Add support for single audio files with embedded CUE sheets

Arguments aside, why not try @kayo ‘s solution. Seems like it would work automatically overnight. Then point Roon to the produced directory. If Roon automatically recognizes the stuff, you’re done, you have your evidence. (If you’re not sure about the future, keep the cue-based files.)

File formats and codecs are not worth arguing about. We do what we need to make things work.

Any recommendation for a cue splitter app for Mac ?

1 Like

I’ve used XLD.

3 Likes

Thanks! Will try it out

I use Max for all splitting and conversion jobs, with a tagging touch-up if needed.

I believe many members are using .cue too managing their music, even they can use cue splitter. But I owners too many music, it’s a hell if I need too convert them all. May be you are one of me! Hopefully, Roon Labs can update this function too save us from cue hell.

1 Like

Hi @Alex_Lok,

I moved your post into this existing topic … it’s worth a read.

As I understand it, Roon have not said “No” but have said it’s low on their priority list …

Personally, given that Roon can perfectly play gapless and there’s a good set of 3rd party tools to split these files … I suspect this in unlikely to happen any time soon.

Hi FLAC+CUE users,

after years of searching for a media server for my music library consisting of FLAC+CUE files I solved the problem in a way that should work for everyone who has a music library on some NAS that supports docker for any media server supporting FLAC (incl. Roon):

Trackfs creates a virtual filesystem (aka FUSE) in which is splits up all FLAC+CUE files in individual tracks (without permanently allocating discspace). It also copies all (most) meta data (incl. pictures) into the individual tracks. Then you use that virtual filesystem as source in your media server.

Hope this helps some of you too. Comments/questions on github are welcome.

Andreas

Jriver media centre , media server has had CUE/FLAC support for years .

Just import into MC and the files show up split, you can use directly or use it to split to single files

1 Like

I am testing a trial of Roon and am highly impressed with the features and amazed at the over-network sound quality.

Can you please add cue sheet support to Roon? Surely I am not the only user who has, over the years, ripped their compact disks as image wav files with associated cue sheets. The large wav file is subsequently converted to one large flac file. When I open my library in JRiver it associates the cue sheet of the rip with the large flac file and displays individual tracks that I am able to select and play. When I open the same file in Roon it displays as one large file with no ability to select individual tracks.

I have read that in light of gapless playback that cue sheets are considered obsolete. I beg to differ. I have found gapless playback to actually have audible gaps when moving from one track to another.

Second, it is suggested that the image file be broken in to individual tracks. When one has imaged thousands of CDs this is really not an option.

I would give you a solid A for software quality, but I’d give you an A+ by bringing along the older audiophiles who created their library with disc images as opposed to individual files.

Thank you for your consideration.

AJ

1 Like

Hmm, well, I had already read those before and it seems the general answer is: We at Roon find it a meaningless feature and have no desire or motivation to add it. That is a real pity.

If is such a technical hurdle why is JRiver able to utilize cue sheets?

People have been pleading for this feature since 2015…and the pleas are not going away.

I don’t think Roon is saying it’s a technology hurdle , more that they have developed a gapless protocol that renders properly without that support.

I personally have always spit any big flac/cue files to tracks so I don’t have a “backlog”

It sounds like you are coming to Roon via JRiver which supports this feature.

An unpalatable option is to use JRivers Convert Format option to achieve this split, simply hi light the albums and convert . Do this before you import into Roon if you are a new user, it will make import and ID in Roon more effective.

That conversion should take maybe 2 mins per Album and can be done as a batch process say overnight.

It’s been said above, it’s unlikely Roon will implement this feature,

Unfortunately if your library is in this format Roon will be useless to you.

The other option is CUETools which can also do batch operations

1 Like

Thank you for the kind reply Mike. I wasn’t aware JRiver could convert format, so I will give that a try. The sound quality of Roon over Ethernet is such that I will purchase the software anyway. I cannot go back to USB or other connection types. If I can easily split images I already have that will make the process of converting to split WAV/FLAC less painful…and keep me compatible with the way things are being done. All new rips are being done in a split WAV format.

The Convert Format option in JRiver worked! Converting my images to split files won’t be so painful after all. Just a bit of cleanup using Mp3tag and I’m on my way. Thank you again Mike!

1 Like

You’re welcome

Good luck

Hi, I know this has been brought up before but the last post I can see is from four years ago. Will Roon ever support FLAC/CUE files?

I bought a year’s subscription and have hardly used it even though it looks fabulous. This is because I have about 8,000 albums of which half have been ripped with EAC using CUE files. It’s far too many to try to split them all, so I’m still using JRiver for playback.

My subscription is coming up for renewal so I need to know if this feature will ever be included because if it isn’t I can’t see the value in renewing. Anyway, sorry if this is an old question but it’s relevant to me now.

Regards
Brendan

1 Like

This is probably an unanswerable question, other than with an “I don’t know.” I have not read or heard any buzz about such a feature. Also, Roon does not often pre-announce feature lists.

If you wish to promote the idea, post to Feature Requests and include a persuasive use case.

1 Like

Hi @Brendan_Cronin and welcome to the Roon forums.

Depending on your Roon core operating system and inclination it’s possible to split your collection using some FOSS tools and a little scripting. This answer has plenty of ideas/solutions.

2 Likes

There is already an existing Feature Request for Roon to support FLAC/CUE files - and it dates from the very earliest days of Roon - from 2015.

The posts in that thread include responses from @danny - and I think it’s pretty clear from those that this feature has a very low probability of being added to Roon.

2 Likes