then your wish for this feature set would make sense, however.

1 Like

@DDPS Yes, the suggestion is that one could turn off update reminders on the mobile app for Roon as well. There have been bugs with updates to both the iOS app and the server recently. (For example, there is a longstanding bug with the iOS where the app freezes multiple times a day and requires the user to restart it for it to work again, and there is a separate bug with the server where Airplay devices no longer work with Roon.) Unfortunately, Roon isn’t consistently providing releases that are stable. Until they start doing that again, I don’t want to receive a prompt to update every single time I use the app.

The problem is that iOS does not offer a way to do that on a per-app basis. You either disable all app updates, or allow them.

@DDPS the request is to turn off the in-app reminder that pops up every single time I use the app. This reminder is set by Roon. No other apps on my phone have an in-app reminder/prompt like this. This is not related to the iOS setting that governs whether apps are all automatically updated or need to be manually updated. And, just to clarify, the request is to turn off the pop-up, not to turn off updates as set by the iOS. People who have the always automatically update option on in the iOS would never see the in-app prompt. So this issue does not apply to them. But for those like me who have chosen to manually update apps, it would make a big difference.

Understood. But my point is that your iOS app will update, and if you don’t do the corresponding update on your server/core, you may very well wind up with a broken solution.