Add support for single audio files with embedded CUE sheets

To aid the OP I’ve merged these posts into this existing topic.

Hi,
I’ve merged your post into the existing feature request topic, last post in here was about 15 days ago.
The Roon guys typically do not comment on features request unless there is a firm “no” so it still possible but honestly I’d say very unlikely as FLAC/CUE are viewed as a somewhat outdated format and can be batch converted to separate files (see previous discussions in this topic on how to do that).

1 Like

If you REALLY want Roon

If you are using JRiver, you have the tool, however big a job it is.

Highlight an album/ multiple albums and Convert Format,

If you are brave highlight 8000 albums and click GO :smiling_imp:

But seriously the conversion is painless and will create a split “mirror” of your current file structure

Then “just” import into Roon.

I have done many albums that way over the years

1 Like

I’ve never used JRiver but it sounds like you have just the tool at your disposal. I’d guess @Mike_O_Neill’s will be less painful than my suggestion.

Thanks for that - but I fear even a little scripting is beyond my limited technical abilities!

Thanks Mike, It’s only about 5,000 are in that format but its a bit of a task to find and isolate them (I found the exact number by doing a file search for CUE files in Windows Explorer). I’d probably need another external drive too as my music files take up more than 4Tb. I can vaguely understand why Roon don’t want to go to the bother of doing this, but I feel it’s not great customer service as so many people seem to be looking for it and other, dare I say inferior, software seem to do it without it being too much trouble. I just feel that a premium service should be fully featured to support people who want to migrate easily from legacy formats. But thank you for all your help

Quick and dirty, file size flac >200 mb will find most of them

1 Like

Hi Mike, I am just trying to split albums that contain a large FLAC and a CUE file into seperate FLAC files using JRIVER…
But I have one big problem: JRIVER creates separate FLAC files for me, named correctly, also the number of files is correct, but every splitted FLAC has the same size as the “big” FLAC file that belongs to the CUE file. So JRIVER is actually not splitting. I found a thread at the JRIVER forums, where other people have the same issue.
How did you make it work?

I think Foobar will work for you.

Hmmm… I have a lot of CUE-Albums. Whats great at JRIVER is that I can point to my music-folder and say: import all cue files in there. Then I could select all tracks and export them SOMEHOW to individual flacs.
I cant find any possibility in foobar to import cue files only from a music-folder :frowning:

It’s there in foobar2000. I’ve used it to create individual flac files from a single cue file.

I’ll PM some pictures

I assume there is a CUE file detailing the tracks involved ?

I have some CDs ripped in a single wav and ape file with cue file indicating the track name, however it seems that roon isn’t compatible with cue file and iso file. I wonder when this problem can be solved. If not, what’s the reason. TKS A LOT!

Roon does not support cue and iso files, and is very unlikely to do so in the future. See this post from Danny

@Chen_Dong Have you considered ripping, converting or splitting the CDs again into common lossless formats as your own approach to solving the problem? With the keywords wav ape you will find a lot about this on the internet.

One of the easiest methods is to use software like XLD (on Mac) which will use the cue file to split the file into separate FLAC tracks. These are then recognised and playable by Roon.

1 Like

And for Windows, I find foobar2000 a good tool for splitting cue files and the single track into separate FLAC (or whatever codec you want). And this retains any gapless info needed for gapless playback as well.

2 Likes